Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 05:55 AM   #1
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Is anyone getting a WeTab (released on 23 Sept at Amazon.de)?

Just curious if I am the only person who is thinking of buying one?
It seems awesome in comparison with iPad.
Once it becomes available I'd love to see a forum for it here...

+I trust a DE company any day over the Silicon Valley (EU pride!)

Anyway it's around EUR500 depending on which model you choose and it doesn't have any of the known limitations to iPad. (tied to apple, no multitasking, no flash etc).

The price is good too, compared with iPad: Seems you get a bit more for the money.

On the other hand, my ability to pick gadgets to buy seems a bit flawed. I bought an Irex DR800 just before they went into administration. So I want to hear what others think before I proceed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon

(Sorry I don't have time to translate, hope it makes sense anyway, since it's most tech details)

Produktmerkmale und technische Details
Highlights

* Das WeTab ist ein Tablet-PC der neusten Generation. Durchs Internet surfen, HD-Videos schauen, E-Mails schreiben, Musik hören - das WeTab legt Ihnen die Welt zu Händen.
* Der 29,5 cm (11,6") Multitouch-Breitbildschirm des WeTab brilliert nicht nur mit einer Darstellung von 1366x768 Pixeln: Dank 16:9-Format können Sie mediale Inhalte wie HD-Videos oder Zeitschriften optimal genießen
* Beste Konnektivität mit Bluetooth, WLAN 802.11 b/g/n, GPS und 3G UMTS/HSDPA (kein SIM-Lock, ein Standard-SIM-Slot und mit jedem Vertrag nutzbar)
* Speicher von 32GB (erweiterbar über SDHC-Karten), 1GB RAM, HD auf internem Display und über HDMI-Schnittstelle, Webcam 1.3 MP, Mikrofon, 2x USB, bis 6h Batterielaufzeit und Magnesium-Aluminium-Gehäuse
* Lieferumfang: WeTab, Netzteil, Displayputztuch, Schutzhülle

Produktmerkmale
# Display: 29,5 cm (11,6 Zoll) Multitouch-Breitbildschirm
# Auflösung: 1366x768 Pixeln, 16:9-Format
# Prozessor: 1,66 GHz Intel Atom N450 Pineview-M
# Speicher: 32 GB, erweiterbar über SDHC-Karten
# Arbeitsspeicher: 1 GB
# HD: Auf internem Display und über HDMI-Schnittstelle
# Webcam: 1.3 Megapixel
# Mikrofon: integriert
# Audioausgang: ja
# Schnittstellen: 2 USB Anschlüsse, Cardreader für SD/SDHC-Formate, HDMI-Schnittstelle, Standard SIM-Slot
# Batterielaufzeit: ca. 6 Stunden
# Kommunikation: Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, WLAN 802.11 b/g/n, 3G UMTS/HSDPA, GPS
# Gehäuse: Magnesium-Aluminium
# Abmessungen: 295×195×15mm
# Gewicht: ca. 850g
# Weiteres: Ambient-Light-Sensor, Beschleunigungssensor, Stereolautsprecher
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:07 AM   #2
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Looks like a great device!

However, if I were considering spending 500 Euro on a device, I would have two reasons not to buy this one:
- It's the very first tablet to come out with the MeeGo operating system. We don't know yet how good it is, if there will be a lot of apps, if it will survive the competition of Android, etc.
- Battery life only up to 6 hours. I know, other tablets are no better in this respect, but it does not compare to the battery life of E Ink readers, and it's not enough for a transatlantic flight.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 07:51 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
It does look good, but I've no need for a non-Windows tablet...

And Zetmolm, naturally, for that transatlantic flight you take both with you!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Why are you posting specification in German, when you can easily choose English on WeTab website and download even product specification pdf in English?
Quote:
Originally Posted by martienne View Post
+I trust a DE company any day over the Silicon Valley (EU pride!)
Do you remember Txtr?
The company that was supposed to sell WiFi enabled fantastic e-ink reading devices "Real Soon Now (TM)" at least a year ago?

Quote:
Anyway it's around EUR500 depending on which model you choose and it doesn't have any of the known limitations to iPad. (tied to apple, no multitasking, no flash etc).

The price is good too, compared with iPad: Seems you get a bit more for the money.
Well, it looks very interesting.
It has got Intel Atom processor inside, so *IF* they are successful we will see quite a few apps, perhaps a ported Ubuntu Netbook Remix, or even howto for installing windows.

I can't see any obvious catches or gotchas.
You should check what it can do "out of box", what applications you will have to purchase in order to use it as intended, what is the price of applications.
For me an important factor in deciding would be "Do I have to register to the shop with my Credit Card in order to download free applications?"
You should also investigate how difficult it will be to get generic Linux applications running on it and if such applications are ready to work with multitouch and in keyboard-less environment.

Oh, don't forget to look if the battery is user replaceable and what is the price of replacement. The best situation would be if you could carry a charged spare with you, but I am skeptical.

For quite a few years I was using Cassiopeia A-11 device. A Microsoft Windows CE 1.0 device. One of very, VERY few Windows CE 1.0 devices. The CE 1.0 was *SO* bad, it was abandoned very quickly and people that purchased the device had virtually no applications to install on it. There was one application you had to install - a patch. Without that patch the device ate batteries at an alarming rate even when it was switched off.
I was using the device strictly for reading e-books. It was almost unusable for anything else (by the time I purchased it third hand, for a small fraction of original price).
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
If there is an upgrade path to Windows 7, I might consider giving it a try.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Sorry about the German product description. I was on Amazon, not on the company website. I am not German myself and I only speak it poorly.
I'll replace it with an English description. EDIT: I get a 404 error when I try to get to their English page for WeTab. Hmm........

@Cyguy; the device should be easy enough for someone with the time and skills to hack. I am pretty sure you could run Windows on it, but why would you want to after they went to all the trouble of developing a custom OS?
Old 09-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
@Cyguy; the device should be easy enough for someone with the time and skills to hack. I am pretty sure you could run Windows on it, but why would you want to after they went to all the trouble of developing a custom OS?
Because the reason for having a computer is to run programs on it. I don't know how many programs are available for their custom o/s, but I rather suspect that it won't be as many as are available for Windows.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Because the reason for having a computer is to run programs on it. I don't know how many programs are available for their custom o/s, but I rather suspect that it won't be as many as are available for Windows.
If their claims are true about the stuff it can run then it should be okay, but given the large amount of changes this has undergone since they first announced it, I think most people are going to take a wait and see approach to it.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.

Well all Android apps can run on it, as I understand. That covers my needs, I think -- have not used Android, but based on what I've read about it.

Apparently they sneaking in an ad applet among the apps.
Hopefully someone will quickly release a hack to get rid of that.

Oh on the Windows comment: I just remembered that they had some kind of preview of this back in the spring and there was a bit of a scandal because they were running Win on it during the demo, not their own Android based OS. This is covered on some tech sites.. So no doubt you could format it and run Win if you really wanted.

Last edited by martienne; 09-21-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #10
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Id very much like to try one out. It has everything I want in a tablet. Ports, HD, HDMI out and chat cam. The battery is a little short. I'd like to see 8-10 hours and actually prefer 10+.

My understanding though is that they wont sell one to me. They are only shipping to Europe for now and selling at brick and mortar German resellers.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #11
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
The battery is a little short. I'd like to see 8-10 hours and actually prefer 10+.
Yep. I have yet to be convinced I need a tablet device, though I'm open to being converted. Though I can't foresee ever buying an Apple product again, I'd consider an Android device. I'd definitely want longer battery life, and would prefer to buy from a larger manufacturer.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Nope... The WeTab has been receiving bad review comments in germany (http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/gadge...718994,00.html) like flash making it loud, HD vids playing choppy, not having a portrait mode, bad/no-multi touch and the motion sensor not working.

Me personally, spent 2 months hesitating about buying an iPad because of the WeTab. Finally I decided some weeks ago for sin and bought the apple. For me the advantages are moot. I don't want the camera, USB port or flash. And also the WeTab is heavier and has shorter battery lifetime, a real turn off for me =(.

Last edited by darknessangel; 09-23-2010 at 01:31 PM.
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #13
jamesread
Banned
jamesread began at the beginning.

Device: none
I get wet abs after every morning shower.
jamesread is offline   Reply With Quote