Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
Mamaijee
Connoisseur
Mamaijee doesn't litterMamaijee doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Help needed with template language

Pls could someone help with template language.

I would like to change the the default template used for saving books to my Kindle Paperwhite.

Currently when I convert a book to mobi to send on to my Kindle, it comes up with title of the book first and then the author.
eg Southern Cooking - Paula Deen

I would just like it be authors name first (with the first name followed by last name) and followed by title of book.
eg Paula Deen - Southern Cooking

Can this be done?

Many thanks
Mamaijee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
{authors} - {title}

Now that was not difficult
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2013, 01:12 AM   #3
Mamaijee
Connoisseur

I tried it but does not work. Maybe I am putting it in the wrong place. I went to Preferences / Sending books to devices / and under save template I typed in your suggestion {authors} - {title} but it did not work. Is that the correct place to put it?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaijee View Post
I tried it but does not work. Maybe I am putting it in the wrong place. I went to Preferences / Sending books to devices / and under save template I typed in your suggestion {authors} - {title} but it did not work. Is that the correct place to put it?
No and Yes (not you fault for the confusion. Calibre supports users with multiple devices..)

Once a device was connected, it seems calibre will store the setting in effect at that time for future use with that device.

With the device connected and the Job wheel stopped:
Click the Arrow next to the device (location you are using): Configure Device:

Does this still show the Old template? This will be where you need to fix it.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
Mamaijee
Connoisseur

Thank you.
I followed your instructions but it did not quite work out. Maybe I am going about this the wrong way. When I upload the book on to the device and click on device the columns are in right order ie author first and tile second. But if I access the Calibre library on my computer the mobi filename still shows the title first followed by the author and that is what I want to change.
Advert
Old 02-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Thank you.
I followed your instructions but it did not quite work out. Maybe I am going about this the wrong way. When I upload the book on to the device and click on device the columns are in right order ie author first and tile second. But if I access the Calibre library on my computer the mobi filename still shows the title first followed by the author and that is what I want to change.
You can have columns show in any order. Just drag them into the order (or not show) you want (you can also use the arrows, on Add your own columns form).
This has nothing to do with the Template (which names DEVICE files as you may have discovered)
Old 02-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
Mamaijee
Connoisseur

Thank you.

Yes I am aware that columns can be shifted around and/or added. But even after changing the template as u suggested to {authors} - {title} and that even after connecting the device, the filename still does not come up in that order. My apologies for continuing this thread, but I have a lot of books to convert in bulk to mobi for the kindle, and to go back and change every filename is going to be time consuming. If you can pls advise what I am doing wrong or what I can change I would really appreciate it.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Since we mostly do it Right, it is hard to guess what you are doing Wrong

My last Guess: You have a setting in the Plugboard that overrides the device template
Old 02-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Quote:
But if I access the Calibre library on my computer the mobi filename still shows the title first followed by the author and that is what I want to change.
Templates used for filenames only work with Save to Disk and Send to Device. They don't change how Calibre stores books in the library on disk. Is that what you're trying to do?

See This:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119175

When you use "Send to Device" or "Save to Disk", the files will be named using the respective templates.

Question: Are you trying to change the actual filenames or how the titles are displayed on your Kindle? If the latter, you'll need to use the metadata plugboards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks
My last Guess: You have a setting in the Plugboard that overrides the device template
Metadata plugboards don't affect filenames, do they?

Last edited by JimmyR; 02-18-2013 at 02:23 PM.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
Mamaijee
Connoisseur

Thank you
Old 02-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, what did you do exactly to solve your problem?
Old 02-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #12
Mamaijee
Connoisseur

I realised I was confusing info - I realised that after converting the book I should "save to disk" and there it was in the correct title order I wanted. I was converting and then going to the library - duh!!! u can tell I am a newbie - but slowly I am getting there this is an amazing program with so many capabilities that it is mind boggling.

Thanks everyone for your help

Old 02-19-2013, 01:52 AM   #13
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

There is a lot to learn and we were all newbies once.

Thanks for the feedback.