Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-04-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
s1mp13m4n
Zealot
s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Kindle 3 Book Light ideas

Hello everyone. I have a K3 with no lit Amazon Leather cover for it...I got the cover for $5 off of Craigslist. I am looking for a reading light for it. I have a Kandle 2 given to me as a gift and I like the light as it works fine....however it eats batteries like crazy and uses button cell batteries....which you can get from Amazon but am wondering about other ideas. I do not want to pay $60 for the Amazon lighted cover.
s1mp13m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I bought a 'used' lighted cover from Amazon for my husband...$35.00 instead of the $60. Absolutely could not tell it was used, perfect cover, no marks, works great.

I have been totally pleased with the Kindle lighted cover. After trying about 4 different reading lights for my K1, I was never fully satisfied. They either ate batteries, or did not cast sufficient directed light to read the full page.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool reading lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
I bought a 'used' lighted cover from Amazon for my husband...$35.00 instead of the $60. Absolutely could not tell it was used, perfect cover, no marks, works great.

I have been totally pleased with the Kindle lighted cover. After trying about 4 different reading lights for my K1, I was never fully satisfied. They either ate batteries, or did not cast sufficient directed light to read the full page.

cheers
i use this right now but i also have this on my wish list for christmas!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:06 AM   #4
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
from this thread [shameless plug #457623]
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138206

The light/cover combo I am using and delighted with. Light is a single AAA battery so the housing is very slim. The lamp also has a diffuser so the light is spread very evenly on my K3 as you can see. It is also quite small and VERY inexpensive [though IMO pretty well made at around 10USD].

lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I use the Amazon case with the built in light. I like it for several reasons. First, it is built into the cover. I don't have to remember to bring it. Second, I LOVE the fact that it uses the Kindle's battery. I don't have to buy batteries or have another charger to mess with.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ yeah the Kindle lighted cover was definitely something I considered. I just felt it was overpriced. I may one day reconsider though, but for the meantime, I am really pleased with my combo. Time will tell if I ever become annoyed at having to remember to carry a separate light for night reading in dark places...
Old 07-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I thought it was a bit overpriced as well.... however, the light being integrated into the cover and not being unwieldily like many other lights I've owned (and I have owned several), and the fact that no extra batteries are required ultimately makes it a very good purchase. I've had mine for a year, and have never regretted it.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Amazon lighted case has one major flaw. It gets it's power from the K3's battery. So the more you use it, the less you can use your K3 before it needs to be charged.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

^ Interesting and thanks for the first hand feedback.

The shortened time between charging is a non-issue for me really, when push comes to shove. I have been trained over 17 years of cell phone use to charge stuff regularly - I could easily handle reduced K3 batter life.

Thanks guys, I may reconsider the case eventually.

btw, how is the quality of the light? Even spread across the K3? And the cover is sufficiently thin and stiff to offer good, on-par protection, especially for the screen side?
Old 07-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post

cheers
I agree that it's a nice little piece of kit. The light works well, and it hardly seems to impact the battery life at all - certainly not enough to worry about, given that the Kindle battery goes on and on seemingly for ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar
how is the quality of the light? Even spread across the K3? And the cover is sufficiently thin and stiff to offer good, on-par protection, especially for the screen side?
The light works very well at the sides. If I was to raise any objection, it would be that it slightly fades off at the bottom of the screen, though if you move the light slightly this is fixed, and anyway it is still very readable.

The cover is stiff with soft interior, and provides excellent protection. I don't have a single mark on my 6 month-old Kindle 3 yet. It is expensive, though - half the price of the Kindle, almost, but as it was a present, who am I to complain?

Last edited by orlok; 07-05-2011 at 02:21 PM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #11
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
^ Interesting and thanks for the first hand feedback.

The shortened time between charging is a non-issue for me really, when push comes to shove. I have been trained over 17 years of cell phone use to charge stuff regularly - I could easily handle reduced K3 batter life.

Thanks guys, I may reconsider the case eventually.

btw, how is the quality of the light? Even spread across the K3? And the cover is sufficiently thin and stiff to offer good, on-par protection, especially for the screen side?
Yes, the light does spread across the screen, although with the cover for my first k3, I had to slightly bend the light stem the first time I used it. The cover itself provides great protection for the Kindle, although it is slightly heavier than the cover without the light. Battery life for the K3, with frequent use of the light goes to about 2 weeks.

That's why I was so pleased to be able to purchase a 'used' lighted cover for the same price as the regular cover. My husband uses his infrequently, but it comes in very handy when needed. I tend to use mine fairly frequently.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #12
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I like the Octovo Solis, but it shines in your eye a bit, depending on how you hold it. It's a bit on the expensive side, but it's quite elegant and lasts quite long for just 1xAA battery.

Last edited by kranu; 07-07-2011 at 02:15 AM.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #13
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

^ Thanks kranu! Now this is a seriously lovely piece of kit, right out of the B&O school of design:

And FYI, the site mentions 1xAA battery, not 1xAAA.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:37 PM   #14
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Amazon lighted case has one major flaw. It gets it's power from the K3's battery. So the more you use it, the less you can use your K3 before it needs to be charged.
I find it to be a major plus. I don't have to get batteries, it is one less thing to have to remember, and it is one less charger to have to mess with. In my opinion, these things more than offset the high cost of the Amazon lighted case.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:16 AM   #15
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
And FYI, the site mentions 1xAA battery, not 1xAAA.
Oops! Sorry, I fixed it.

Last edited by kranu; 07-07-2011 at 02:19 AM.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote