Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
djk80
djk80 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thinking about returning Ipad for Kindle DX *Also return policy question

Hey Guys,

Purchased an Ipad and thinking about getting a Kindle DX does anyone who has both compare the two ???

The ipad is nice but I think a lot of the things on it are kind of more of a gimmick...I cant multi task in it and the PDF // viewing support is "OK" but It still feels like im staring at a computer screen....

Im trying to read textbooks and I think the kindle DX might be better for my needs.......I have a kindle 3 coming but for textbooks can you guys also recommend the DX ????

**Also does anyone know the Kindles Return Policy ?? I heard it was 30 days has anyone returned the Kindle before ?? Do you have to pay for shipping back for them or any other fees?
djk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
daroga
Enthusiast
daroga began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
30 days. I think you have to pay to get it back to Amazon. I did for a camera I returned to them anyway.

Best of luck on your device hunt!
daroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
djk80

Ah ok I just did some research and it seems you get a full refund on a Kindle as well not an 85% back. Which is good makes me feel not as bad for buying one
Old 09-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
When Apple announced the iPhone 4 with the iOS 4, they said the iOS would be available for the iPad in the fall. When in the fall - I have no idea. Maybe it was in the announcement yesterday? But that would allow multitasking.

I love both my Kindle and my iPad, would not want to pick one over the other. I have no experience with the DX though.

Last edited by kathyfitz; 09-02-2010 at 01:04 PM.
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Personally I think that the iPad is superb - there's absolutely no way I'd swap mine for a Kindle DX. What app are you using to view PDFs with?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "you can't multitask". What is it you'd like to do that you're unable to?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The DX is a great ereader but that is it. If you don't think that you need the finctionality that comes with an IPad and you want a larger e-reader, the DXG is a great way to go.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
djk80

Multitask as in say I am in one application like google chat......I cant be surfing the web at the same time or going and checking my email. As soon as you hit that home button it goes back to the main screen.

I have Iannotation and goodreader .....I suppose I could wait till Ios4

But does anyone have both an Ipad and a Kindle DX ??? For Textbooks I have a feeling the DX would still display it way better....I need a comparison
Old 09-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
djk80

Its also not that the ipad cant do a lot more but....some of the apps on the ipad are redundant .....Like I can check my email, news....surf the web, view videos.....I can do all of this from a laptop at my desk....

The pdf viewers are alright on the ipad but the features are kind of lacking as well the navigation between pages is brutal.....I find myself accidentally moving something on the touchscreen or turning to the next page....

Using your fingers to zoom etc is alright but on some of my bigger PDFS the load time is just super long........I duno I'll have to compare with a DX myself I guess
Old 09-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyfitz View Post
When Apple announced the iPhone 4 with the iOS 4, they said the iOS would be available for the iPad in the fall. When in the fall - I have no idea. Maybe it was in the announcement yesterday? But that would allow multitasking.

I love both my Kindle and my iPad, would not want to pick one over the other. I have no experience with the DX though.
November, apparently...can't come soon enough!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #10
djk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
November, apparently...can't come soon enough!
Yah im debating weather to wait for the new OS to come or not.... hm
Old 09-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by djk80 View Post
Multitask as in say I am in one application like google chat......I cant be surfing the web at the same time or going and checking my email. As soon as you hit that home button it goes back to the main screen.
I'm afraid I'm still a little confused. Certainly you can check your e-mail while you're browing; Safari will carry on running while you switch to the mail program and then back again. The fact that you can't see both apps at the same time doesn't mean that you can't multitask.

Quote:
But does anyone have both an Ipad and a Kindle DX ??? For Textbooks I have a feeling the DX would still display it way better....I need a comparison
I think you'd be disappointed; the iPad displays PDFs significantly better, in my experience. Bear in mind that on the DX you have no annotation, no hyperlinks, no table of contents - no anything really, other than basic page display.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
ylsul
Connoisseur
ylsul is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I have both a K3 and and iPad. I don't find the devices to be mutually exclusive. The iPad is great for media, and has a decent web browser. It does a much better job with pdfs -- although you are reading from a computer screen.

The kindle, imho, does one thing really well: it lets you read texts for a long time without eyestrain. The kindle's browser is functional, but slow. It is good when you need to access the Internet in a pinch, but I couldn't see myself using it regularly.

I'm not sure I'd want iPad-like features in the kindle. I want to be able to focus on one thing -- reading -- and nothing else.

Of course, ymmv, and this is very imho

-y
ylsul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #13
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
I also have both, and I agree 100% with ylsul.

Oh, and you can task/context switch on an iPad, but you can't multitask. If you have some complex calculation or screen rendering or some such going on and you switch away, it stops processing. When you come back, it's where it was when you left.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote