Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: What type of book do you prefer?
An omnibus edition. 41 66.13%
Separate books. 13 20.97%
I don't care. 8 12.90%
I hate your stupid books and never read them. 0 0%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-13-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Omnibus editions or separate books for Reader content?

As some people may have noticed, I've created a fair few "omnibus" editions of various authors for the Sony Reader, in the "Book Uploads" forum section because personally I like to have all the books in a series in one handy volume, rather than having to remember which order I should read things in.

I was wondering, though, whether perhaps it's only me that likes this, and people might prefer a series to be uploaded as a set of single books.

Which do you prefer? All the books in a series as a single volume, or to have them as separate books?

Could you spare a moment and answer this poll to let me know? I'll abide, in the future, by whatever the majority decision is.

Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 03:02 PM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
If the Omnibus is a series & they are in correct order then it makes sense. However many publishers create an Omnibus of two or more old books by a famous author, apparently just to "suck us in" to think it is a new book. That type I do not like.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Either way is fine from my perspective -- the omnibus file is easier to manage, but the individual volumes take up less space if I don't want to load the whole thing.

BTW, I almost selected the fourth option just to be contrary.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 04:43 PM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Hmm... I'm thinking about creating some really cool feature for Feedbooks in the future: the ability to create lists, like on Amazon, but with another feature too, the ability to turn these lists into a single e-book file.

This way people could create omnibus, reading list etc... Or download a single book if they don't need an omnibus edition.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
... I almost selected the fourth option just to be contrary.
NatCh, you are always contrary, that's what we love about you.

If possible I would rather have the omnibus editions.

There are times; however, when the single volumes are the way to go. An example of this is the Arsene Luprin series where I have found less than one-half of the twenty volumes published by Maurice LeBlanc. Since I was missing so many volumes (as is Project Gutenberg) and I did not know the exact sequence of the books when I started, it made no sense to put them in a single volume.

Others, like the H. Rider Haggard Anthologies make perfect sense. Dickens would be far too large if packed into a single volume. We have to remember that some people are still downloading via modems and dial-up connections.

Omnibus editions like the Sherlock Holmes collection could be offered either in published sequence (I have one hardbound set that way) or in the order they are believed to have happened (I have another in that order.) When I did straight through reading in the latter I was sometimes bothered by the unevenness of the writing as Doyle's writing style evolved over the years and when they are put back-to-back it can be a bit jarring.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2007, 05:31 PM   #6
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I prefer single volumes, but with the title having a number in front so you can tell what the order is on the Reader.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:20 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
NatCh, you are always contrary, that's what we love about you.
One does try, RWood, one does try.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:24 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I love omnibus editions

But you've created a problem for me, Harry!! :

I have 217 listings on my Reader, but I now have no idea how many separate novels and short story collections are on this device!!!!

240? 256?

Yes, Harry - YOU ARE TO BLAME!!!!!!!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:40 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I am for An omnibus edition
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:59 AM   #10
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
What I would like, rather than an omnibus edition, for those times when I want to have a lot of books on the reader but not use a memory card, would be single books.

To solve the issue of the correct reading order, I suggest that when people create their lrf files to put the series number into the title.

So that books in a series be named for the series, as follows, for the Richard Hannay series by John Buchan:

Hannay 1 -- The Thirty Nine Steps
Hannay 2 -- Greenmantle
Hannay 3 -- Mr. Standfast
Hannay 4 -- Three Hostages
Hannay 5 -- Island of Sheep

That way they will list alphabetically right next to each other and it will be obvious what sequence to read them in.

For those who want to be able to find the correct sequence but also to look up the books by title, you could simply reverse the sequence in my proposed titles:

The Thirty Nine Steps -- Hannay 1

And then the titles could be searched, and if the books are listed by author the sequence could be learned easily.

But one thing that the omnibus editions don't allow for is the removing of books already read, thus wasting available storage space, so if there's an omnibus edition of 4 or 5 large books and you're reading the final book, you're still stuck carrying around the first 3 or 4 needlessly.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:03 AM   #11
pitolee
Connoisseur
pitolee began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
I also like omnibus editions... Find myself making quite a few trilogy books... I asked this before and got the answer that the number of pages (several thousand) in the reader didn't make much difference in page turning speed...
pitolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:22 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thank you very much everyone who's responded. A clear (5:1) majority in favour of omnibuses, so that's what I'll stick with for series!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:16 PM   #13
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
omnibus, fewer books to lose
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:53 PM   #14
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
I am currently reading your omnibus edition of Sherlock Holmes and I am enjoying it immensely.

It's my first read on the Reader, by the way.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:24 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The cons of an Omnibus is that it takes longer to prepare. So you have to wait longer for the books to be ready whereas if I do them separately, I can upload as they are ready. I would have to say though if they are not in order then no to an omnibus. Like say we have book 1,2,4,5 without 3, don't do it. It's ok though if we have 1,2,3,4 and not 5 since they are all in order.

The pros are all in one so you have it right there in one file.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote