Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-31-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
Latitude
Latitude began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Transfer Limits?

New to Calibre and trying to transfer to a PRS505.

Is there a limit to how much can be transferred during a session? Trying to transfer about 200mb/130 books to an SD card and it takes forever and usually comes up with a "Calibre has to shut down" message.

Also, metadata fields are sometimes not updating or corrupt? eg get a date in the author field and see ad hoc "square-like symbols" in title/author fields. Dat looks fine in Calibre but is corrupt on the reader.

Using 6.31

Thanks
Latitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Squares in the title or author indicate a character that is not present in the font being used to display the text. It's best to stick to simple ASCII for metadata.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
Latitude
Latitude began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Squares in the title or author indicate a character that is not present in the font being used to display the text. It's best to stick to simple ASCII for metadata.
Thanks for the prompt reply Harry. Kind of you to take the time but I'm afraid I don't understand.

There doesn't seem to be anywhere where you set the font and it's not a a particularly strange character that's corrupted - 's' and 'n'. Sometimes they appear and sometimes they don't. The GUI shows one thing yet it's different in many areas on the reader.

This is really frustrating as everything seems to be all over the place and I think I'm only trying to do the absolute basic on Calibre.
Latitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I have had the strange characters too...the titles/author names were typed in using regular letters, and were fine in the "Library" but showed up after the transfer to the reader.
As for the metadata, I have found that if I uploaded a txt file, for example, and changed the metadata in the library, converted to epub and then transferred, it would transfer the txt file with the original metadata to the reader. I've had to "send specific format" or delete the txt file from the library.

As far as limits, I've been pretty lucky with transferring 20 or so at a time. However, last night I put about 100 on my SD card and this morning they aren't showing up. So, I'm not sure about the limits. Maybe someone else has more data.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I checked my sd card in my husband's computer (has a slot to read them) and all the books I transferred last night are on the card. Now to get Calibre and the reader to recognize them.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude View Post
Is there a limit to how much can be transferred during a session? Trying to transfer about 200mb/130 books to an SD card and it takes forever and usually comes up with a "Calibre has to shut down" message.
I've transferred 800+ at one time using Calibre without error. The last time I did this was about the middle of the November.

Sorry I can't offer you any help. Although starting out with a clean SD card would be my preference.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnoto View Post
converted to epub and then transferred, it would transfer the txt file with the original metadata to the reader. I've had to "send specific format" or delete the txt file from the library.
This is standard operating procedure. Unless told otherwise I believe all compatible formats are sent to the device.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote