Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
rcrh
Enthusiast
rcrh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
borders desktop app - where are the epubs

Not really a KOBO question, but kinda related. I've downloaded the borders desktop software and purchased a couple of books. But I want to use Calibre to manager my library. The trouble is I can't find the epub files I just download.

Does anyone know where Borders saves its files under windows Vista?

thanks in advance.
rcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Kobo (and Borders) use a proprietary format that stores the books in a sqlite database. You need to go back to your Borders eBook library and see if there's an EPUB version of your book to download.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
KjellM
Connoisseur
KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Glo HD, Aura ONE
For Kobo books you can go to their website and sign in (same username & password as the desktop application) and you can find and download the ePub there. I assume Borders is the same.
KjellM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by KjellM View Post
For Kobo books you can go to their website and sign in (same username & password as the desktop application) and you can find and download the ePub there. I assume Borders is the same.
Yes, it is. Go to 'Your Account' and then click on 'My eBook Library'. You'll have options to 'Open eBook' which uses the Borders software or 'Download ePub' which lets you download to ADE just like other sites
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
rcrh
Enthusiast
rcrh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
First, thanks for the replies. When I go to the borders website there's a link for "my library" and there is an option to download the epubs.

Second, WOW! Do we really need ANOTHER PROPRIETARY FORMAT??? COMMON ALREADY!

feh.
rcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 02:29 AM   #6
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
OK so I am using the Borders Australia software (not very often because it's a bit ordinary) and I can't see an option to download the epub.
I have signed in to the desktop application and looked in my library there and also gone to the Borders store, signed in and clicked on the books that I have already bought and there's nothing there either.
When I checked on kobobooks.com I get the option to download the epub which is how I downloaded the books I have bought from there.
I would really like to get the books I have purchased from Borders Australia into ADE or Calibre but it seems that they are on my Kobo and want to stay there.
Any suggestions? I must be doing something wrong somewhere?
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:57 AM   #7
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
HarleyB, there is no option in the Borders software to download an epub, but if you look for it on the borders.com.au site, you might be able to find the option to download the epub there. Might also be worth logging into the borders website first and then checking your "elibrary" (link will appear at the top of the page when you are logged in), to see whether any of the books you have brought have the option of an epub download.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:23 AM   #8
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Thankyou that worked perfectly!
I really thought I was on the borders.com.au site but I was still in the desktop application. Having a bit of a blonde moment perhaps? Can anyone tell I'm a newbie?
Anyway it was totally obvious once I logged into the correct place. Now I have them in ADE and I am happy.

HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote