Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-31-2012, 06:54 PM   #76
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I don't think there was much correct about it.
Personally, I'd like to see little more unbiased, long-term scientific study on the effect of all the new EM sources we've created in the last century.
For that matter, I'd like to see more study in capturing that ambient EMR to power all our devices...cuz, heck, if it turns out there is enough energy there to hurt us, we might as well put it to good use!

ApK
Obviously, if RF creates heat when absorbed, too much heat can cook or kill tissue.

All of the studies I pointed out in the link indicate that more study is needed. They are empirical statistical studies based on the opinions of the participants about their causative experiences, and even though they came to the conclusion that the wireless devices are safe, our usage patterns are changing and we need REAL scientific studies.

And as I mentioned multiple times in previous posts, ELF does have biological effects which are known to cause potential harm (leukemia) in growing children. But higher frequencies do not travel as far into the body due to the "skin effect", and are absorbed (converted to heat) much closer to the surface of the body. Other than heat damage and discomfort, the biological effects are minimal until you reach frequencies high enough (beyond long wave ultraviolet "black light") where the photon energy is high enough to damage DNA in the skin cells. Too much wireless exposure at too high an energy level can heat the eyes, causing cataracts, but that is from the heat damage.

It is just that at the low levels that we use for wifi, and the fact that ebook devices are held at arms length, means that we have far less risk of getting tumors from our wifi ebooks than we get benefit from their wireless features. A risk/reward factor leans heavily in the reward direction.

None of those things are incorrect, as stated above and in past posts that you indirectly reference in your claim. And I posted plenty of correct facts and resources, backed by significant study from reliable sources. In fact, I think that I posted a LOT more correct facts than you give credit for (i.e. not much).

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-31-2012 at 11:19 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:41 PM   #77
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
In fact, I think that I posted a LOT more correct facts than you give credit for (i.e. not much).
I was referring halo's post, the one you were referring to as "a correct opinion", which lumped all forms of non-ionizing radiation into the "it can't be bad because we get more from the sun..." category.

I don't think it was a correct, or sensible, way to address the concern. Your way was.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2012, 10:54 PM   #78
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I was referring to halo's post, the one you were referring to as "a correct opinion", which lumped all forms of non-ionizing radiation into the "it can't be bad because we get more from the sun..." category.

I don't think it was a correct, or sensible, way to address the concern. Your way was.
Thanks. I needed that.

I realized at the time that my "agreement" with halo was vastly oversimplified, but I wanted to keep it short. And technically, all absorbed radiation does become heat. It is the quantity that determines its health affects, and there are risks and benefits. Although most of us are afraid of nuclear/atomic radiation, it appears that small amounts of such ionizing radiation are beneficial to health, which could be surprising to many. You can find more about this at links posted in previous threads above. And you get vitamin D creation from sun exposure, but you can also get melanoma if you overdo it. Almost everything can be good or bad depending on exposure intensity and duration. Moderation is the key.

This has been a fun thread. I wish other threads were more fun. Being so helpful to so many people suddenly got a LOT less fun (another thread), making me wonder why I have devoted so much of my time to helping so many people in the Dev Corner forum. Perhaps it is time for me to play with some of my new toys instead.

At least this thread brought a new experience into my life today: Bacon Sundae at Burger King!

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-31-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:15 PM   #79
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
@geekmaster:We will miss you helping out in the dev corner. At least I brought the happiness of a bacon sundae into your life.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:26 PM   #80
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
@geekmaster:We will miss you helping out in the dev corner. At least I brought the happiness of a bacon sundae into your life.
I may be back. I just need to calm down a little bit. Some recent activity and PMs have me a bit upset at the moment, but that may pass. It just made me realize that there are many other things in my life that are competing for the time that I have been spending here. Balance is important for happiness.

Even if I do continue playing with my kindles, I will try to spend more time creating cool stuff, instead of devoting so much of my time and energy to creating well researched answers to questions asked in these forums (especially the Kindle Developer's Corner forum).

I will have to rely on others to provide the assistance that I have been giving so freely. I need to spend more time playing with my technotoys (including my kindles). It has been awhile since I released a cool new demo.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-31-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Advert
Old 09-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #81
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
@geekmaster: I'll do what I can to help give answers.

Looking forward to the new demo!
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #82
lmittell
Enthusiast
lmittell began at the beginning.

Device: K2, K3, Jetbook Lite, iPhone4
From now on, I'm not coming out of my Faraday cage, period.
lmittell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #83
jondelfin
Enthusiast
jondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, 3, 4T
People [so called experts experts who get paid for there knowledge?? post this nonsense just to get a reaction] we should not jump so eagerly to take the bait
jondelfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #84
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondelfin View Post
People [so called experts experts who get paid for there knowledge?? post this nonsense just to get a reaction] we should not jump so eagerly to take the bait
People have strong convictions about "radiation" (such a scary word), and it is hard to get past that. But bacon is GREAT bait, and this "word dance" made for a fun discussion (especially the bacon ice cream and bacon tree video)!

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-13-2012 at 11:43 AM.