Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-13-2009, 06:55 AM   #1
rocojo
rocojo began at the beginning.

Device: Windows Mobile TyTn 2
Converting to Palm Digital Ereader

I want to convert epub-formatted books to pdb-formatted to read on my windows mobile phone with ereader software. I do lose however all formatting (italic, bold, etc). When i convert it to .lit it works fine. (The micirosoft reader is however not my favorite reader)

Is it possible and if yes, how do I make the right settings.

Tia
rocojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
In preferences go to conversion settings. Go to PDB Output settings. Change the format to eReader. PDB is a container format, think of it being similar to a zip file where you can put an arbitrary number of different file types into it. The default for PDB output is PalmDoc because it has the largest reader comparability. However, as you've found it does not support formatting or images.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
rocojo
rocojo began at the beginning.

Device: Windows Mobile TyTn 2
Thanx.

I will try mobipocket for a change. Converting to mobi worked
rocojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
LeapinLar
LeapinLar began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, ipod touch, Kindle for Android
I too have problems converting to ereader PDB and keeping the formatting intact. I start with a nonDRM mobi. I have the pdb output set to ereader. The images and some formatting comes through, but in particular the italics disappear. I do not have any problem when I go the other direction (original PDB to mobi). All formatting works that way.

I experimented a little by producing an OEB html from the mobi and the resulting html had the italics there. It's just when you go the next step to pdb that the italics disappear.

I really would like to have the pdb with italics intact since at lot of meaning in the reading is lost without them.
LeapinLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:33 AM   #5
LeapinLar
LeapinLar began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, ipod touch, Kindle for Android
rocojo,

I was able to turn in a trouble ticket for calibre and the authors fixed the problem. Starting with version 6.31, there will be italics in ebooks converted to ereader PDB. Thanks guys!
LeapinLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeapinLar View Post
I was able to turn in a trouble ticket for calibre and the authors fixed the problem.
Tickets are the best way to report issues. I had no idea that italics were not showing properly until the ticket was submitted. It was a very simple fix too. It was a typo in the tag map for PML output. I had put I instead of i originally.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote