Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #16
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I don't know, it is still iBooks...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:03 AM   #17
shaina
shaina began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
well, i had a temporary sol. i converted all p tags to h5 ... n defined style for h5 in css... but is it like <p> tags doesnt behave properly with alignment in xhtml???
shaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 02:15 AM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaina View Post
well, i had a temporary sol. i converted all p tags to h5 ... n defined style for h5 in css... but is it like <p> tags doesnt behave properly with alignment in xhtml???
<p> tags behave properly in xhtml; but they don't in iBooks. By any chance, did you use OTHER tags, like spans, inside the p tags that were properly aligned in the first two chapters? Text alignment tags in iBooks, for centering, for example, work properly ONLY when there is another tag inside the p tags. If, in your correctly-aligned chapters, your paragraphs had spans inside them, then alignment would work. To force iBooks to accept an alignment, you have to have a second element within the main p element, that contains the text.

Alternatively, did you have a main body setting of align: left? Or full-justification? What happens (forgive me if someone asked this) if you turn OFF full-justification for the device itself (the default way that the device is shipped) in Settings? Did you try !important after your css declaration?

You have something wonky going on, because iBooks is shipped with a default setting of full-justification turned on at the device settings level. You actually have to turn it OFF in settings. To troubleshoot, first you have to find out what the device itself is set to as its default; then check your body setting tags; then check the paragraphs that worked the way you wanted (and if they have other elements embedded that contained the text), and those that didn't.

I can't really tell if this is your first ePUB, but if it is, choosing iBooks as your first hurdle of choice isn't the best idea, because you have a lot of things to do to force it to look right that aren't "normal" CSS, like !important tags and wrapping empty spans around everything in order to get the text-alignment that you want, as merely two examples.

Let us know if any of the above pertain...

HTH,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #19
shaina

Is turning on and off the full justification is an issue??? because if your ibook accepts the alignment weather you turn on justification or off it the text will be justified well i switched off mine in order to see original text alignments. secondly, i am using css , so the entire <p> tag in the book have same class and style and there is no text alignment defined for body , moreover no internal tagging is being done with chapters accepting the justification and there should be no linking error too as bcoz if this error is out there we wont be able to see alignments in sigil or ADE . yes it is true m a fresher and there is lot i dont know ..
But you seniors are out there to guide me..
Old 11-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #20
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How does it look in ADE? I bet it looks good. Like Hitch said, iBooks is a nightmare and needs several work-arounds to do what it is supposed to do.
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 04:04 PM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaina View Post
Is turning on and off the full justification is an issue??? because if your ibook accepts the alignment weather you turn on justification or off it the text will be justified well i switched off mine in order to see original text alignments. secondly, i am using css , so the entire <p> tag in the book have same class and style and there is no text alignment defined for body , moreover no internal tagging is being done with chapters accepting the justification and there should be no linking error too as bcoz if this error is out there we wont be able to see alignments in sigil or ADE . yes it is true m a fresher and there is lot i dont know ..
But you seniors are out there to guide me..
@Shaina:

I'm not quite sure I understand the run-on sentence, but, in order:
  • Yes, turning justification on/off at the device level is an issue, because it affects how the text displays in the device. It can override the stated formatting.
  • I understand you are using CSS, but obviously, something is different between your first and second chapters and the rest, otherwise, they would all be displaying the same;
  • Are they all the same in ADE? Or FF ePUBreader? Or some other ePUB reader that isn't, godhelpusall, iBooks?
  • I don't understand your sentence about linking errors? What are you trying to say?
  • I also don't understand what you mean about "moreover no internal tagging is being done with chapters accepting the justification and there should be no linking error too as bcoz if this error is out there we wont be able to see alignments in sigil or ADE," and please, speaking only for myself, don't use TM-speak like bcoz, bcoz I don't have any idea what you're talking about, OR whether you mean something entirely different.
  • Can you please simply paste your CSS for those paragraphs that ARE behaving, versus those that aren't, or are you trying to say that every paragraph has nothing more than a p tag?

If you could clarify, I'm sure we can pretty easily figure out what the issue is--but it's Apple, so it might just be their unique ability to make everyone miserable.

Hitch
Old 11-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In the iOS settings app, you can turn on full justification for iBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:38 AM   #23
shaina

1.Linking errors means error in <link> tag m using for attaching the css.
2.Internal tagging means no second element in the tags.
A class of the css used in all the p tags
.sgc5 {
display: block;
margin-bottom: 1em;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
margin-top: 1em;
text-align:justify
}

A section of Code view of chapter Accepting the alignment:
<body style="">
<h1 class="sgc1" id="heading_id_1">CHAPTER 6</h1>

<p class="sgc2">Understanding online behaviour within a South African user context:</p>

<p class="sgc5">Over the last 16 years, there has been exponential growth in Internet access in Africa. In 1993, only four countries in Africa had access to the Internet. </p>

<p class="sgc5">In 2008, the Internet user base in South Africa has seen its highest rate of growth since 2001, increasing by 12.5 percent to 4,6 million users. </p>

A section of Code view of chapter Not Accepting the alignment:

<body style="">
<h1 class="sgc1" id="heading_id_1">CHAPTER 5</h1>

<p class="sgc2">The increasing importance of privacy online and the role it will play in the evolution of the Internet:</p>

<p class="sgc5">Online privacy and the Semantic Web</p>

<p class="sgc5">The concept of what constitutes privacy is complex. The term privacy has had broad ranging definitions which have been rooted in legal, political, philosophical, sociological and anthropological discussions. </p>
Old 11-26-2011, 06:41 AM   #24
shaina

1.Linking errors means error in <link> tag m using for attaching the css.
2.Internal tagging means no second element in the tags.
A class of the css used in all the p tags
.sgc5 {
display: block;
margin-bottom: 1em;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
margin-top: 1em;
text-align:justify
}

A section of Code view of chapter Accepting the alignment:
<body style="">
<h1 class="sgc1" id="heading_id_1">CHAPTER 6</h1>

<p class="sgc2">Understanding online behaviour within a South African user context:</p>

<p class="sgc5">Over the last 16 years, there has been exponential growth in Internet access in Africa. In 1993, only four countries in Africa had access to the Internet. </p>

<p class="sgc5">In 2008, the Internet user base in South Africa has seen its highest rate of growth since 2001, increasing by 12.5 percent to 4,6 million users. </p>

A section of Code view of chapter Not Accepting the alignment:

<body style="">
<h1 class="sgc1" id="heading_id_1">CHAPTER 5</h1>

<p class="sgc2">The increasing importance of privacy online and the role it will play in the evolution of the Internet:</p>

<p class="sgc5">Online privacy and the Semantic Web</p>

<p class="sgc5">The concept of what constitutes privacy is complex. The term privacy has had broad ranging definitions which have been rooted in legal, political, philosophical, sociological and anthropological discussions. </p>

and yes everything (alignment) is fine in ADE.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #25
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
I think each chapter can have its own sgc definitions defined in each individual file (put there by Sigil). So you need to look at each files definition for differences. Look for the brown code just before the <body> statement.

You old hands feel free to set me straight.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #26
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
I think each chapter can have its own sgc definitions defined in each individual file (put there by Sigil). So you need to look at each files definition for differences. Look for the brown code just before the <body> statement.

You old hands feel free to set me straight.

Regards - John
You just pointed out a good reason for using a single stylesheet (at least for all the sections that want a common style).

Note using a 'All HTML files' Replace that includes any SGC codes is a terrible idea. The same codes do NOT always mean the same from file to file.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #27
Toxaris
Wizard

That is why it is always a bad idea to use sgc names in an external stylesheet. Always change of naming conflicts. I always name my classes so they make sense.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #28
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

In a word: yup. Those SGC codes are utterly worthless for troubleshooting--they could mean ANYTHING from one "chapter" (file) to the next. That's where your trouble lies.

To help further, you'd have to show us the internal SS at the top of each chapter, in which the styles are actually defined. THEN it's likely we'd spot the culprit(s).

Hitch
Old 11-28-2011, 01:37 AM   #29
shaina

Chapter not accepting the alignment
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title>WEB3.0</title>
<meta content="true" name="HandheldFriendly" />
<link href="../Styles/stylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<style type="text/css">

/*<![CDATA[*/

@page { margin-bottom: 5.000000pt; margin-top: 5.000000pt; }
/*]]>*/
</style>
</head>
Chapter Accepting alignment
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title>WEB3.0</title>
<meta content="true" name="HandheldFriendly" />
<link href="../Styles/stylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<style type="text/css">

/*<![CDATA[*/

@page { margin-bottom: 5.000000pt; margin-top: 5.000000pt; }
/*]]>*/
</style>
</head>

i dont know about the problem with sgc class but i tried it other ways too for experiments,
1. Defining p class in css.
2.by defining body class in css.
but of no use.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:20 AM   #30
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
you need to show us the sgc definitions. they will be just below the </head> section
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote