Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Stupid newbie question: Send to Device

Although I've spent the last month painstakingly sorting my books and adding them to calibre, this is the first time I've ever tried to use it to send books to a device. I came home with a Sony 600 yesterday - and believe me, it was unexpected to me, too.
Anyway, my question is with the Send to Device dialogue. If a book is in two formats, one compatible with the Sony Reader (epub) and one not (lit), do I need to use "send specific format", or will calibre automatically not send unsupported formats? I notice when I open the "send specific format" dialogue, it only shows compatible formats for the Sony. I'm sending it to the 8 gig SD card (Storage Card B) as opposed to the device's main memory.

System is Windows 7 64 bit, if that makes any difference in this scenario.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
There will be a list of formats known to be supported by the device. The one highest up the list is sent.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, itimpi. Yes,I got that far. I *think* what I'm trying to ask, in my own fuzzy way, is if Calibre will send unsupported formats to the Reader at all, or is it smarter than I am? *grin*.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
mikij
Connoisseur
mikij doesn't littermikij doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
If a book is in two formats, one compatible with the Sony Reader (epub) and one not (lit), do I need to use "send specific format", or will calibre automatically not send unsupported formats? I notice when I open the "send specific format" dialogue, it only shows compatible formats for the Sony. I'm sending it to the 8 gig SD card (Storage Card B) as opposed to the device's main memory.

System is Windows 7 64 bit, if that makes any difference in this scenario.
The OS changes nothing.

I noticed that Calibre always sent a correct file format to my PRS-600. However, if you have an e-book in several compatible formats, your default format will be used (generally ePub, as set in Preferences...General...Preferred output format). If you want to send a compatible format other than default, e.g. Sony format, in that case select "specific format" and then LTR.

Hope it helps.
mikij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikij View Post
The OS changes nothing.

I noticed that Calibre always sent a correct file format to my PRS-600. However, if you have an e-book in several compatible formats, your default format will be used (generally ePub, as set in Preferences...General...Preferred output format). If you want to send a compatible format other than default, e.g. Sony format, in that case select "specific format" and then LTR.

Hope it helps.
Apparently yes, Calibre is smarter than I am *grin*. But you have the scenario backwards. What I am trying to ask (and evidently doing a pretty poor job of it), is if Calibre will send a format that is not supported to the Reader (ie: lit). In other words: If I have a book in two formats, epub and lit, and I hit "send to device", will Calibre ONLY send the epub, but NOT the lit file?
Old 09-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
In other words: If I have a book in two formats, epub and lit, and I hit "send to device", will Calibre ONLY send the epub, but NOT the lit file?
Calibre will send one format. That format is chosen by working down the list in device customization. So it might send .lrf or it might send .epub, but it won't send both for the same book. It will never send .lit, because that format isn't in the supported list
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Calibre will send one format. That format is chosen by working down the list in device customization.
This is one of the reasons I still use Save and not Send. I read on a device that supports multiple formats. I have multiple formats in my library from years of doing global conversions. I'm never sure what the best format is, so I send all formats, then choose the one I like best.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Calibre will send one format. That format is chosen by working down the list in device customization. So it might send .lrf or it might send .epub, but it won't send both for the same book. It will never send .lit, because that format isn't in the supported list
Thanks, chaley, yes, this is the answer I was seeking.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@chaley: Nice avatar, my cat approves
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #10
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@chaley: Nice avatar, my cat approves
Mine too, he got Karma for both the avatar and the answer from me .