Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
KendyfortheState
KendyfortheState began at the beginning.

Device: Windows smartphone
Calibre stopped working on Kubuntu 10.10

Platform is Kubuntu 10.10 64-bit, library resides on an NFS share.

Calibre was working fine up until about a week ago. I may have run updates on Kubuntu in the intervening time, as well as updating Calibre via the python script.

Today I tried to open it and the splash screen came up for a few seconds and then went away. Tried to run from command prompt and got a seg fault, but I think this was due to the fact that Calibre processes were still running.

Went into system monitor and killed it, then ran the python script to update, then tried to run again. It just hangs same as before.

Went into the .config directory and deleted the calibre folder, ran the python install script again and then ran calibre from the command prompt.

The welcome wizard started and asked me to input all the info... I pointed to the NFS share as the library location and set up the smtp stuff and clicked OK... Calibre appeared to hang at this point, though I figured it might be rebuilding the database so let it run for a couple hours, but no change. the command prompt is stuck at 'Trying to open ksycoca from...'.

Finally killed it, deleted the config directory again and re-ran the wizard, this time pointing to a local destination for the library, and it completed ok and Calibre opened up. So I conclude that something has changed in Calibre that won't allow it to access files over nfs any more. Any Ideas?
KendyfortheState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
run it as

calibre-debug -g
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
KendyfortheState

No change

Calibre start up, but as soon as I rerun the welcome wizard and point to the NFS share it hangs again.

What is "ksycoca4"?

rob@rob-kubuntu:~$ calibre-debug -g
libprs500(7045)/ KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Opening cache "/var/tmp/kdecache-rob/icon-cache.kcache" page size is 4096
libprs500(7045)/ KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Attached to cache, determining if it must be initialized
libprs500(7045)/ KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Cache fully initialized -- attached to memory mapping
libprs500(7045)/ KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: 3878912 bytes available out of 10485760
Starting up...
Started up in 0.531444072723
get_metadata cache: 2 calls, 50.00% misses
libprs500(7045)/ KSycocaPrivate:penDatabase: Trying to open ksycoca from "/var/tmp/kdecache-rob/ksycoca4"
Old 01-05-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Using an NFS share for the library is not supported. You're on your own with that.

ksycocoa is irrelevant
Old 01-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
KendyfortheState

NFS Share

I read in this forum a few months ago that nfs was the only format that was supported, which is why I set it up that way... previous to that I had been using a Samba share until it stopped working one day. What is the best way to keep my library on a remote server so that it can be backed up?
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

1) Use the content server

2) Use rsync with a script to launch calibre
Old 01-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
KendyfortheState

Thanks for the assistance... this is a really useful program!
Old 01-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No problem, I use (2) myself.