Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Ebook piracy and your thoughts
Who takes e-books for free, actually work for a living? 10 45.45%
Who works for a living believe they deserve every penny of what they get? 8 36.36%
Would you work for free if you won't be paid? 9 40.91%
Should strangers dictate author's wages? 13 59.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Ebook Piracy

Ebook piracy is a hot topic and a poll has been suggested, so here it is. You can select multiple options as you see fits the situation.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This ought to be good...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:04 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The questions are poorly worded. A "checkbox" poll needs to have clear "I agree" answers; this poll does not.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
Well, the problem is that these are all misleading questions, not really a poll that will reflect what people think about ebook piracy (and what constitutes it).

2-3 don't actually have anything to do with piracy except as a way of mispresenting demographics and the 4th is ultra-misleading in that - that's the way it is NOW. Strangers do dictate an author's wage, by voting with their pocketbooks on if they should or should not buy a book.

Although I think that the question is supposed to suggest a 'pay what you think this book is worth' method? Which, personally, is one that always strikes me as particularly bad.

I think the real questions center around:

1. If people believe format-shifting of ebooks is piracy or not.

2. What to do if there is no authorized electronic copy.

3. The 'is there a lost sale if I'd never have bought it to begin with' theory.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:09 PM   #5
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
<snicker> I love question 4. I worked for the same company for 38 years, and strangers ALWAYS decided my wages. I expect most folks could say the same.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:10 PM   #6
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Do some of the Qs need clarification?

Q1 - don't most of us take ebooks for free (from here if nowhere else)?

Q4 - Authors get 'wages'? (In the UK, wages are payments per hour worked, that are usually paid to an employee once a week. They're generally decided by the employer (and union if relevant).)
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:13 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I don't like any of the options.

I don't see the point of the last one. It's a truism for most authors. Should strangers dictate author's wages? Most of the people who buy your books will be strangers, so the point is beyond debate.

I have better questions:
If a title is not available to buy in electronic form, and you download it; is it stealing? Would your position change if you own a paper copy?

What if the title is not available in any form (paper or electronic)? Is it still stealing? If so, how would you propose that it be paid for?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
My answer to all questions is "it depends". I thinkt it is strange if people can answer them. Are they formulated from an libertarian viewpoint? It occured to me that I might have been debating libertarians here without knowing it and since that is usually meaningless I always want to know in advance if this is the case so I do not have to participate in the debate.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:23 PM   #9
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I'd love to take the poll but I don't understand the choices. If you could reword them into complete sentences (questions), it might help.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:26 PM   #10
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
I think these are what's called "leading questions". You're not supposed to answer them, you're supposed to read the poll and have a mighty sense of righteous indignation that anyone would consider depriving the poor authors of their 'wages' ;-)
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:34 PM   #11
Astropin
Connoisseur
Astropin is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, N800
This poll makes absolutely no sense to me.
Astropin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:50 PM   #12
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Heres my poll
This is this the worst poll ever? -click here 0
This is the second worst poll ever - click here 0

I think this poll represents a fair choice of opinions
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:31 PM   #13
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'll answer the third item: I do a lot of work for free, with no expectation of compensation. For example, right now I'm running a web-based shop selling t-shirts and other swag for one of my favorite authors, Steven Brust, who's having some financial troubles. All proceeds go to him-- I don't take a penny, even though the designs are mine and I've spent many hours of work on them. The shop has been up for 3 weeks and is doing fairly well -- he'll get a nice check after the holidays. (See the shop at http://www.cafepress.com/dragaera -- international customers welcome!)

Mr. Brust has been kind enough to send me several autographed books as a thank you for this work, which I appreciate, but I didn't ask for this compensation and would have done the work regardless.

Now, should it be relevant that while I have Mr. Brust's work in paper (new editions when possible), there are no legal ebook editions, so I've obtained scanned versions of these books from "elsewhere"? My books are mostly packed in the basement, inaccessible in the small house I now occupy. These are books I like to re-read. Mr. Brust would like to make ebook editions available, but his publisher is Tor and the rights are in question. I don't have time to scan and proof these books myself-- I'm spending all my "extra time" running this web shop.

Anyone want to judge my morality?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #14
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
This has to be the most confusing poll ever posted on the internet...ever.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:44 PM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Find out who has the rights to the books, Brust or Tor, and ask them whether the books were authorized to be scanned, and free copies given out. And you'll have your answer.

If I write a new novel, and I sign the rights over to a publisher who decides they will not authorize e-book copies, even I have no right to give you a copy. No one does, except the rights owner. If I retained those rights, I can give you an e-book without hesitation, whether the publisher likes it or not.

Whether you work for someone for pay, or gratis, they are not allowed to pay you or give you something which is not legally theirs to give.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote