Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-13-2016, 09:01 AM   #1
longgonelost
longgonelost began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Kindle PW3 Diagnostic Mode Error

Hi,

I recently bought Kindle PW3 and I jailbreaked it using these instructions: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=270651
Everything went smoothly. Afterwards I installed KUAL, Helper +, KoReader, Python and Librariansync. I was transferring books from Calibre to the Kindle, when I forgot that restarting it while connected to the usb cable would start the Diagnostic Mode.

My problem at the moment is, that I can't exit it. I tried disabling diagnostics, which just shows: Elmo firmware is not matched Need to update firmware
I also tried making DISABLE_DIAGS file in the root directory, even doing factory restore with DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file, but nothing worked.
Here is a screenshot what I can see on the kindle when it's connected to the pc: https://i.gyazo.com/a0fbe75b9ea13351...5b2c804e83.png

I don't have USB networking installed so when I try to enable this, it doesn't work.

Any help would be really appreciated!

P.S. After some time leaving the kindle alone, and doing all the tests in the diagnostic mode, it actually rebooted to the original mode.

Last edited by longgonelost; 04-13-2016 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Solved
longgonelost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:17 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by longgonelost View Post
- - - -
P.S. After some time leaving the kindle alone, and doing all the tests in the diagnostic mode, it actually rebooted to the original mode.
It 'self-rescued'
You are very lucky, some K3 firmwares can only be exited via the serial port connection - the menu 'exit' function is broken.

I know - I have one.
Luckily the serial port connection is easy to get to on a K3 -
it is well documented in our wiki (see the master index sticky).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:27 AM   #3
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It 'self-rescued'
You are very lucky, some K3 firmwares can only be exited via the serial port connection - the menu 'exit' function is broken.

I know - I have one.
I thought the Kindle you're having problems with is a K2, not a K3?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:12 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I thought the Kindle you're having problems with is a K2, not a K3?

Shari
It is now - three years ago it was a K3
Old 04-13-2016, 03:12 PM   #5
longgonelost

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It 'self-rescued'

I know - I have one.
Yeah I was having a mini-panic attack when it happened. I wasn't really keen on the idea of opening it up, since I literally just received it yesterday and I don't have any proper tools to do it.

Immediately after the issue resolved itself I installed USB Networking, so I hope it doesn't happen again.

Anyway, thanks a lot guys
Old 04-13-2016, 03:20 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgonelost View Post
Yeah I was having a mini-panic attack when it happened. I wasn't really keen on the idea of opening it up, since I literally just received it yesterday and I don't have any proper tools to do it.

Immediately after the issue resolved itself I installed USB Networking, so I hope it doesn't happen again.

Anyway, thanks a lot guys
It is good that you got it all sorted out because I mis-read your post.
You have a new PW-3 not an ancient K3 .

It must be because my 'post age' is getting close to 10,000.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:42 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Note that USBNetwork in itself won't help you if the main system is screwed.

The Rescue Pack (and its buddy, the Coward's Rescue Pack), on the other hand, will . Because, in your scenario, you'd only have had to ask the diags system to start USBNetwork, and you'd have a had shiny SSH access in diags . (USBNetwork, on the other hand, provides SSH access to the main system, the one that gets routinely screwed over^W^Wimproved by Amazon updates .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:03 AM   #8
longgonelost

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Note that USBNetwork in itself won't help you if the main system is screwed.

The Rescue Pack (and its buddy, the Coward's Rescue Pack), on the other hand, will . Because, in your scenario, you'd only have had to ask the diags system to start USBNetwork, and you'd have a had shiny SSH access in diags . (USBNetwork, on the other hand, provides SSH access to the main system, the one that gets routinely screwed over^W^Wimproved by Amazon updates .
I supposedly had them installed but I guess I messed something up when I was doing it. Anyway I reinstalled both immediately after the kindle went in the normal mode + usb networking.

Now I am just curious about the message that came up when I tried to disable diagnostics: "Elmo firmware is not matched. Need to update firmware." I tried googling it but on first glance I can't find anything relevant.