Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #136
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Edit /var/local/system/drivemode_online or do a factory reset.
I doubt that editing makes any sense, just because /var/local/system/drivemode_online
gets rewritten by the content of SYS_GADGET_ONLINE file on every [re]boot.

BTW, EDIT and EDIT2 above suggest different settings for /var/local/system/drivemode.
I tried both with no luck.

Adding a line to /etc/init.d/volumd can be a quick and dirty workaround.
At least, this works for me:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

CONF_NAME=volumd
PMOND_START="lipc-set-prop com.lab126.pmond start "
PMOND_STOP="lipc-set-prop com.lab126.pmond stop"

NAME="Volume daemon"
DAEMON=/usr/sbin/volumd
PIDFILE=/var/run/`basename $DAEMON`.pid
_FUNCTIONS=/etc/rc.d/functions
[ -f ${_FUNCTIONS} ] && . ${_FUNCTIONS}

if [ -r /etc/sysconfig/mntus ]; then
        source /etc/sysconfig/mntus
        DAEMON_ARGS="-d $MNTUS_DEV"
fi

case "$1" in
        start)
                if [ -x "$DAEMON" ]; then
                        msg "starting $NAME" I
            $PMOND_START $CONF_NAME
            echo /dev/mmcblk0p4 > /sys/devices/platform/arc_udc/gadget/gadget-lun0/file
                fi
                ;;
        stop)
                if [ -r "$PIDFILE" ]; then
                        msg "stopping $NAME" I
                    $PMOND_STOP $CONF_NAME
fi
                ;;
        *)
                msg "Usage: /etc/init.d/$NAME {start|stop}" W >&2
                exit 1
                ;;

esac

exit 0
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #137
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I just got a Kindle DX US version and I can say that the 3G works with the fix I proposed a few posts earier. The USB mounting still does not work, trying to find a "clean" fix.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2011, 01:48 AM   #138
kindle-hopes
kindle-hopes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
I just tried the dirty /var/local/system/drivemode_online hack, and it worked - apparently even after a restart. Since I am not interested in 3G at all (don't want amazon to spy on me, and have it off all the time anyway), I have now a fully functioning (for my purposes) Kindle DXG with adequate PDF capabilities (well, highlighting and annotating at least).

Many many thanks to Yifan Lu who made that possible! I guess I am off now and might check back at some point to see how the hack progresses. But for me, its already perfect...
kindle-hopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #139
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, I got USB working. The solution is what I posted before. However: Most text editors insert an invisible "end" character at the end of the text file, hex 0A. This screws up the volumed. So, use something like "sed" to edit the file without inserting the end character or use a hex editor to edit the file.

Now the only problem (that I can see) are 1) installer out of memory, and 2) web browser isn't rendering on the DX correctly because of the larger screen size.

EDIT: Aaannd, I fixed the browser rendering bug. Replace the contents of /etc/fb.modes with
Code:
mode "824x1200-0"
# D: 0.000 MHz, H: 0.000 kHz, V: 0.000 Hz
geometry 824 1200 824 1200 4 
timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
accel false
rgba 0/0,0/0,0/0,0/0
endmode

mode "824x1106-0"
geometry 824 1106 824 1106 4 
timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
accel false
rgba 0/0,0/0,0/0,0/0
endmode

mode "824x1106-0"
geometry 824 1106 824 1106 8 
timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
accel false
rgba 0/0,0/0,0/0,0/0
endmode

mode "1200x906-0"
geometry 1200 906 1200 906 8 
timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
accel false
rgba 0/0,0/0,0/0,0/0
endmode

mode "1200x824-0"
geometry 1200 824 1200 824 8
timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
accel false
rgba 0/0,0/0,0/0,0/0
endmode
Web browser will not work in landscape mode. I don't know if that's easily fixable or not because the Kindle 3 does not support changing orientation. Nvm, just another fbmode fix. Another weird bug is that when the Kindle is in sleep mode for a while, it just shuts off. Maybe it's something to do with me using an older version of powerd.

Now, I just need to fix the installer and I'll release an update.

I've also made a demo showing off the PDF reader and web browser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMFIYSGLz4M

EDIT: The suspending power error is really annoying. I don't know how to fix it. basically, when you leave the kindle in screensaver mode, it's supposed to slow down the CPU to conserve battery. However, on 3.1, it just freezes the Kindle and requires a forced restart. Currently, I'm going to have to disable suspending, which will decrease battery life.

EDIT 2: Nvm. used 3.1 powerd that didn't work on kindle 2 on dx and it works.

Last edited by yifanlu; 05-10-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #140
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
Ok, I got USB working. The solution is what I posted before. However: Most text editors insert an invisible "end" character at the end of the text file, hex 0A. This screws up the volumed.
if so, please correct your previous guideline, which explicitly requires the 0x0A to be present:
Quote:
EDIT 2: If you have USB problems, these are the values (in /etc/kdb.src/mario/system/driver/usb/gadget/ open the file and paste it after "<DATA>" make sure you have a new line at the end of the file):
Thank you very much for your great work!
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #141
DickeFix
Enthusiast
DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 3Wifi+3G and DX
Yifanlu, this is fantastic news for all Kindle 2, Kindle DX and DXG owners! Very impressive work!

Could you please try to make an update package which includes these changes and works on the Kindle 3G? I am a bit afraid of using Qinbills method since - if I understands the code correctly - it modifies the system on Kindle 3G.
DickeFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #142
dpavlin
Connoisseur
dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Kindle K3G and DXG
Building dxg update fails on k3g using beta 2.3

I own K3G (3G+Wifi) D00901 - 3.1 558700031 and DXG D00801 - 2.5.8 555370010 and I'm trying to test update of dxg to 3.1 using kindle-updater-beta-2-3.

update_dxg-2.5.8-prepare_kindle.bin on DXG runs well and produces all expected files:

Code:
dpavlin@t61p:~$ ls -al /mnt/usb/output/
total 694948
drwxr-xr-x 2 dpavlin dpavlin 4096 May 11 17:51 .
drwxr-xr-x 9 dpavlin dpavlin 4096 Jan 1 1970 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 dpavlin dpavlin 474 May 11 17:44 make-backup.log
-rwxr-xr-x 1 dpavlin dpavlin 297 May 11 16:56 make-image.log
-rwxr-xr-x 1 dpavlin dpavlin 419454976 May 11 17:51 rootfs.img
-rwxr-xr-x 1 dpavlin dpavlin 292155092 May 11 17:44 update_restore-os.bin
However, update_k3g-3.1-create_updater.bin on K3G finishes in only 10 minutes and restarts kindle which which doesn't display any files or respond to menu key presses or tries to connect to laptop via usb.

After 20 second power reset, I get UPDATE ERROR:3 and suggestion to use R to resume kindle which I did.

After that, rootfs.img is still there, and only file in output directory is make-package.log with:

Code:
Fri May 13 18:12:25 CEST 2011: checking for enough free space to continue
Fri May 13 18:12:25 CEST 2011: mounting rootfs image to /tmp/.rootfs.998
Fri May 13 18:12:25 CEST 2011: retrieving filelist and patches
Fri May 13 18:12:25 CEST 2011: saving required files to /tmp/.save-root.998.tar
Fri May 13 18:12:30 CEST 2011: removing old files from rootfs image
Fri May 13 18:12:34 CEST 2011: copying new files to rootfs image
I'm puzzled by this. I don't see any errors about tts mentioned in this thread, but I did try with NO_TTS and it didn't help.

Looking into kindle-updater-beta-2-3-src/packages.lst I can see that it has LF as last byte, so I assume that I don't need suggestion to add LF for 2.3 version of update and rebuild bin files.

Is it possible to run creation manually over usbnetwork to get more error messages?
dpavlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #143
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

This is the only error that prevents a stable release. If you look a few threads back, it was suggested that the problem was caused by low memory and someone proposed using rsync instead of cp. I will try that when I have time. All releases are open source so if you want to do it manually, read the source.

UPDATE

I've finally posted all the changes I've made. Mainly, 3G, power, USB, and web browser fixes for the DX (tested on US DX) and using rsync to copy files. While using rsync may not fix the problem, I've made it output verbose so the logs should be more helpful such as where it crashes and when.

This release is completely untested as my Kindles are working correctly and I don't want to break them again. I'm too busy to fix Kindles these days. For this reason, there may be obvious syntax errors or such. Just remember, post logs and information and I'll try to fix as fast as I can.

UPDATE 2
Linux experts, please read to check my logic in this rsync command: I want a way to copy all files and directories from location X to location Y while skipping a list of files & directories & deleting extra files/directories that are not copied or excluded. Does this work?

rsync --exclude-from=${FILE_LIST} --delete --progress -vvax / ${ROOT}/

FILE_LIST is a text file like:
Code:
/dev
/etc/udev/rules.d/10-mario.rules
/mnt
Notice it's in absolute path and I don't want to skip ALL folders named "dev" or "mnt" just the ones in root.

In addition, the command should delete extra files that are not copied nor excluded, right?

Again, I don't have the time to test, so someone else needs to check my logic.

Last edited by yifanlu; 05-13-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:04 AM   #144
DickeFix
Enthusiast
DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 3Wifi+3G and DX
Very good news! The entire update process worked without any problems. No errors or anything. And now both 3G, GPRS, USB and the pdf viewer work on my DXG! This is great to enjoy full webpages and the webkit browser on the large screen!

The only small remaining problem is that the sound still crackles and sparks.
DickeFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:50 AM   #145
biodu
Enthusiast
biodu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
I am also interested into version 3.1 on my DXG . Especially to have the new browser. Unfortunately I dont have access to a Kindle 3G. Can anybody help?

Thanks so much

Last edited by biodu; 05-14-2011 at 06:10 AM.
biodu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:13 AM   #146
nuup
nuup began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
I am in the same situation as biodu was. Could anybody help me with necessary files to update dxg?
nuup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:10 AM   #147
dpavlin
Connoisseur
dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Kindle K3G and DXG
Thanks a lot yifanlu, beta-3 works fine on DXG. Even rotation sensor works -- something I didn't really expected.

PDF contrast options and WebKit browsers where my motivation for trying this out, and I very grateful for all hard effort you and others on this thread made so I can get something which Amazon doesn't provide.

Interesting thing about sound ticks is that they continue even when kindle is suspended. TTS also have unusual pauses on each comma or period (, or .) and seems a little bit too fast, which seems like sample rate is wrong somewhere. Do you have any helpful tips where to look?

Update: after first page or so, TTS stops having pauses but still ticks. It also works better with male voice than with female with is stored on /mnt/us and uses fuse filesystem for access which introduces additional overhead, I guess.

I can see error messages in /var/log/messages about volume:

Code:
110514:150149 audioServer[6886]: E def:mo::Failed to set volume (No master output)
but changing volume using keys DOES work!

I also noted that free displays

Code:
[root@kindle log]# free
Unknown HZ value! (86) Assume 100.
which might be part of problem is other tools also assume HZ=100, alltough I can see that we are not using HZ:

Code:
[root@kindle log]# gzip -cd /proc/config.gz | grep HZ
CONFIG_NO_HZ=y
CONFIG_HZ=300
Also, we all should have in mind that DXG has only 128 Mb or RAM as compared to K3G which has 256 Mb. So, expecting everything to work perfectly is somewhat optimistic. I might try to compile compcache which Android devices uses to replace swap but it does take a bit of precious memory to provide compressed swap and uses CPU time.

Last edited by dpavlin; 05-14-2011 at 09:07 AM.
dpavlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #148
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

A small request. Even if the install worked, it would still be great to see some logs.

Also, those of you without kindle 3. I have no problems with people who post pre-compiled images. But note that 1) it is illegal, 2) I am not responsible for what happens, and 3) you should credit me and my site.

Last edited by yifanlu; 05-14-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #149
the-equinoxe
Hardware Tweaker
the-equinoxe began at the beginning.

Device: K3-Wifi
Quote:
A small request. Even if the install worked, it would still be great to see some logs.

Also, those of you without kindle 3. I have no problems with people who post pre-compiled images. But note that 1) it is illegal, 2) I am responsible for what happens, and 3) you should credit me and my site.
Hope you meant:
"I am NOT responsible for what happens."

BTW, yifanlu, would it also be illegal to create and distribute some sort of a diff patch (like current official updates)? (this is (AFAIK) how iPhone devs are releasing their hacks so they don't have to spread illegal copyrighted material)
Since it is an upgrade it should be possible (though I think it will be a lot of work to create and to upload all these, but still manageable..)
the-equinoxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #150
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-equinoxe View Post
Hope you meant:
"I am NOT responsible for what happens."

BTW, yifanlu, would it also be illegal to create and distribute some sort of a diff patch (like current official updates)? (this is (AFAIK) how iPhone devs are releasing their hacks so they don't have to spread illegal copyrighted material)
Since it is an upgrade it should be possible (though I think it will be a lot of work to create and to upload all these, but still manageable..)
Even if it's a diff patch, it's still "diff"ing amazon code with newer amazon code. Also, I do not know how legal it would be to distribute the file system. For, Linux is under GPL. Do they get any legal rights for compiling it? The main thing I care about is the java OS files and some scripts. Those are compelely amazon coded. It's just too much pain to write an updater script.

UPDATE

So, I'm trying out the method I proposed a couple posts back. I want to see if I can do the whole copy process in one command (aka, not more save old files, copy new files, copy old files). I'm trying the rsync --delete command, so it may not work and it may even be dangerous (but I doubt that). Try it out and as always, post your logs!!

Last edited by yifanlu; 05-14-2011 at 08:25 PM.