Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Thumbs up Pics from Kindle meetup in San Jose

A bunch of us from the Amazon forums had a meetup at the Starbuck's in Santanna Row in San Jose Saturday to compare Kindle screens and discuss contrast issues and so on.

All in all, we had 10 Kindles (and 1 OLPC). 7 Kindle 2s and 3 Kindle 1s.

All of the Kindle 2s looked pretty much the same at the same font size.

The Kindle 1s had noticeably darker text, but most of us were happy with our Kindle 2s. If you are used to the Kindle 1 and you read your books on the smallest font, then I can see how a Kindle 2 may not be acceptable to you.

2 of the Kindle 2s exhibited the "wash-out" bug when you turn pages in direct sunlight and will be replaced.

We had several people come up and ask us to show them the Kindle and they seemed very enthusiastic. Maybe made some sales!

John Serafin took some pictures of the Kindles for comparison:

http://home.comcast.net/~j.p.s5/kindles/img_1487.jpg http://home.comcast.net/~j.p.s5/kindles/img_1488.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~j.p.s5/kindles/img_1489.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~j.p.s5/kindles/img_1490.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~j.p.s5/kindles/img_1491.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~j.p.s5/kindles/img_1492.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~j.p.s5/kindles/img_1493.jpg
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
HaHa! Get a bunch of strangers from an online community together and only post pictures of their Kindles!!!! ROFL!

What's the thing in the green skin?
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
What's the thing in the green skin?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLPC_XO-1
Old 03-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #4
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
Great pics! Thanks!
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hey ! an OLPC ! i've never seen one of those. the comparison with the kindle makes me realise how small they are. how was it for reading ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Did any actual people go to this meet or were just the devices there?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur

The OLPC seemed fine for reading thought it's a bulky device to lug around just for that.

Sorry, nobody thought to take pictures of us... the point was to compare Kindle screens. 6 men, 2 women I think was our final count.

Last edited by sirbruce; 03-11-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
That's a lot of Kindles!
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:28 AM   #9
freecia
Enthusiast
freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle 3 3g+wifi, kindle 2, kindle 1
Is there a pic of the "wash out" bug? I saw the other post and my k2's done that once, but I believe it was indoors so am wondering if it is a similar issue. Turning it off or to a dark screensaver seemed to help. Haven't had enough sunlight recently to test this a lot.
freecia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:26 AM   #10
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Kindle Party!
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:30 AM   #11
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by freecia View Post
Is there a pic of the "wash out" bug? I saw the other post and my k2's done that once, but I believe it was indoors so am wondering if it is a similar issue. Turning it off or to a dark screensaver seemed to help. Haven't had enough sunlight recently to test this a lot.
Here's a side-by-side comparison of a Kindle with the problem and a Kindle without. Both were taken out into bright sunlight and "next page" pressed:

Once you take the Kindle out of the sun and hit next page again it seems to fix itself fine. Doesn't seem to damage the Kindle long-term. Some Kindles experience more "wash out" than others.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #12
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Wow, that's a great comparison, never realized that was even an issue.
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #13
Bookathon
Bookaholic
Bookathon doesn't litterBookathon doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1, 3, Ipad
I never heard of this washout bug before, but I do know text contrast is of low quality than K1, so you can not take it to the beach?. I have K1 and I take it to clearwater beach every other weekend. I'm glade I returned K2
Bookathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Wow, that is dramatic! Folks with that issue should definitely send their Kindles back for a replacement.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:56 PM   #15
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookathon View Post
I never heard of this washout bug before, but I do know text contrast is of low quality than K1, so you can not take it to the beach?. I have K1 and I take it to clearwater beach every other weekend. I'm glade I returned K2
Bookathon, the sunlight washout problem is only a bug with some K2 screens. Amazon eagerly replaces them for free. Proper K2s do not have the problem, and their contrast is just as good as K1 unless you read on font size 1 or 2.