Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi or 3G+WiFi?
Wi-Fi Only 205 53.11%
Wi-Fi+3G 181 46.89%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2010, 05:10 PM   #31
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
I've ordered wifi-only (I already have the original DX). My phone n900's 3G can be shared through a hotspot application. So, I am covered.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:03 PM   #32
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
I ordered the WiFi version. I don't travel much, at all, and have tons of books that need to be read loaded on my machine, so I never have that "gotta have it right this second" feeling. Plus $50 can go towards more books.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #33
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Well, the version in my cart is the WiFi. I don't travel much, have hundreds of unread books I can load onto it from Calibre, and I normally keep the wireless off and shop from the website and then at some point, at home, deliberately turn on wireless to download purchases - usually when I'm ready to do a dedrm and calibre import session. So the WiFi version will suit me just fine. I'm just trying to convince myself to go for it when my K1 still works fine...though I do have at least 2 people interested in purchasing it if I do upgrade.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:28 PM   #34
scveteran
Groupie
scveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Wi-Fi is the way to go for me since I never leave my house.
scveteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #35
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
My phone n900's 3G can be shared through a hotspot application. So, I am covered.
My Touch Pro 2 also does mobile hotspot, but IIRC, they said on amazon that the K3 can't connect through peer-to-peer/ad-hoc connections, which are what the mobile hotspot applications typically consist of. I've never seen a mobile wifi router application for smartphones that emulates a full router, it's always an ad-hoc connection.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 06:41 PM   #36
Mirtika
Mirtika began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505
I put both the wifi and wifi 3g in my "saved section" at amazon while I think about which one I should get. I'm leaning toward the 3g K3 with wi fi, honestly, but the truth is I probably will be buying books at home where I already have wireless, and all the McDonald's and Starbucks stores in my area are AT&T hot spots, so if I just HAVE TO HAVE IT, I can pop in to one of those (or the B&Ns, which would be tacky...but yeah, an option, too).

Do I want to spend the $50. I don't know.

I have had the Sony PRS 505 for a few years, and I'm really MORE tempted by the larger Kindle DXG, cause I have middle-aged crappy eyes...and the idea of making the font size, like, 20, appeals. But that price point IS NOT appealing

Anyone who uses reading glasses (at around 200 to 250)...can you read on the regular Kindle just fine without the specs?

Anyway, we are definitely gonna get an iPad (hubby is a software engineer and we both sort of went a wee bit gaga when we tested it in store) when the 2nd gen comes out--our mantra re Apple, ALWAYS WAIT FOR THE 2nD GEN!-- and that will be for an assortment of uses, but I want somethng JUST FOR my reading I'm allergic to all my glasses --had Lasik which helped--but still need them to read and have had to cut down reading time or read on the computer (not ideal), so the Kindle is really calling me.

Well, whatever. I'm just so confused given these price drops, what may be coming, and if they might come with a Kindle DXG with wi fi and a lower price that would really suit me better, maybe (unless I get tired holding it).

So, likely 3g Wi Fi Kindle3, Graphite...with a red cover to go with my 8 dozen assorted red lipsticks, natch.

Geez, do I ramble...

Last edited by Mirtika; 07-29-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Mirtika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #37
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
3g+wifi for myself too.. internet not as easily available for me when I travel around to "rural" area but the kindle2 3g worked swell. wifi is just a plus for when im in the city usage even though I would have been happy with 3g and blue tooth instead of 3g+wifi

and a pink light cover *squees*
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #38
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
wifi. But just thinking about this, I wonder updates will be delivered. Given the debacle over the 2.5 update, will we have to wait for Amazon to put it on their website?
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:38 PM   #39
BobLenx
Connoisseur
BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony505 K2 K3
Went for the WiFi version with a burnt orange basic cover. I spend winters in FL and summers in NY and the Spring WhisperNet in both places with my K2US rots. I have super fantastic WiFi in both FL and NY so savee the extra 50 bucks (paid for the cover shipping and tax).

Spent the day updating the metadata for all the eBooks on my laptop to be ready. Takes time to clean it all up properly. Such a pain to have an authors listed as FIRST LAST - LAST FIRST - LAST, FIRST - it is messy.
BobLenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:09 PM   #40
sprise
sprise began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (basic), Kobo Glo
I went with the wi-fi only version, as well. I have a wireless network at home, and always have enough books loaded on the reader at any given time that running out isn't an issue. I only use the 3G on my current Kindle to download samples, but even just turning it on ocassionally I've noticed it's nowhere near as reliable as my wireless service is.
sprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:01 PM   #41
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

I'm just curious about this: 3G is a $50 hardware premium, which is a very fair price if I thought I'd use it. I understand the older firmwares on the k2 could browse the web for like, basic facebook and blog-reading, but later that was disabled, is that correct?

With the k3, would 3g have any potential benefit aside from buying books wirelessly? Would the webkit browser have any hope of ever working over 3g (hacks, etc?) ??

If I thought the 3g would let me hope onto facebook and browse, and do simple email, I'd cancel the wifi preorder and go for the 3g graphite instead. But it seems like they're moving in the direction of limiting what you can do via whispernet, am I correct?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:12 PM   #42
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt314159 View Post
I'm just curious about this: 3G is a $50 hardware premium, which is a very fair price if I thought I'd use it. I understand the older firmwares on the k2 could browse the web for like, basic facebook and blog-reading, but later that was disabled, is that correct?

With the k3, would 3g have any potential benefit aside from buying books wirelessly? Would the webkit browser have any hope of ever working over 3g (hacks, etc?) ??

If I thought the 3g would let me hope onto facebook and browse, and do simple email, I'd cancel the wifi preorder and go for the 3g graphite instead. But it seems like they're moving in the direction of limiting what you can do via whispernet, am I correct?
The K2 has always been able to browse using 3G in the US. What happened was it got enabled for most countries in the latest big upgrade (2.5) and then there was a minor upgrade that disabled it for some countries. I assume enabling it was a mistake as letting folks browse where Amazon doesn't have contracts with cell providers (like the US and UK) got pretty expensive in paying roaming charges. So the browsing on the K3 is limited to WiFi depending on where you are and if they have an actual contract with a cell provider (US and UK are all I know of). At least that's how I understand things.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:21 PM   #43
matt314159
Groupie

so...there's a chance the k3 might work for internet via 3g in the US, w/o even needing to tweak/hack/sneak anything? This might change my mind and make me go for the 3g instead. Browsing the web on my cell phone (even though it's a 3.6" screen) is a pain, and usually all I need are facebook/gmail/blogs/vbulletin or phpbb forums. I can see that being very handy, indeed.

Thanks for the patience with the newbie question and for setting me straight. I've not followed the kindle much at all, so it's all new to me. I might be tempted to get the k3 3g, but what worried me was that it said that the webkit worked only via wifi.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:26 PM   #44
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt314159 View Post
so...there's a chance the k3 might work for internet via 3g in the US, w/o even needing to tweak/hack/sneak anything? This might change my mind and make me go for the 3g instead. Browsing the web on my cell phone (even though it's a 3.6" screen) is a pain, and usually all I need are facebook/gmail/blogs/vbulletin or phpbb forums. I can see that being very handy, indeed.

Thanks for the patience with the newbie question and for setting me straight. I've not followed the kindle much at all, so it's all new to me. I might be tempted to get the k3 3g, but what worried me was that it said that the webkit worked only via wifi.
The K3 WILL work for browsing via 3G in the US and UK (it mentions it right on the product page for both), I don't know about elsewhere, but have seen some areas are limited to WiFi for using the browser.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:36 PM   #45
matt314159
Groupie

*smacks head*...I need to check the product page again, because I saw this:
Quote:
New WebKit-Based Browser – Browse the web over Wi-Fi (experimental)
and assumed that was their subtle way of saying [but not 3g]

I'm going to the product page again, and if I see it with my own two eyes (not doubting you at all, just want to make sure....trust but verify ) I'm going to cancel my wifi preorder and change it to the graphite 3g.

Again, thanks for straightening me out! You look like you need more karma so I'm sending some your way

*eta - I'm the world's biggest goober, I had clicked through to the wifi version on the home page, which is why it only said wifi. On the 3g version's page:
Quote:
New WebKit-Based Browser – Free 3G web browsing (experimental)

*edit2 -Preorder changed. Thanks again!

Last edited by matt314159; 07-29-2010 at 11:47 PM.