Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-25-2014, 04:44 AM   #1
wrightsl
wrightsl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Position of Buttons in Dialog Boxes

When did the buttons in the dialog boxes get moved? I have just upgraded and the buttons have moved. This is a disaster ! I have been using calibre for so long that I do not look at the buttons but automatically put the mouse in the right place! No graphical User Interface that I have ever used ( and I have been involved with computers for over 40 years) has had the OK button on the left, it is ALWAYS the rightmost button. All the UI standards and design advice is to put the affirmative button on the right and the most negative on the left. Please change back to the correct positioning ASAP
wrightsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:07 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Umm, select a file in Windows Explorer, press the delete key, the OK button is on the left.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2014, 05:13 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you are talking about OS X, then OK buttons are on the right in both OSX native dialogs and in calibre.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightsl View Post
...All the UI standards and design advice is to put the affirmative button on the right and the most negative on the left...
The guidelines for MS Windows applications, so those for approximately 95% of the installed PC OS base worldwide, are the opposite to what you claim (for example, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr.../dn742499.aspx ). They state from left to right:

"Present the commit buttons in the following order:
  1. OK/[Do it]/Yes
  2. [Don't do it]/No
  3. Cancel
  4. Apply (if present)
  5. Help (if present)"
As far as I have ever seen this guideline is generally adhered to for Windows applications, Calibre included.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Ignore me

Last edited by chaley; 10-25-2014 at 05:20 PM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Apart from conforming to the standards/conventions on the placement of buttons, calibre does something else that many applications don't do. This is to honour the mouse pointer Snap To setting.

I wonder if the OPs problem is due to that setting being turned off, on Win7 its normally at the Control Panel->Mouse->Pointer Options tab - I have a gut feeling the default setting is off.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:45 PM   #7
wrightsl
wrightsl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I am running on Linux Mint 17 (and various other Linux distros) and the buttons used to be with OK on the right (at least from Ubuntu Karmic onwards), it has now changed. Is their some preferences that I can set to return it to the old locations? Windows has always gone against Unix/Linux/Mac and other good GUI designs.
wrightsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:01 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Button layout order in linux depends on the desktop environment. KDE uses OK buttons on the left, copying windows, while GNOME copies OS X, for instance. In any case, it is Qt that chooses the button order, you will likely have to wait for your distro to add support for Qt 5 with a Qt 5 theme, and then use that system theme in Preferences->Look & Feel->User interface style.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:37 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I looked into ti and figured out a way to force Qt 5 to use GNOME button layouts under the GNOME, UNITY and MATE desktop environments, even when not using the system theme.

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...45044b42600575
Old 10-26-2014, 09:06 AM   #10
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Apart from conforming to the standards/conventions on the placement of buttons, calibre does something else that many applications don't do. This is to honour the mouse pointer Snap To setting.

BR
it would be great if the various plugins also did that e.g. modify epub, count pages- those are the ones htat I use most.

I do see that calibre now puts the plug in pop ups in a better & consistent location - they used to sometimes appear part-way off my screen - and it brings them up with a little animation
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I looked into ti and figured out a way to force Qt 5 to use GNOME button layouts under the GNOME, UNITY and MATE desktop environments, even when not using the system theme.

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...45044b42600575
You forgot one.

Cinnamon is a recent GNOME3 fork, and conforms to the traditional GNOME button layout.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I have no idea what Cinammon sets for XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP, most likely it is GNOME, in which case it should just work, if not somebdy that runs it needs to post

env | grep XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP
Old 10-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #13
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
it would be great if the various plugins also did that e.g. modify epub, count pages- those are the ones htat I use most.
Cybmole:

The Modify Epub plugin snaps to setting (to "OK") for me on Windows platform (one must, of course, enable it in "Mouse Pointer Options" or set "Smartmove" if using the commonly used Logitech control).

I cannot comment on the Count Pages plugin as I don't use it, nor on the behaviour on other OSs.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I have no idea what Cinammon sets for XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP, most likely it is GNOME, in which case it should just work, if not somebdy that runs it needs to post

env | grep XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP
On ArchLinux, using cinnamon-desktop:
Code:
X-Cinnamon
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

OK, though according to http://standards.freedesktop.org/men...atest/apb.html it should be CINNAMON, but I've added both.

Tags
gui