Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
sjkevin
Connoisseur
sjkevin is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
Touchscreen right side sensitivity problem

I've noticed when playing the B&N crossword app that selecting squares on the right-hand side of the screen is sometimes difficult. Then, after rooting the device, I also noticed this problem when playing a minesweeper game.

I'm wondering if this is a touchscreen calibration problem, or maybe my nook color is defective.

I'm curious, is anybody else seeing this problem? And is anybody else not seeing it?
sjkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I noticed this prior to rooting. It's most prominent with crosswords. I haven't performed calibration.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Same problem here, I've only noticed it with the crossword puzzle.....Not sure if it was like that pre-root....hadn't gone there until after....
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Me as well. It seems to be a common complaint. I saw the issue posted on another forum too.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
roger_15
Enthusiast
roger_15 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 3G/NookColor
Add one more to the group.

I noticed this on the crossword and the p on the keyboard. But I checked around
and found no problems anywhere else. Must be the app.

Edit: My NC is not rooted.
roger_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
I did try the calibration and it didn't help (the first time I got an error, but I don't think it was related to running the calibration). I tried the various methods of finger-on-screen, plastic wrap, upside down calibration. No noticeable difference.

I also have a capacitive stylus. I found that it could easily trace a line on my EVO, but it did not work well at all on the Nook.

Also, when the EVO 4G phone came out, it had touch sensitivity issues (especially along the top) and they were able to fix it with a future update (surprisingly). So maybe there is hope if BN gets enough complaints. There really is something not quite right about the Nook touch sensitivity if I can't get a capacitive stylus to work on it consistently (in a drawing program where you can see the whole path you trace).
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
I haven't tried crossword so can't say about that. My biggest problem is the search button for Market at the top right corner. Have to make multiple attempts before it opens.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
I did try the calibration and it didn't help (the first time I got an error, but I don't think it was related to running the calibration). I tried the various methods of finger-on-screen, plastic wrap, upside down calibration. No noticeable difference.

I also have a capacitive stylus. I found that it could easily trace a line on my EVO, but it did not work well at all on the Nook.

Also, when the EVO 4G phone came out, it had touch sensitivity issues (especially along the top) and they were able to fix it with a future update (surprisingly). So maybe there is hope if BN gets enough complaints. There really is something not quite right about the Nook touch sensitivity if I can't get a capacitive stylus to work on it consistently (in a drawing program where you can see the whole path you trace).
Thanks for the post! I was wondering how well a capacitive stylus worked with the NC and if calibration on a rooted NC would make a difference.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
SammyWI
SammyWI has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2, NookColor (rooted)
I've noticed this myself, especially the search button in the market. But I do wonder if it's just an issue around screen sides in general. How many apps have a button close to the left side to even be a problem? What I have found to work on the right side buttons is to kind of roll my finger down from the plastic frame onto the right edge of the screen.

I didn't even know there was a calibration - I may try it. I just got a stylus today to try out. It's the Targus one that seems well reviewed by Ipad owners. It works pretty well for tapping. It's terrible for swiping / dragging. Oh well, I'll just keep cleaning the greasy fingerprints.
SammyWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
swallman
Enthusiast
swallman began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
The best fix I've found for this is to change the "LCD Density". It makes all of the buttons, etc. larger and easier to use. You do lose the ability to have as many icons on the screen, but it has really made it a lot easier to hit some of the icons, buttons, etc.

Note that you can only do this on a rooted NC.
swallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:31 AM   #11
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
I've noticed this as well.....I usually end up clicking on the app tab first, then search.....

Probably similar issue the search button in the market is close to the right edge?????
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #12
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
For anyone who wants to try a capacitive stylus without it costing too much, you might try these at $3.99 (including shipping) for three. Like it was stated above, they don't swipe very well due to the 'stickiness' of the stylus. But for just touching, sometimes they are better than my finger (especially when it cool & dry).

Last edited by slayda; 01-05-2011 at 10:41 AM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #13
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I've noticed the lower sensitivity on the right side of the touch screen both in the crossword puzzle and flipping pages while reading (to the point where I swipe across the screen instead of tapping the edge). I've also noticed it to a lesser degree on the left side. Neither is serious enough that I consider it a problem for me (I'm pretty fumble fingered anyway, so I'm quite used to having to try more than once to get the right spot on the crosswords).

My NC is not rooted.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #14
SammyWI
SammyWI has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2, NookColor (rooted)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
For anyone who wants to try a capacitive stylus without it costing too much, you might try these at $3.99 (including shipping) for three. Like it was stated above, they don't swipe very well due to the 'stickiness' of the stylus. But for just touching, sometimes they are better than my finger (especially when it cool & dry).
The Targus stylus I have isn't sticky and physically it swipes just fine. It's just that the touchscreen doesn't pick up the swipe well. It's very inconsistent.
SammyWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #15
TaurusWriter
TaurusWriter began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
mine has the same issue with the P in the crossword puzzle.
TaurusWriter is offline   Reply With Quote