Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 01-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #91
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Well, I mentioned it in the other thread but I thought that The Crimes of Jordan Wise by Bill Pronzini was a good read. The narrator did a good job and the story is worthy of a Cohen brothers movie with embezzlement, lust, and murder.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:44 AM   #92
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
I finally got an audio jack that works off of the 12volt system in my car so I can start listening to books from my mP3 player commuting.

I'm listening to Little Bee by Chris Cleave. Anne Flosnick reads it, she is a fantastic reader, amazing accents for the characters.

Little Bee is a teen Nigerian refugee, the story starts with her being released from a refugee internment facility outside of London. (after being interred for 2 years) Among her possessions a battered business card and a British driver's license that isn't her own. The story unfolds through Little Bee relating snippets of her past to the present. The driver's license and business card belong to a man who was vacationing in Africa. While fleeing for their lives, Little Bee and her sister have an encounter on the beach with the Englishman and his wife.

Last edited by beespeckled; 01-13-2012 at 12:53 AM. Reason: rephrasing
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #93
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Brideshead Revisited

I listen to a lot of courses from The Teaching Company - mostly about music, but just finished my first audiobook. I got Brideshead Revisited, read by Jeremy Irons, from iTunes. He does does a fabulous job - it was great.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #94
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
My son and I started The Cat in the Hat and Other Dr. Seuss Favorites last night before bed. He fell asleep during the second story so it'll last us a while.

I started Just a Guy by Bill Engvall, funny so far, I'm an hour into it.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #95
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I'm listening to Immortality Inc. by Robert Sheckley. This was first published in 1959 and Matt Groening must have read it at some point to come up with Futurama. Thomas Blaine, a yacht designer who dies in a car accident in 1958 has this corporation from the future use time travel and other technology to put his mind into someone else's body in 2110.

It is a crazy, funny future, like Futurama and there is heavy emphasis on the afterlife that has been discovered and what comes of that. Zombies are what happens when someone's mind/personality is put in a not-fresh body. Ghosts are what happens when the "death trauma" doesn't disperse the mind/personality but makes it insane. Our boy Blaine's attempts to navigate this new world are pretty funny at times. Its a good listen.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #96
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Greetings and I hope you all don't mind if I chime in. I just thought I would join in on this thread as I am a inveterate audio book listener. I've been lurking but not posting much.

I commute about 35 minutes one way and use a Sanza Clip for my audio books from Audible.com. I've been a subscriber there since about 1999.

I'm currently listening to "The Elephant to Hollywood" narrated by Michael Caine. Wonderful. I'm not much on biographies, auto or otherwise, but this is very good. I just finished listening to "Reamde" by Neal Stephenson which was good, but not as good (I thought) as his previous works. The narration by Malcolm Hillgartner was superb though!! And just before that one was "Ready Player One" which I thought was very good.

I've discovered over the years that some books/stories translate very well to narration and others, not so much. IMO Stephen King's Dark Tower series was just such a marvelous epic. I read the first couple installments and didn't relish them as much as I did the narrated versions. It really was one of those series that I just hated to see end.

Thank you for putting up with my ramblings and such.

Howard

PS I also do e-books on my Velocity Cruz E-Reader and new this Christmas: a Kindle cheapo with the ads.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #97
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Hoopster: I've seen rambling posts, and yours wasn't even close - welcome!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #98
CarolineNH
Expert napper
CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, Kindle Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile_Reader View Post
I'm 2/3 through "Steve Jobs" by Walter Isaacson, version made by Audible. I like it a lot, even that it loses a bit of impact in the mid section (it's over 24 hours long in total). The narration is very good, and especially amusing when Steve Wozniak is 'played'.
Glad to hear this! Just got the book on CD from the library, and it will be up next on my iPod.

Right now I'm listening to John Grisham's "The Appeal" - almost through disk 8 of 10. I mostly listen during my barn chores (and on walks, which I haven't had a chance to do in the last couple of weeks). I wish I had time to go for a walk - I find it quite engrossing!

Last edited by CarolineNH; 01-21-2012 at 07:38 PM.
CarolineNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #99
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Just finished listening to The Land of Laughs by Jonathan Carroll, wonderfully narrated by Edoardo Ballerini.

I also have it in epub format and I know this is a book I'll revisit frequently over the years.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #100
Shiromi
Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Trying to get through the latest Honor Harrington audiobook but with great difficulty. I'm a VO person who wants to get into audiobooks so I'm always listening for the performance, and this one is just painful. The accents, particularly the British ones, are bad. The kind of ones I'd see at community theatre auditions (not productions, auditions). Gosh, I hate being so negative about it... Well, on the upside, it does get me through my workouts in the morning!
Shiromi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #101
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Currently listening to World War Z and enjoying it a lot its the first time I've listened to a book with so many narrators and it works very well.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:50 AM   #102
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Currently listening on my iPod Jim Dale's Harry Potter. Brilliant listening.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #103
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
I'm currently listening to 'Her Royal Spyness', a murder mystery with the main protagonist being a woman who is right on the edge of British royalty being the 34th person from the crown. The story is set in 1936 during the Prince Edward - Mrs. Simpson scandal. The reader has one of those wonderful voices I could listen to all day. This is the first book in a series and I am definitely ready to follow it up with the second book.

Before this I read 'Ready Player One', which I believe has been mentioned before. It is a sci-fi story set thirty years in the future, but it is really about 1980s geek and pop culture. I think you needed to be at least in your teens or twenties during the 1980s to get the nearly endless stream of trivia.

Two winners in a row. Hopefully the next book in my queue, 'The Red Pyramid' will be good, too.

Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #104
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I'm almost finished Sophie's World which I picked up for free through a promotion earlier this year by The Guardian newspaper. It's a philosophy textbook disguised as a delightful story about a young girl. It's been a wonderful journey from ancient Greece through the Romantics of Europe. Some of the descriptions of the various philosophies were a bit dry and dense, but overall I've enjoyed the story and the numerous examples go a long way towards understanding the different schools of philosophical thought.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #105
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
I don't know whether to put this here or in the Stephen King thread currently running. Oh well six of one...

It seems that the original book "The Stand" is coming out on Audible.com. The complete, original, uncut, unabridged, etc. version. The thing is 47 hours long!! It has an added 500 pages more than the one with only 800 pages, or would have if it wasn't an audio book.

I loved "The Stand", but another 500 pages??!! I believe I shall give it a pass. I think.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations