Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
KindleInTheCity
KindleInTheCity began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle & .AZW/PID

Okay, I have two questions about getting content onto my kindle. First, I downloaded the Python program and kindle scripts and got a book transferred from .prc to .azw successfully. However, when I try to open it on my Kindle I get this message:

The selected item could not be opened. Please use your computer to visit Amazon.com and click on "Manage Your Kindle" on the "Your Account" page for help in solving this issue.

Secondly, is there any way to get places like ebookmall not to strip the * from you PID so you can upload those books to your kindle as well?

Thanks!!!!
KindleInTheCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Where did you get the book from? If it's a library book and it has expired, it won't open on the Kindle even if you attach the PID.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleInTheCity View Post
First, I downloaded the Python program and kindle scripts and got a book transferred from .prc to .azw successfully. However, when I try to open it on my Kindle I get this message:
Ok. You don't need to convert from .prc to .azw. Kindle will open a .prc ebook as long as it doesn't have DRM on it. Is this a DRMed ebook you are talking about?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Okay, I have two questions about getting content onto my kindle. First, I downloaded the Python program and kindle scripts and got a book transferred from .prc to .azw successfully. However, when I try to open it on my Kindle I get this message:

The selected item could not be opened. Please use your computer to visit Amazon.com and click on "Manage Your Kindle" on the "Your Account" page for help in solving this issue.

Secondly, is there any way to get places like ebookmall not to strip the * from you PID so you can upload those books to your kindle as well?

Thanks!!!!
I suspect that you may not have gotten a correct PID for your Kindle and that is why the book will not open now in your Kindle. When putting in your serial number to get your PID, a couple of frequent errors occur.
1.The serial number must be input without spaces. 2.The serial number must be input using Capital letters 3.The 0 are numerics, not alphas. You might want to double check this first. If the resulting PID is, indeed different, you will need to change it at your book seller and download the book again.

Another common problem is that your book is actually drm'd with the pid for your PC, not for your Kindle.

Your other option is removing the drm.
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:22 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Removing the DRM is the easiest solution. Then all you need do is use your PCs PID at every shop and you are set.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2008, 12:46 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Removing the DRM is the easiest solution. Then all you need do is use your PCs PID at every shop and you are set.
Removing DRM is often illegal depending on where you live. Setting up a correct PID is a one time thing and then you don't have to do anything but read your eBooks. Your solution requires intervention on every eBook you buy or take.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
KindleInTheCity

Thanks guys, I tried it 3 different times and then removed it and redid everything again and it ended up working. What other alternatives are there for getting books (other than the library & amazon) that don't strip the * from the PID like ebookmall and a few others do? And any other way to put the * back in if they do strip it?
Old 10-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks guys, I tried it 3 different times and then removed it and redid everything again and it ended up working. What other alternatives are there for getting books (other than the library & amazon) that don't strip the * from the PID like ebookmall and a few others do? And any other way to put the * back in if they do strip it?
Your best bet is to install Mobipocket Reader software and get the PID from that to use at the eBook stores. Then use mobidedrm on it... the resulting non-DRMed .prc file will work on your Kindle.

Or, you can buy LIT ebooks and use convertLit then use lit2mobi.exe from mobiperl package.

BOb
Old 10-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #9
KindleInTheCity

Thanks Bob--now another stupid question, I know the python kindlefix scripts, but where can I find the mobidedrm script?

Thank you!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2008, 09:18 PM   #10
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

The one place that had it (darkreverser's blog) doesn't have it anymore
Old 10-13-2008, 09:23 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks Bob--now another stupid question, I know the python kindlefix scripts, but where can I find the mobidedrm script?

Thank you!!!!!!!
If you google around you will probably find it.

BOb
Old 10-13-2008, 11:38 PM   #12
GatorDeb
Evangelist

I was informed that the links at the blog are still there but under new blog entries.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And if you can find version 0.02 thent here are patches someplace on the forum (in one of the threads) that will let you convert it to 0.04 whihc is the only version you'll need.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:06 PM   #14
jams1fan
Kindled
jams1fan is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle, Treo 700p
How'd You do It?

Quote:
KitC, how'd you finally get it to work? I've tried multiple times and still receive the same error message you were getting? Thanks for any help. ~D.
jams1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:38 AM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jams1fan View Post
KitC, how'd you finally get it to work? I've tried multiple times and still receive the same error message you were getting? Thanks for any help. ~D.
Did you follow the tutorial on the Wiki?

BOb