Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Which version of the firmware are you using?
2.6.1 (b or no b) 71 74.74%
2.5.2 5 5.26%
2.5.1 11 11.58%
2.5.0 1 1.05%
2.4.0 (a or b) 0 0%
2.3.2 0 0%
2.3.1 1 1.05%
Earlier version 6 6.32%
Custom version 2 2.11%
Other 2 2.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Which version of the firmware are you using?

Which version of the firmware are you using? Multiple-choice for those with multiple devices.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
To b or not to b - that is the question!

I synched my Glo last week and it didn't download the b . . so I still don't have the sync tile . . not complaining, just an observation!
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
I was on 2.6.1b, but then had to do a factory reset which took me back to 2.5.1, and taking together the disruption before the factory reset and the reloading, sideloading, etc, it took so long that frankly I cannot be bothered to update again, I'd love to just read :-)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I use 2.5.1. as this is de last firmware that has no top header when reading regular, non-kepub epubs. Kobo tried to undo this with later firmware releases but failed totally for the old Touch versions. The top header is now blank showing no information but the top margin is as wide as 2.5.2.
Kobo should adjust the text position and surrounding margins of both header (booktitle info) and footer (pageometer) in reading mode to make them smaller. The size of the header and footer in menu mode can stay unaltered.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Modified version of 2.1.4 here.

... always going back to this after trying out new firmware versions with their new and/or old bugs and, more often than not, changes in the GUI design that I for one just don't happen to like.

This old version - with some modifications (mainly in dictionaries, fonts, a few data base tweaks here and there) - seems to offer the 'bug set' and general design that fits my requirements best. Note that I more or less resigned some time ago to just using the most basic functions of the device. I.e. just opening books and reading them.

Shame on you KOBO that one has to decide based on bugs instead of features!
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
2.6.1b, sideloaded (never sync my reader).
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa View Post
To b or not to b - that is the question!

I synched my Glo last week and it didn't download the b . . so I still don't have the sync tile . . not complaining, just an observation!
2.6.1 should have the sync tile. It should show up after you sync. Getting rid of it then is the pain since it does not have the dismiss option though DavidFor's utility will get rid of it for you.

As for current version here, Aura is on 2.6.1b after last factory reset.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 07-02-2013 at 11:59 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
rayhigh
Zealot
rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (wife)
2.61b on both devices.
rayhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
2.6.1 should have the sync tile. It should show up after you sync. Getting rid of it then is the pain since it does not have the dismiss option though DavidFor's utility will get rid of it for you.

As for current version here, Aura is on 2.6.1b after last factory reset.

Regards,
David
Nope - no sync tile I even checked Peter's piccies he posted of the 2.6.1 update to be sure what I was looking for - and I haven't got it!

Last edited by Willa; 07-02-2013 at 02:02 PM. Reason: brain confusion!
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
ShimSham
Enthusiast
ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShimSham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Touch, Nook HD/HD+ and Hudl2
Kobo Aura HD - 2.5.1
Kobo Touch - 2.1.5
ShimSham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
2.6.1 on my mini.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
The 2.6.1 on both devices, but not the b since they updated before its release.
So far, I have always used the latest firmware without trouble and each time I waited for it to be available for my area/device.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #13
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Well my mini just froze when I turned the wifi on and tried to do a sync. I guess it will be staying on 2.6.1
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #14
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
2.6.1b for me on my Glo. I'm not sure I like the tile home screen, still getting used to it.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #15
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I'm actually surprised by the results. About 1/2 of the MR Kobo Crowd gave version 2.6.1 a rating from 0 to 6 in the pass/fail thread, but about 3/4 of us are using it. I understand the sample of voters may be different, but I expected fewer to be up-to-date.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote