Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-26-2009, 04:31 PM   #16
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Thank you, dylenol, that looks promising!!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:24 AM   #17
dylenol
dylenol began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh Son View Post
dylenol, can you post some photos of what it looks like in real life?
Sure, I can do that in a couple days. Left the reader in my car which is in the shop

Once I get it back I will take some photos for you all to see.
dylenol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2009, 07:53 AM   #18
derkarts
derkarts began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
Did anyone try reading it with polarizing glasses on? You would probably need a lot of light, but i'd guess it reduces the glare. As it does on car windows, water etc...
derkarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:32 AM   #19
Rafaelo4
Sky Plane Dweller
Rafaelo4 began at the beginning.

Can we have those photos yet?
Rafaelo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:52 AM   #20
NSqirrel
Enthusiast
NSqirrel began at the beginning.

I looked, online, at 3m Vikuiti screen protector, which can be bought quite readily. I haven't tried it yet, but as I was looking pre-receiving my 600, my thoughts were to buy a larger sheet and cut to size, while keeping the rest as a spare.

Edit: I have found a youtube video about it at www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eai9KzZiV6M . The sound is in German, but it is self explanatory.

Last edited by NSqirrel; 10-28-2009 at 02:59 AM.
NSqirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 03:28 AM   #21
electronic.zhu
electronic.zhu began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 650/ipod touch
To me, it does not matter

Last edited by electronic.zhu; 10-29-2009 at 03:30 AM.
electronic.zhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #22
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
the glare really isn't that bad,
That's true for me, too.

Quote:
give it a week and you wont notice it ever, give it a minute, and you will forget about it.
Uh...not so true for me. I notice it almost every time I read on it. Some days it bugs me more than others. But it's not enough - for me - to override the features I like about the 600.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:42 PM   #23
donald1
Enthusiast
donald1 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I tried some screen protectors (anti glare version) from eBay. The brand was Screenpatronus (?). Today I applied the screenprotector. It even does make the screen a little better readable but increases the glare. It looks like a real mirror.
I like the improvement of the screen but removed the protector due to the fact that the glare was so much larger.... A pity.
donald1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #24
Hanselda
Enthusiast
Hanselda began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook, Sony PRS 600
I am still very skeptical about the usefulness of such film. As far as I can tell, the main problem of the reader is that the contrast is reduced contrast compared to the device without the touchscreen. This effect is due to the absorption of light in the touchscreen, and the reflection of light on the touchscreen surface. The absorption is the effect of a thin indium-tin oxide layer which provides the conductivity of the touchscreen. The dielectric plate of the touchscreen in fact absorbs very litter. This effect cannot be cured by any film on top of the touchscreen.

In principle a anti-reflective film can increase the transmissivity of the dielectric plate. For this one needs a exact matching of film thickness to 1/4 of the wavelength (which means about 130 nm) and the optical index of the film to be square root of the dielectric plate. I highly doubt that this is doable with a sticky film.

And also, the surface of the PRS 600 screen already has a matte finish, the reflected light is diffusive. It is not like a mirror.

Last edited by Hanselda; 11-19-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Hanselda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:22 PM   #25
donald1
Enthusiast

Due to the fact that I'm carefull with touchscreens do I try another screen protector. The ebay seller explained why I got a 'glaring' version. The matte version did make the PRS-600 view blurred, I could return the protector and will get my money back

After checking some threads/forums I will try the Vikuiri-3M 200ARM matte version a try.
I will receive the protector in the coming days and update this forum of the results.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:51 AM   #26
donald1
Enthusiast

I got yesterday my new screen protector, applied it and .....
The screen looks ok. It is about the same, not much of a difference. It's today a rainy day in the Neteherlands therefore I can not say how it looks in hte sunlight. Indoors it's ok.
The screen is protected and the readability seems to be unchanged, so I'm satisfied !
Old 11-23-2009, 12:02 AM   #27
okalyddude
Enthusiast
okalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enough

Device: E600
@ donald1

And the touch screen works just as well for highlighting / double clicking?

I'm curious if anyone has truly found an anti-glare film that doesn't (significantly) decrease contrast... it's not usually too big an issue, but I do a lot of reading in doors, in places where I cannot control the lights (a shared office at work, where i am now, or coffee shops), and just have to find the right angle, but that's a tad tedious.
okalyddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:40 AM   #28
donald1
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by okalyddude View Post
@ donald1

And the touch screen works just as well for highlighting / double clicking?

I'm curious if anyone has truly found an anti-glare film that doesn't (significantly) decrease contrast... it's not usually too big an issue, but I do a lot of reading in doors, in places where I cannot control the lights (a shared office at work, where i am now, or coffee shops), and just have to find the right angle, but that's a tad tedious.
Hi,

The touch-functionality seems to be ok. I did not notice a difference using my fingers or the stylus.
The contrast / readability is outdoors excellent, indoors it is ok to me.
Indoors there is a small difference but it is hard quantify.

The anti-glare is ok, but do not expect any miracles. The Sony screen itself has also a kind of anti-glare but you still have to find the right angle. The view of the screen with the protector has a somewhat different anti-glare behaviour. There is a small improvement.
As mentioned before my first need was screenprotectoion itself without decrease of readability. The anti-glare is just a plus for me.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #29
okalyddude
Enthusiast
okalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enough

Device: E600
I agree with you on the need to put a screen protector on.. sure you have the brown cover, and I'm going to get an M-case or book armor or something to carry around the whole thing, in the pleather brown case (which I find fine for comfort and protecting the outside from scratches, but not impact) but i still want to protect and insure this baby
okalyddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #30
Bitgod
Enthusiast
Bitgod began at the beginning.

Device: iPad / PRS-600 / iPhone 3G
I ordered the Lexerd anti-glare film via Amazon. I'll give them this, I ordered it Friday afternoon and got it Monday.

Overall, I can't complain. I'm not sure how much it helps, I'd say it doesn't hurt it, I don't find it any harder to read. It may help a little with the glare. I would have put some type of film on the screen since it's a touch screen, so overall I'm not disappointed.
Bitgod is offline   Reply With Quote