Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Nook Color version update "Biggest ever"

The Washington Post is reporting an update to the Nook Color that will include Netflix, comics, landscape reading and many other improvements. The update is being distributed by Wifi and through sideloading. The report is located here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...wpisrc=nl_tech
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
And it appears to be available for download: 202 megabytes.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Download instructions are available here:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Soft...olor/379003190
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I downloaded it and copied it to my Nook. It is just ignoring it. I tried different sleep times - leave it on for 15 min, tried 2 minutes, etc. I just ignores it.

I did this type of update successfully with Color 1.3 (and also 1.2, if I remember), and several times with my Classic and Touch and never had this happen. Every other time I've done this, the device notices the file's presence in about 2 minutes and starts the update.

I guess I'll try downloading it again and copying it again, but the zip file looks OK on my PC (i.e. it isn't corrupted or anything).

Downloaded it again and erased it from Nook and recopied it. Still being ignored.

Last edited by RAH; 12-12-2011 at 06:46 PM.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
sjkevin
Connoisseur
sjkevin is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Downloaded it again and erased it from Nook and recopied it. Still being ignored.
I've had this problem with updates in the past. I'm not sure what the cause was. (Maybe B&N signed the firmware incorrectly, or something like that.)

I eventually just gave up, and then a few days later, I noticed it had updated itself automatically over the air.
sjkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, looks like that's all I can do. Thanks for letting me know it eventually got itself straightened out.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
leonardfrye
Enthusiast
leonardfrye began at the beginning.

Device: KindlePW
Two good fixes I noticed:

1) Landscape mode for sideloaded content.
2) Multilevel table of contents.
leonardfrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #8
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Downloaded, sideloaded & installed with no problems. However, after the update I have trouble checking for app updates, shopping & using apps that access the wifi, the browser being an exception. It does seem to be improving with the passsage of a little time.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
Drumm
Enthusiast
Drumm began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color(CM10), NookTouch & Meadiacom 850i
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardfrye View Post

Yeah, okay, so they are starting to bring their software up closer to what my rooted Nook Color has? I can't see 202 MB for this, unless they overwrote the whole rom. It's still froyo, and I suspect they mostly added access to services on the Nook Tablet.

Doesn't sound like any major improvements other than a little quicker. I rooted and installed a much beter video player and 2 different reader apps, both are much better than the stock one but I like Moon for some things and Alkido for others.
Drumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
There's been quite a few reports in B&N's forums about NCs ignoring manual updates, so you're not alone. Some have reported that trying again works, some haven't.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardfrye View Post

Thanks! I haven't upgraded yet. Waiting to see what people have to say. These are items that I am interested in. I also read a post in the B&N support forum that said you can now delete books on the device which was another complaint that I had.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #12
librarianchat
librarianchat began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
How long do they usually take to update automatically?
librarianchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:07 PM   #13
RAH
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
There's been quite a few reports in B&N's forums about NCs ignoring manual updates, so you're not alone. Some have reported that trying again works, some haven't.
That's interesting. Hopefully they'll fix it. I tried twice and no luck, so I'm just waiting to see what happens.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
RAH
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarianchat View Post
How long do they usually take to update automatically?
Sometimes it can take weeks. It's usually so easy to do it manually that there is no good reason to wait, but this time things aren't working, for me anyway.

I think that automatic Color updates may be faster than Touch updates because people more often use WiFi on their Color. I seldom use wifi on my touch and I never got the last update till I installed it manually months after it came out!
Old 12-14-2011, 12:24 AM   #15
lightcap
lightcap began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus,Nexus 7,Nook ST
The manual update did not initially work for me. It worked only after I shut down the NC and restarted it.
lightcap is offline   Reply With Quote