Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 11-26-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
TimeWeaver
TimeWeaver began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Can't transfer firmware update

Am I doing something wrong?

When I try to transfer the unzipped v5setup.bin file to the 2G card that came with the Reader I get this message: "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

I get the same message when using my card reader/writer which will transfer books to the card, and I have transferred files to the card through the Reader.

I used WinZip to open the file.
I'm running XP, service pack 3 on a Dell, using the front USB port.
I've also tried to copy the file with Explorer, same message.
TimeWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
1) Did you say you can transfer other files to the 2GB card that comes with the PocketPro?

If so that would suggest that the card is working fine and the issue is with the downloaded file.

2) Have you tried copying the file to a different SD card?

If that copies to a different SD card, then that would suggest that the issue is with the 2GB SD card that comes with the PocketPro.

If nothing will copy to any SD card then your SD card reader/writer may have a fault.

If the file will copy to another SD card and you can copy other files to the 2GB SD card that comes with the Pocket Pro, you may need to reformat the 2GB card and try copying the firmware files again.

These are my, off the top of my head, thoughts.
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 07:04 AM   #3
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWeaver View Post
Am I doing something wrong?

When I try to transfer the unzipped v5setup.bin file to the 2G card that came with the Reader I get this message: "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

I get the same message when using my card reader/writer which will transfer books to the card, and I have transferred files to the card through the Reader.

I used WinZip to open the file.
I'm running XP, service pack 3 on a Dell, using the front USB port.
I've also tried to copy the file with Explorer, same message.
Might sound silly, but I would reboot your PC, plug in the memory card and just attempt to copy over a book. If that works, reboot the computer again, plug in the card again then retry copying the .bin file. I have come across a few occasions where Windows wont re-read the fat table of a usb thumb drive and presents an IO error when attempting a file copy...reboot has usually fixed it.

If that doesn't work plug the card reader in to another USB port (preferably one you have plugged it into before if you can) and try again. By plugging it in a new USB port Windows may try and reinstall drivers for the card reader.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
jes1
Zealot
jes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Dell Axim x50v, iPod Touch, nook
It doesn't work using WinZip. You need a RAR extracter, such as RAR Extract Frog. I found it in the CNet free downloads.
jes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jes1 View Post
It doesn't work using WinZip. You need a RAR extracter, such as RAR Extract Frog. I found it in the CNet free downloads.
Good Eye . RAR is not common and Astak still does not get it that users should not have to instal additional software just to un-package the update.

Timeweaver:
Your Dell may have the "Intel" USB2 chipset problem that prevents reliable communication with the PEz when Intel USB2 Enhanced Mode is enabled.

Get your SD Card reader and Update sorted , then worry about the USB.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Au contraire. I'm using WinZip 11.2, and it will open RAR files just fine. I agree that it's foolish of Astak to use RAR format rather than the much more common ZIP format, but WinZip and RAR are not the problem, as that's what I have used multiple times to successfully install these updates.
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
TimeWeaver

I am using the card that came with the Reader.
I can transfer other files to the card.
The card reader/writer works on this and other cards.
I've tried re-booting, etc.
I think I will try to use another program to unzip the file and see if that work.
Thanks.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
TimeWeaver

I'm going to try another card and see if that works.
Thanks, everyone.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:19 PM   #9
jes1
Zealot
jes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Dell Axim x50v, iPod Touch, nook
I guess I should say, it did not work with whatever version of WinZip I tried to use. May need to update it, since I have not done that in quite a long time.
jes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I guess I should say, it did not work with whatever version of WinZip I tried to use. May need to update it, since I have not done that in quite a long time.
Or get 7zip. I use it for RAR files and often for zips as well. I do think Astak should switch to zip.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #11
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
If all you want to do is extract an occaisional rar file, you might try Rarzilla.
Its free, unobtrusive and it works.
(Just a satisfied user.)
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #12
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
If you can extract the file to your computer jard drive, then it's NOT winzip or whatever you are using.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #13
TimeWeaver

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I was able to synch the Reader and transfer files to the internal memory, but not to the supplied memory card. It didn't work in the Pocket Pro or my card reader.
With a new 8GB memory card, the file transferred and the firmware updated no problem.
I still can't write to the memory card supplied by Astak, and yes, it's unlocked but my computer keeps asking to format it. Right now that's the least of my worries, and I'll have enough room on the 8 gig card for a while.
So, problem solved, and thanks again to everyone who replied.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:37 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWeaver View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I was able to synch the Reader and transfer files to the internal memory, but not to the supplied memory card. It didn't work in the Pocket Pro or my card reader.
With a new 8GB memory card, the file transferred and the firmware updated no problem.
I still can't write to the memory card supplied by Astak, and yes, it's unlocked but my computer keeps asking to format it. Right now that's the least of my worries, and I'll have enough room on the 8 gig card for a while.
So, problem solved, and thanks again to everyone who replied.
The first card I received from Astak was corrupted. I was one of the Pre-order group .
I don't know how the "load" the cards, but it might be easy to miss a "Load fail" message
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote