Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #31
Rick1971
cool a zombie!
Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Lenovo a2107a-f, Le PanII, Motorola Xoom FE
I wish I could use this with my Cruz reader, I have it rooted ans it had the Android Market, but the reader is 2.0 O/S
Rick1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #32
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
Says 'this book is protected with DRM" and cannot be opened
Found this on XDA:

Quote:
In order to open BN docs,

-Download a book.
-open aldiko.
-go to the home button top left on the screen.
-click on sdcard and navigate to the book.
-open the book.
-it will ask for login and password.
-your login is the name on the card.
-your password is the full credit card # on your account.

Click go or whatever (I forgot the button), and the book will open. You should only have to do this once.

Have fun.

~Leko
Wish I could try it.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #33
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Another thing I noticed with the library book is that if you check it out on your phone and computer, you can return it on the computer and still have it accessible on your phone. Thought that was interesting.

Also I am sure it will go away after the two week period.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #34
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Another thing I noticed with the library book is that if you check it out on your phone and computer, you can return it on the computer and still have it accessible on your phone. Thought that was interesting.

Also I am sure it will go away after the two week period.
Ahhhh....I think I got it.........Unfortunately I'm still at work and I don't have my NC......
But I just checked from my work computer.....I'll need to go back to my library account and click download again, a pop up comes up asking me what to do with the .acsm file.....My default setting is "Open with ADE" (never actaully paid attention to the pop up) I need to save the .ascm file directly to my computer (and/or maybe the NC directly) to make it work with Aldiko.....
The reason it hasn't been working before, is that I've never saved the .ascm file, just opened the file directly to ADE, which converts the ascm to epub.

Thanks.....I'm sure this was it.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #35
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Found this on XDA: [instructions for authenticating BN DRM books]
Wish I could try it.
I did try it. It works.

See, Barnes and Noble bought ereader.com (was Palm Press, which was Peanut Press -- from whom I bought my very first ebooks). Peanut Press set up a very good DRM -- in that they are encoded with your name and credit card number you use to buy them with (and you can later update that CC info and redownload them encrypted anew). So you can share them with anyone you are comfortable giving that info to, or with someone whom you can be there in person to authenticate it for the first time. Info is not retrievable from the encrypted book itself. Very good if you ask me and one of the best DRM schemes out there. I still have access to my Peanut Press books to this day.

But what is a bummer is that all those old Peanut Press books are accessible on the Nook Classic, or were when I first tried (they are pdb files, not the newer epub), but not on the Nook Color via the BN app or via Aldiko (even though the DRM method is the same). There is an android ereader.com app that will open them. But it would be way cool to have it all integrated in Aldiko.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #36
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Ahhhh....I think I got it.........Unfortunately I'm still at work and I don't have my NC......
But I just checked from my work computer.....I'll need to go back to my library account and click download again, a pop up comes up asking me what to do with the .acsm file.....My default setting is "Open with ADE" (never actaully paid attention to the pop up) I need to save the .ascm file directly to my computer (and/or maybe the NC directly) to make it work with Aldiko.....
The reason it hasn't been working before, is that I've never saved the .ascm file, just opened the file directly to ADE, which converts the ascm to epub.

Thanks.....I'm sure this was it.
Yep, that was it. Its still a little messy, but definitely doable
Old 01-20-2011, 11:50 PM   #37
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Yep, that was it. Its still a little messy, but definitely doable

That was it......

Now.....will I like Aldiko better than the stock reader.....I do love the completely black night view screen......

Although....I think I might have an issue with too many library ebooks.....another one that I had on order just became available (and another one is coming up in the queue soon)....... 1 thing I liked about hardcopy library books.....I could renew 3 times, if I had too many available at 1 time.....

Gotta get busy.......
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #38
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anyone know if fonts can be imported?
Old 01-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #39
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
I don't know about importing your own fonts, but you can download some other fonts from settings. Cantarell, Crimson Text, DroidSans, DroidSerif, Inconsolata, JosefinSansStd, Molengo, Neuton, Nobile, OldStandard, ReenieBeenie, Vollkorn.

Given the choices, I've just left it at default.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #40
volwrath
Guru

Quote:
Anyone know if fonts can be imported?
By imported, do you mean embedded in the epub? I have no idea but if someone sends me an epub with embeed fonts I will try it
Old 01-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #41
SCION
Séduisant

I was looking for something similar to what Moon+ Reader does. If you put fonts in /sdcard/fonts it makes use of them. When you go to select fonts, your fonts will be included in the choices. I took some serif and sans serif true type fonts from my computer and put them in that folder. The Aldiko default font isnt dark enough for me and they don't have a setting to make the text bold/darker as Moon+ does. I could import some bold fonts (Georgia Bold as an example). I'll also add that I don't care for the non-default fonts. One of the fonts is dark, but I don't like it. I think it's the Vollkorn one.

Last edited by SCION; 01-21-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #42
volwrath
Guru

Quote:
I was looking for something similar to what Moon+ Reader does. If you put fonts in /sdcard/fonts it makes use of them. When you go to select fonts, your fonts will be included in the choices. I took some serif and sans serif true type fonts from my computer and put them in that folder. The Aldiko default font isnt dark enough for me and they don't have a setting to make the text bold/darker as Moon+ does. I could import some bold fonts (Georgia Bold as an example). I'll also add that I don't care for the non-default fonts. One of the fonts is dark, but I don't like it. I think it's the Vollkorn one.
Ahh I see. Thanks for the clarification. I may have to go on a search for the perfect font Neuton seems darker but I dont like it as much as default.

Last edited by volwrath; 01-21-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #43
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Just tried this software today on my Galaxy Tab and it's awesome!

I imported a PDF from the micro SD into the software itself. I was able to use TOC and several other options that my Kindle DX does not have. It was a bit difficult to enlarge pages and re-flow tough.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #44
hama
hama began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Hi
I have the galaxy Tab, and have a pretty big problem,in Aldiko 2,0 Free the writing on the pages is much too small, I'm missing some settings in the menu, "daylight" and "Text" so I have no ability to change font size.

The file format Pdf

Hope someone can help me.
hama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #45
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hama View Post
Hi
I have the galaxy Tab, and have a pretty big problem,in Aldiko 2,0 Free the writing on the pages is much too small, I'm missing some settings in the menu, "daylight" and "Text" so I have no ability to change font size.

The file format Pdf

Hope someone can help me.
Some have said it's not great for viewing PDFs. Have you tried using a general PDF viewer instead of an ebook reader app?