View Poll Results: The New Kindles -- Like'em or Hate'em
Like'em 141 66.82%
Hate'em 13 6.16%
Still deciding 57 27.01%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #46
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
There have times were I wish the kindle handled epub. I know its probably never going to happen. I shouldn't have to worry about files formates with books. It doesn't matter where I buy my movies or music, itunes plays them all.

At least Amazon, like Apple, tell you a launch date and price at the big party. There are some other companies that could learn from this.

I have been thinking about and looking at the Nook lately, so I am interested in Paperwhite. I'll be waiting for reviews and some hands on time before I buy.

I don't like the "reading time" either. I could do without social media tracking.

I will be interested in watching the Fire HD. Could it be as productive on it as the ipad? Not this year, but in another year. Amazon is pushing hard so its possible. They also seem to have a plan and focus other companies lack.

I will be checking out the parental controls. Parental controls never seem to do what I want them too. They are either to restrictive or not restrictive enough. There is no balance. Tablets really need separate user accounts for this to work right.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #47
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdolphins View Post
It doesn't matter where I buy my movies or music, itunes plays them all.
There are formats out there iTunes doesn't play. WMA, WMV, etc. AFAIK only movies you buy from iTunes can be played. Movies from Vudu, Amazon, etc. are a no go.

I mean I do agree that one solidified format would be nice, but you don't even get that from ePub right now really thanks to DRM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #48
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
There are formats out there iTunes doesn't play. WMA, WMV, etc. AFAIK only movies you buy from iTunes can be played. Movies from Vudu, Amazon, etc. are a no go.
Yeah, that statement was just a little over generalized. More true for music than movies.

Amazon video does work with itunes though. You can see their instant video is compatible with macs here. Its been awhile since I bought anything from there. There selection and prices were not very good till recently.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #49
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdolphins View Post
Amazon video does work with itunes though. You can see their instant video is compatible with macs here. Its been awhile since I bought anything from there. There selection and prices were not very good till recently.
Cool, I did not know that. Back when I looked into the downloadable portion of their video (which was a long time ago) it was all WMV Windows only stuff. I wonder if the .mp4 H.264 files can be transferred to an iThing.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #50
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Cool, I did not know that. Back when I looked into the downloadable portion of their video (which was a long time ago) it was all WMV Windows only stuff. I wonder if the .mp4 H.264 files can be transferred to an iThing.
Are you asking about if Amazon-bought music files can be played on an iPod? If so, then I can tell you that yes, they definitely can, because I usually buy my music through Amazon because it's DRM free. I'm not even sure if iTunes music is DRMed any more or not, but I'm used to buying from Amazon now so they keep my business.

It's funny in a way how obvious it is; you can really see how just trying to beat the other company factors into these business decisions much more than over any sense of ethics over DRM. For instance, with Amazon, their books are not only DRMed but with a completely separate format from the rest of the ebook world to lock in readers, yet their music was marketed as "DRM-free" unlike the "bad guys" who try to lock you in over at Apple. Anyone sense the irony there, lol?
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #51
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Completely underwhelming. I'm in the "give me physical page turn buttons" camp. I'm OK having a touch screen, but for page turning, I want buttons. I'll be using my K3 until it dies and then ... the way it is going ... it won't be a Kindle that I'll buy.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #52
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Are you asking about if Amazon-bought music files can be played on an iPod?
No, we were talking about the .mp4 H.264 video downloads.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #53
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I voted "like 'em," but I probably won't be buying one of the new Amazon devices any time soon. I have two tablets and a Kindle Keyboard that meet my needs.

I like most features of the Kindle Paperwhite, but I do prefer physical page-turn buttons, so that's a minus. Also, I use text-to-speech on my Kindle Keyboard occasionally (mainly for proofreading); the Paperwhite doesn't have audio.

The Kindle Fire models have nice specs, and the prices seem reasonable. If I were in the market to buy, I'd have to compare them with other Android tablets before choosing. I don't think I'd want a tablet without an SD card, but price could factor into the decision.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:10 AM   #54
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Oooh! The paperwhite has a capacitive screen(?)! Ok, now I'm starting to get interested. My biggest complaint about Touch Screen ereaders is that they tend to be a bit fiddly with the infrared interface. I'm really looking forward to seeing one in person now.

BTW, does anyone else hate the name, Paperwhite? Blech.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:19 AM   #55
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
The "reading time" thing is nifty but I hope it can be turned off. It would only stress me out and make me want to read faster, to "beat" it. When the GPS tells me how long it's going to take to get to my destination, it makes me speed up and try to get there faster. I don't need to feel competitive when I'm reading.

eP
Exact same thought ocurred to me . No news yet if the Paperwhite will be available in the UK though. It would tempt me to upgrade from my K3.

I'm tempted by the Kindle Fire HD (can't preorder the 8.9 inch version in the UK yet - don't know if we will be getting it at all - so I would have to go for the 7 inch if I do buy it). Will be interested to see reviews on the reading experience on a KFHD, which is the main use I would put it to.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:28 AM   #56
positron
positron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT SO
I like them, but I won't be upgrading from my K4 NT.

I will wait till next year to see if Amazon will release a front-lit "PaperColour" Kindle!
positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:30 AM   #57
positron
positron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT SO
double post
positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:33 AM   #58
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I am liking the new Paperwhite version although a little skeptical on the 'white' screen as oppose to they grey I currently have on my Kindle 3.

Will this be 'too in your face'?

When the light is off, does it revert back to the greyscale of the previous generations?

Would a US version work over here in the UK?
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:43 AM   #59
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
...Bezos should stop listening to his wife --- size matters...

I think, Bezos' wife is fine with 8.9 inch
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:03 AM   #60
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
I can still respect Amazon's eink offerings, but they don't offer enough extra to make me feel the need to buy.

I feel a sense this time that Amazon's Kindle has firmly moved from leading the market to following a market that has no single leader. Their one definitive advantage is the quality of their store and delivery network.

I feel that features on my Sony 650 such as high quality multi-lingual dictionaries and decent epub and PDF support are the kind of elements that make a device unmissable. Backlighting and higher resolution are fine, but battery life is more important to me.

The Fires are a different matter, and if that was a type of product I had an interest in, they represent excellent value for money.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote