Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
rrburton
Connoisseur
rrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad
iPad + Public Libraries

Not sure if anyone can answer this question but here it goes.

I'm thinking about getting iPad for several reasons including reading ebooks. However I'm not one to purchase books, ebooks or regular. I prefer to use my library. I am fortunate to live in an area where I can get a Chicago Public Library card and thus could use their online "check out a ePUB book" function. Does anyone know how this will work out? Can you think of any special things that need to be done?
rrburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrburton View Post
Not sure if anyone can answer this question but here it goes.

I'm thinking about getting iPad for several reasons including reading ebooks. However I'm not one to purchase books, ebooks or regular. I prefer to use my library. I am fortunate to live in an area where I can get a Chicago Public Library card and thus could use their online "check out a ePUB book" function. Does anyone know how this will work out? Can you think of any special things that need to be done?
Those ebooks are likely to have a drm locking them and making them unusable on the iPad. Furthermore those books have a finite time limit for use.
We never know, maybe they'll have an app for you...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You can easily remove the Digital Rights Management with a simple python script. The decrypted ePub can be imported into iBooks to be read on the iPad. Whether this is legal or not is unclear but if you delete your local copies when the loan expires I'd say you have nothing to worry about.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieClarken View Post
You can easily remove the Digital Rights Management with a simple python script. The decrypted ePub can be imported into iBooks to be read on the iPad. Whether this is legal or not is unclear but if you delete your local copies when the loan expires I'd say you have nothing to worry about.
As long as it's for personal use and you're not distributing them, how will anybody even know you're doing it?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
Fugubot
Connoisseur
Fugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watch

Device: Sony Reader
Another library option exists through netlibrary. It's accessed through your local library and delivers books as HTML pages. This works well for me on the iPad whereas it was a pain on a laptop. The text can be expanded to force the left navigation controls off the screen, allowing the text to fill the screen. A next button on the top of the page works to see the next page and safari maintains the zoom from the previous page. On wifi it approximates an ebook experience. Netlibrary has thousands of books including many computer topics including programming, Photoshop, networking, etc. If your local library offers it's services, try it and you may find it surprisingly useable. Los Angeles public library provides it. There's no drm because it's served as web pages.
Fugubot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 12:34 AM   #6
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
I am hoping they allow ebooks to be checked on on the Ipad. I can check out audio books now on my iphone, so I am anxiously awaiting the addition of the Ipad

Until then, I have my trusty prs-505.

So many options with all of these gadgets!!
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote