Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
boran
boran began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, PocketBook 360
Linux/CybookOpus: Can't get book list from device

I try to run Calibre 0.6.13 under Linux (Ubuntu 9.10), but can't get a list of the books on my device. It seems like it's related to a deprecated SYSFS version shipped with my kernel. I could also be very wrong. :-)

Calibre is included in the standard repositories which seems a bit odd if the software isn't compatible with the kernel configuration. Is there a known fix for this (besides compiling my own kernel)?

Is there another distribution/*bsd I can try, something that's verified to work with a Cybook Opus?

(I searched the forums but couldn't find any threads discussing this)
boran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm pretty sure ubuntu 9.10 doesn't use the deprecated SYSFS interface. See the FAQ for how to check.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
boran

I got this:
boran@lillen:~$ grep SYSFS_DEPRECATED /boot/config-`uname -r`
# CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 is not set

I installed version 0.6.42 using the installer and get the following messages it tries to detect the device:

Unable to open device <calibre.devices.cybook.driver.CYBOOK object at 0xa9d086c>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 106, in do_connect
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/usbms/device.py", line 621, in open
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/usbms/device.py", line 591, in open_linux
DeviceError: Unable to detect the CYBOOK disk drive. Your kernel is probably exporting a deprecated version of SYSFS.
Connect to device failed, retrying in 5 seconds...
Old 02-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
boran

Hmm, I can't reproduce the error messages now.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:47 AM   #5
boran

Ok, I downgraded to version 0.6.13 in order to get back to a standard platform.
The device gets recognized but no books show up on the device. If I click on the our glass and "show job details", I get "No details available." for both the device information and book list.

When the reader is attached and recognized, a book icon appears in the bottom left corner. I suspect that is the book I bought and installed via ADE. When I have the reader marked and click on the book, it it says:

ERROR: No detailed info available: No detailed information is available for books on the device.

I can access it correctly as a USB mass storage device and from Adobe Digital Edition. Could the preinstalled books (one set from the manufacturer, and some additional books from the reseller) cause any of my problems?

I've tried both "calibre -v" and "calibre-debug -g" but I don't get much output.
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 02:50 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
0.6.13 is probably too old to have an Opus driver.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:44 AM   #7
boran

I upgraded to 0.6.42 again and it still doesn't work. When using strace on the loader process I repeatedly get this:

poll([{fd=3, events=POLLIN}, {fd=8, events=POLLIN}, {fd=7, events=POLLIN}], 3, 361) = 0 (Timeout)
read(7, 0xa9dd5f8, 4096) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, {6004, 25818613}) = 0
clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, {6004, 25863381}) = 0
clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, {6004, 25921559}) = 0
read(7, 0xa9dd5f8, 4096) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)

I installed calibre on the same virtual machine as I use for ADE (in wine) but I get the exact same results.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Ubuntu 9.10's kernel is fine.

You're issue is a hardware issue with your computer not being able to read the required information for the device.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #9
booksonthemove
Connoisseur
booksonthemove began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 with latest Calibre and Linux Ubuntu-9.10
nthing this. I'm using karmic right now (with a prs 600)
booksonthemove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:57 AM   #10
boran

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Ubuntu 9.10's kernel is fine.

You're issue is a hardware issue with your computer not being able to read the required information for the device.
I suspected that, but since I could add a book with ADE and the device mounts as a mass storage device, I thought it was in the software/drivers.
I'll try with another laptop (running Windows XP) and see if that gives me any new ideas.

Longshot: Since there were preinstalled books from two different sources, could the directory structure on the reader hinder Calibre in any way?
Old 02-24-2010, 05:29 AM   #11
booksonthemove
Connoisseur
booksonthemove began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 with latest Calibre and Linux Ubuntu-9.10
Quote:
Originally Posted by boran View Post
I installed calibre on the same virtual machine as I use for ADE (in wine) but I get the exact same results.
I didn't notice the bolded part originally. Virtualisation does all kinds of crazy stuff - typically you lose direct access to hardware as this is implicit in the process.

What is the host OS? The virtual OS? Do you get the same results within the host? What were the host/guest circumstances of your previous output?

FWIW I'm using karmic & latest calibre (.42) directly with sony prs 600, and no issues. The only difference seems to be that you're using virtualisation if I understand correctly.
booksonthemove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #12
boran

I use Karmik on both the host and guest machines. I've tested the (too old) 0.6.13 version from the release as well as the latest (0.6.42) on both the host platform and virtual machine.

Since I tried the above on my netbook too, I suspect it might be the reader (which had books installed from both Bookeen and the bookstore I bought it from) or some clash with software and firmware versions.

The reason for using a virtual machine is that ADE wanted me to register the computer as well. By doing this, I never need to re-register anything, all the books are in one place and the whole machine is backed up. If ADE only could manage the books...

Thank you for helping me!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
boran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boran View Post
Longshot: Since there were preinstalled books from two different sources, could the directory structure on the reader hinder Calibre in any way?
That was it. My books all resided in a directory called "Digital Editions", probably created by ADE when I bought my first ebook or when the extra books from the store was placed on the device.

After manually moving all books to a directory "ebooks", Calibre found the books and started working as expected.

With all DRM epubs out there I thought "Digital Editions" would be a quite obvious place to look for books, or is this something unique for me?