Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
heychadwick
heychadwick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.heychadwick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.heychadwick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.heychadwick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-300
Size problems for .pdf docs for PRS-300

Hi All,

I just got a PRS-300 for Xmas. The main reason that I wanted one was to take my library of .pdf documents for game books with me. I play a lot of varied war games and there are a lot of rule books for them. It would be so useful if I could have all my game books in one e-book that I could carry around. I'm not so much interested in e-novels and such, but using my existing .pdf documents in a portable format.

A friend of mine created most of the .pdf's that I have. They are scans of the game manuals. There is a Table of Contents and I can zip to where I want. What I can't do is zoom in! The pages are just too small. I can't read them. I hit the zoom button. It flashes. Nothing happens.

How can I get them in a readable format? I have switched to vertical viewing and it helps a little, but there has to be a better way.

My google-fu let me learn about Calibre. I heard if I convert it to epub that I might have better luck. I converted a few of them to try it out. The only change was that I lost the Table of Contents.

I don't want to have to re-create all of these books in .pdf (or other format). I have between 12-50 that I would like to have. I wouldn't even know how to create them as a new document.

any advice on what I can do?
heychadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:20 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
The problem sounds like your pdf's are not OCR'd text which means that each page is actually a picture rather than text which means text zooming doesn't work nor reflow as the contents are actually a series of pictures (each page) assembled into a pdf. eReaders don't handle these well but there is a way to enlarge... sorry can't remember offhand... it's nearly 4.30 here and I'm just heading to bed... if I can remember and someone else doesn't beat me to it, I'll try and remember later today when my brain's awake again...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 08:02 AM   #3
heychadwick
heychadwick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.heychadwick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.heychadwick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.heychadwick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Yes! It is done as a graphic.

I hope you can remember how to do it! If I can't get these enlarged, I am not sure how useful my ebook will actually be

Some of the most important part are charts that have game information. I think charts and tables are always done as graphics. So, if I can't get them handled proper, then I will be in trouble.

Last edited by heychadwick; 12-27-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
heychadwick

So, no other advice? Should I post in one of the main forums for that type of a question?
Old 12-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
Try Solid Converter PDF (http://www.soliddocuments.com/produc...idConverterPDF) and convert your documents to MS Word format.
In Word, try to change page size and font size.
If you like the result, install some free pdf printer driver (say, CutePDF) and recreate you document in pdf.
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert