Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #8626
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Finished Elizabeth Peters' Borrower of the Night, 1st in the Vicky Bliss series which was a rather good read.

Though it started off somewhat slowly (at certain points I was pretty blank on exactly what the characters were doing and why because I'd vaguely skimmed the library catalogue blurb and couldn't remember what the book was supposed to be about) it did pick up and become a quite entertaining untangling the aristocratic family mystery/historical treasure hunt novel.

It was almost a non-murder mystery, which was fairly refreshing, given that I was expecting the characters to trip over and/or provide freshly-killed corpses every few chapters the way that most mysteries consider de rigueur*.

Fun enough for me to pick up the other books from the library (I currently have 2 more out and will shortly figure out which comes where in the series, something that HC has not seen fit to print in the front of the book, so I guess I'll be comparing copyright dates). I should mention that the PDF e-book edition of this had a small number of typos, which must be rather irritating for people who paid for that version and can't fix them short of copy-pasting hand-assembed replacement images of the "corrected" text on top of the mistakes.

Incidentally, this seems to mark the halfway mark for the 100 books in 2011 challenge for me. The list says it's #50 of the new reads (re-reads I mark with roman numerals or alphabetical suffixes, depending on whether I do them in paper or e-).

* Some authors seem to think that the sleuthiness of their sleuth is judged by the size of his/her inadvertent body count. Bonus points if extra people were killed because they were getting too close to the truth.

Doubleplus bonus points if the killer who seems about to get away with it all due to a lack of concrete evidence is accidentally killed by the sleuth who's just figured everything out and stupidly gone to accuse the killer without proper backup while the killer is trying to kill the sleuth to get rid of the final piece of evidence.

Last edited by ATDrake; 03-14-2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: 50th book of the year.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:29 PM   #8627
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
I stayed up late yesterday to finish Riyria Revelations' first book. 2am. and I'm definitely going to the next one in the series love it, Iridal
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 02:36 AM   #8628
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Going through my Read an E-book Week Smashwords specials to decide which, if any, sequels to get.

Finished Elizabeth Ann Scarborough's The Drastic Dragon of Draco, Texas, one of her previously printed 80s backlist books which I freely admit I just picked up because there was a dragon involved, according to the blurb and cover art. It turned out to be a fairly funny comedic period fantasy, with a re-awakened alien dragon god raiding cattle in the Wild West and expecting sacrifice, though not of the sort you might expect.

Scarborough's use of dialect is much more tolerable in this book than in The Godmother's Apprentice. More naturalistic use of quaint folksy vocabulary and fewer teeth-gritting phonetic misspellings to indicate "foreign" speechifying.

Fun light mock-western fantasy romp, mildly recommended if you like such (a bit reminiscent of Alan Dean Foster's Mad Amos stories, come to think of it). I enjoyed it enough to go and buy the sequel in my 2nd batch of Smashwords purchases this afternoon after skimming the sample, which seems to set things up promisingly.

Currently moved on to Scarborough's Channeling Cleopatra, which seems to be a relatively newly written small-press book about using genetic material to recreate the personalities of famous historical personages within donor hosts.

Mildly interesting so far, but not really grabbing me. Unless it becomes very compelling within the next few chapters, I think I'll leave off getting the follow-up until the next round of sales.
Oh. My. I read this YEARS ago in paperback (my mom had it) and ADORED it. I had forgotten all about it until just now when you mentioned it. I HAVE to have this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Started The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society this morning and have managed to knock almost half of it off.

Thanks to a recommendation from bevdeforges after I read 84, Charing Cross Road.

Book lovers will love this novel.
I did totally love it. Read it twice, as a matter of fact.

Quote:
Finished Elizabeth Peters' Borrower of the Night, 1st in the Vicky Bliss series which was a rather good read.

Though it started off somewhat slowly (at certain points I was pretty blank on exactly what the characters were doing and why because I'd vaguely skimmed the library catalogue blurb and couldn't remember what the book was supposed to be about) it did pick up and become a quite entertaining untangling the aristocratic family mystery/historical treasure hunt novel.

It was almost a non-murder mystery, which was fairly refreshing, given that I was expecting the characters to trip over and/or provide freshly-killed corpses every few chapters the way that most mysteries consider de rigueur*.

Fun enough for me to pick up the other books from the library (I currently have 2 more out and will shortly figure out which comes where in the series, something that HC has not seen fit to print in the front of the book, so I guess I'll be comparing copyright dates). I should mention that the PDF e-book edition of this had a small number of typos, which must be rather irritating for people who paid for that version and can't fix them short of copy-pasting hand-assembed replacement images of the "corrected" text on top of the mistakes.

Incidentally, this seems to mark the halfway mark for the 100 books in 2011 challenge for me. The list says it's #50 of the new reads (re-reads I mark with roman numerals or alphabetical suffixes, depending on whether I do them in paper or e-).

* Some authors seem to think that the sleuthiness of their sleuth is judged by the size of his/her inadvertent body count. Bonus points if extra people were killed because they were getting too close to the truth.

Doubleplus bonus points if the killer who seems about to get away with it all due to a lack of concrete evidence is accidentally killed by the sleuth who's just figured everything out and stupidly gone to accuse the killer without proper backup while the killer is trying to kill the sleuth to get rid of the final piece of evidence.
Vicky at least admits when she's been stupid. (Yes, I talk about her like she's a real person...read a few more and you'll know why!). The order is this:

Borrower of the Night
Street of the Five Moons
Silhouette in Scarlet
Trojan Gold
Night Train to Memphis (there's a story about the song in this one...ask me when you get to it and I'll explain.)
The Laughter of Dead Kings.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:26 AM   #8629
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Oh. I'm sorry to hear that. I rather liked it myself. I suppose the one thing that discussions like this thread help us to understand is that taste in literature varies a great deal.
That's ok. It was a library book anyway. I am a bit of a literary snob. I finish very few of the books I start.

This is why I didn't care for the ending ...

Spoiler:
The person who was "murdered" was the murderer. I really don't like for people to return from the dead. It's a cheap way to keep readers from figuring out whodunit. Also, the AIsource mind control angle was strange. Rogue computers and politics within computer minds? A downer.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:09 AM   #8630
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
This is why I didn't care for the ending ...

Spoiler:
The person who was "murdered" was the murderer. I really don't like for people to return from the dead. It's a cheap way to keep readers from figuring out whodunit. Also, the AIsource mind control angle was strange. Rogue computers and politics within computer minds? A downer.
Yeah, granted it's an old plot device.
Spoiler:
Although the convenient absence of a body should have made me much more suspicious. I rather liked the whole AI take on things, even if they are (almost literally, not just literarily) deus ex machina.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 06:14 AM   #8631
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Well. Lighter, but one or two of the stories are a little grim in a blackly humorous way. A fun read in general.

Next, another from the October 2010 webscription: Monster Hunter Vendetta by Larry Correia

This is his second novel, following on from Monster Hunter International. I enjoyed the first, and hope the second is equally enjoyable.

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-16-2011 at 05:43 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:19 AM   #8632
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
I stayed up late yesterday to finish Riyria Revelations' first book. 2am. and I'm definitely going to the next one in the series love it, Iridal
If you liked the first book, you're going to love the rest of the series I can't take all the credit by the way, I started reading this series because Latinandgreek recommended them.

The Hunger Games was superb! I'm going to start the next one in the series (Catching Fire) tonight.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:46 AM   #8633
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
Having enjoyed Aldiss's Greybeard (see here http://sfaddict.blogspot.com/2011/03...oud-beard.html I'm going to read a similar book by J.G.Ballard, The Wind from Nowhere, his debut novel from 1962!
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #8634
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Finally getting around to reading The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson.
Here's a review by Michael Chabon:
http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2...he-long-ships/
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #8635
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Started a short(ish) story by Ted Chiang - The Lifecycle of Software Objects.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #8636
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
With more of the classic mystery titles finally acquiring (legitimate) ebook versions, I've been indulging in Ellery Queen, John Dickson Carr, and Elizabeth Ferrars. And marveling continuously at these authors' command of language, and the breadth of their vocabulary (I've changed my Kindle default dictionary to the Chambers Dictionary - has much more coverage of older British & Scottish vocabulary and idioms)
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #8637
januaryman
Used DTBs & iPad User
januaryman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Don't give up on Twain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I tried to read Tom Sawyer recently and was not very impressed. I guess I should try again...
Tom Sawyer was more a children's book. Your adult tastes might enjoy Huckleberry Finn, but of course there is that N word issue that seems to bother folks. So The Mysterious Stranger would be best in that case. One of Twain's great commentary on us humans and a funny-tragic tale as well.

I just finished Agatha Christie's Mysterious Affair at Styles. Surprising things that lady could do to plots! It was a quick but engrossing read.

Last edited by januaryman; 03-15-2011 at 10:23 AM.
januaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #8638
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridal View Post
If you liked the first book, you're going to love the rest of the series I can't take all the credit by the way, I started reading this series because Latinandgreek recommended them.

The Hunger Games was superb! I'm going to start the next one in the series (Catching Fire) tonight.
I'm so happy that you both are enjoying the series so much!

I'm reading "Rats Saw God" (in p-book) by Rob Thomas. I had high hopes for this book, as I LOVE Thomas' t.v. series Veronica Mars and Party Down. So, far, it is not disappointing!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #8639
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society this morning. A quick read and a delightful book. It's a shame it's author didn't live to see how enthusiastically the reading world received her book.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #8640
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:

I think I have a list of the order on my blog, but even easier is to go to www.stopyourekillingme.com and plug in the series or author. It will list the order.

I LOVE that series. Remains one of my favorites!!!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote