No, the company will go under by 2008 8 8.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
pdam
Groupie
pdam doesn't litterpdam doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, iPaq, Psion5&7, Blackberry
Will iRex Survive?

With so much heated debate around advertising of the Iliad and the features so far delivered ... it would be interested to see if people believe iRex will survive and prosper as a company or go to the wall.

Last edited by pdam; 03-20-2007 at 06:49 AM.
pdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:49 AM   #2
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I don´t think they will go under, because it´s a startup from Philips and they won´t let them die that easy ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2007, 08:07 AM   #3
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
Do not be sure of that. Big companies do create daughter companies to burn them in a test. I have seen it when CD-ROM was new.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:54 AM   #4
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Err, as I understand it their only relationship with phillips is an R&D/patent agreement and that the people that started it were formerly employees of phillips.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:08 AM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I assumed the "iLiad 2" is not the slightly revised unit being offered later this spring, but some future unit that actually has better power management and other capabilities. I also assumed that the term "iLiad 2" includes how they help (or fail to help) early adopters migrate to any future platform.

Really, I think most of their success or failure in the near term has to do with whether they are able to get their priorities in order and complete some missing software features. Implement the battery upgrade program and move on to making promised software improvements. As I've said elsewhere, I suspect they are chasing too many potential customers to satisfy any of them.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2007, 09:22 AM   #6
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
I think capability of a broad range of current titles is critical. Today, like it or not, that means they need something that can read DRMd files. If MobiPocket is available soon (as heavily rumored of late) then it could be a whole new ball game.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:57 AM   #7
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I think they would have to come up with a vastly improved Iliad 2.0 in the next 6 months or they will go down. Even mobipocket support won't help the current Iliad model survive for long because nobody can seriously be expected to recharge a book every few days (and that is with constant on/off of the device to conserve what little power ther eis...)
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:06 AM   #8
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
the current and the revised hardware design (lacking suspend), ist just a to big problem for the average user. The capabilities of the hardware are great, but something like powermanagement is a important part for a device like this. For me it's not that I can't live with the state the powermanagement is at the moment, but if I had known that suspend will never be possible before I bought it, I wouldn't have bought it, for this one reason.

And like CommanderROR i doubt that support for Mobipocket could help against that.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 03:19 PM   #9
drahnreb
drahnreb began at the beginning.

I think they will not surrender.

The concept of the Iliad is top, but the quality of the software und the slow bugfix speed will give the Iliad the deathblow.
drahnreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:48 PM   #10
Blue
Connoisseur
Blue is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure they'll survive. If software development goes slow then it must mean that they are too busy selling.

Are there alot of B2B customers complaining? I mean, that's their real market right? So who are we to complain about charging batteries are book support? You do hear them say that they are working on it right? It could be worse!

I bet that everyone who is being so negative all the time will keep replying negative with every new software release.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:57 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I don't have an iLiad, I don't have a dog in this hunt, but in fairness, they don't have much in the way of B2B customers yet. Not that we've found out about anyway.

What is actually in the releases is the biggest factor in whether folks complain or not.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:13 AM   #12
pdam
Groupie
pdam doesn't litterpdam doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, iPaq, Psion5&7, Blackberry
68% in the maybe range ...
With MobiPocket support nearly(?) here ... with an un-bricking capability as well there could still be renewed interest in the Iliad, either B2B or B2C ...
pdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:35 AM   #13
scstraus
scstraus began at the beginning.

I think it's rediculous that this device came out without power management. A lot of it I'm sure has to do with the touchscreen, but I think there should be 2 modes- "Reader Mode" where it just changes the page and then hibernates(no CPU/touchscreen) until next page turn, and then "Active" mode where you can use WiFi, touchscreen, etc.

The sad thing is that they are so very close to the ideal device. A web browser, direct updating RSS, and proper power management would make this device so incredibly useful. It seems like such a small thing to do after building the whole device and launching it, to just make some software updates.

Anyhow, as it stands now, it's still a wait and see for me. Price and battery life are too close to notebook computers for it to differentiate itself in it's current incarnation.
scstraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:43 AM   #14
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
As I see it now, the Ilyad is too high priced for early adapters, when there's the Sony Reader. And the available features don't justify it's price. Unless they Philips really do something innovative, this company won't last long.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:04 PM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I suspect this is why they've been a lot more supportive of the developer community lately. They need more functionality than they can afford to develop themselves. (But I think the price is still too high.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote