Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-15-2009, 01:55 AM   #1
Sbilf
Sbilf is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS 700
Metal detector

Hey,

maybe a stupid question... I will make a travel in airplane the next july and this is the "first" flight with my PRS 700.

Could it have some troubles passing the metal detector in airport security gates?

Thank you, Max.
Sbilf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:06 AM   #2
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
I'm used to put my PRS-505 in the hand baggage and never got any problems. I guess metal detectors would give alarm when passing through with a PRS-505 or PRS-700.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2009, 02:54 AM   #3
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
they wont give you trouble. but its not like you cant put it in a basket with your keys, wallet, change. tongue piercing, gun, knife. nipple piercing, Prince Albert, Belt, Zippers, Pants, and your Shoes(while they check them for explosives).
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:07 AM   #4
Sbilf

Thank you mates.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:46 AM   #5
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I've flown twice since I began using my Sony. Both times I just put it into the basket with my other metal. One time... no problem. One time the security drone got upset because I didn't 'declare my computer.' When I tried to explain that it wasn't a computer, he got very upset, insisted that because it had a screen it WAS a computer. Next week I fly again. Another spin of the roulette wheel. These folks are just doing their jobs. No big deal. It's not like trying to carry on a shoulder mounted ground-to-air missle. THAT raises some eyebrows!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2009, 04:14 AM   #6
Sbilf

Awwwwwww Stitchawl!

You wrote: "These folks are just doing their jobs", yes a lot of people do not know this devices and confuse it with a computer.

So do you think is better to declare our eBook readers as a "computer" before passing the gates?
Old 06-15-2009, 04:23 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It IS a computer, so if the rules say that you should specifically declare computers, then yes, you should declare it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:55 AM   #8
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbilf View Post
Awwwwwww Stitchawl!

You wrote: "These folks are just doing their jobs", yes a lot of people do not know this devices and confuse it with a computer.

So do you think is better to declare our eBook readers as a "computer" before passing the gates?
The term 'computer' is too general. Most everything electronic is a 'computer' of some sort these days, be it a PSP, GameBoy, I-Pod, E-book reader, programmable wrist watch, digital camera, etc. The question is; what is THAT PARTICULAR SECURITY GUARD going to call a computer? Unfortunately, there is no answer to that. Every guard at every security gate in every airport of every country is going to interpret the laws differently. Those who have never seen one before will want to look at it. Those who have seen them before probably won't. Personally, I prefer that the security guards err on the side of caution. After all, it's my life that's being protected too.

I will continue to put my e-reader into the basket along with my cell phone, watch, cameras, MP3 player, Thumb drive, marbles and yo-yo. If a security guard wants to see it more closely, I'll be happy to show how it works. The last time it took all of 10-15 seconds to do so. I always go through security at least a hour before boarding time anyway, so the extra 15 seconds causes no stress. Now, if they could just protect us from airline food and Muzak we could all breath easier!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #9
Sbilf

Ahahhhaaaa! Cool, Stitchawl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I will continue to put my e-reader into the basket along with my cell phone, watch, cameras, MP3 player, Thumb drive, marbles and yo-yo.
Stitchawl
I'll do the same.

ciao, Max.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It IS a computer, so if the rules say that you should specifically declare computers, then yes, you should declare it.
But that is not the rule as I understand it. The rule is sometimes that laptop should be placed separetely. And sometimes the rule is that it should not. And often they do not inform you about what the current rule is.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:59 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
But that is not the rule as I understand it. The rule is sometimes that laptop should be placed separetely. And sometimes the rule is that it should not. And often they do not inform you about what the current rule is.
That is why I said "if the rule...". I'm sure that different airports handle these things differently.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:04 PM   #12
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
As i already said i never got a problem with the PRS-505 inside the hand baggage. From time to time a guard want to see it after scanning the baggage and then i've to unpack it and turn it on (like you have to do with laptops). It was never a big deal...
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:08 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've always taken my devices through as hand-baggage too, and just sent them through with my carry-on bag. Never been queried about it.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #14
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
As others have stated, simply put it in the basket along with your other electronics, i.e. laptop and/or camera. When I was in Graneda a few months ago, I forgot that I had my 505 in a pocket of my cargo shorts. So naturally when going through the metal detector, the bells & whistles went off. So natch I had to apologize to the cop standing there & he let me on through back to my ship.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:20 PM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That is why I said "if the rule...". I'm sure that different airports handle these things differently.
My point was that it often is impossible to know what the rule is since they will not tell you. So you comment about always following the rule was not relevant.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote