Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #31
Heisenberg
Heisenberg began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Since this is unrelated to the epub->pdf conversion, I suggest you create a new thread either here in the ePub forum or in the Sigil one. Your problem with the images was that there were many references in the css file, just remove the unused styles, or add the images.
Ok, thank you I will do so next week!
It's redicolous, all I wanted to do was exporting a dokuwiki to pdf. If I had known that this will be so complicated I would have given this task to someone else

Thanks & Regards
Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #32
Heisenberg
Heisenberg began at the beginning.

Quote:
Since this is unrelated to the epub->pdf conversion, I suggest you create a new thread either here in the ePub forum or in the Sigil one. Your problem with the images was that there were many references in the css file, just remove the unused styles, or add the images.
Hi there,

I fixed the problem and I wanted to inform you about it
The problem was, that after validating the epub with sigil, sigil url-encoded the links to the image files! So the links get changed from something like "../Images/privat@images.jpeg" to "../Images/privat%40images.jpeg" which can not be found by prince later...

Thanks for your help, my task is completed
Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:46 AM   #33
Darr247
Darr247 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Works great on linux anyway. Has anyone tried it with Cygwin, though? I have my doubts.
Prince does not show up in Cygwin's package manager... haven't taken the time to try installing it manually, yet.

Actually, I've never tried installing anything into Cygwin without using its manager, so I don't even know if the generic linux gz files will work.
Darr247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #34
PageLab
Connoisseur
PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, iPad, Nook, Kobo, Positivo Alfa
Hi folks,

I'm getting an error message when running the script. It generates a zero KB PDF file. It happened with every ePUB file I tried. I changed file permissions, but it didn't work. I'm on a Mac.

Does anyone have any clue about it? Any help is appreciated. Here's the error message:

Code:
sh epub2pdf.sh test.epub test.pdf
readlink: illegal option -- f
usage: readlink [-n] [file ...]
Cannot read file test.epub
PageLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #35
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Well, evidently your readlink version does not support the -f option.

Anyway, this script has not been updated or even looked at for a very long time. Maybe you could try the GUI version, if you can get python and pyQT for your system.
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #36
PageLab
Connoisseur
PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, iPad, Nook, Kobo, Positivo Alfa
Thanks Jellby, I'll try the GUI version.
PageLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #37
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's a calibre plugin version now!
Old 12-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #38
stevelitt
stevelitt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
There's a calibre plugin version now!
Now all we need is an ePub to LaTeX converter, or an Xhtml to LaTeX converter, both of which need to respect and pass through styles rather than trying to render them, and I can write all my books in Xhtml and render them to ePub, PDF or Print.

SteveT
stevelitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #39
pressmatters
pressmatters began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
How do you even load an epub to convert in the GUI version? I can't for the life of me work out how it works.
pressmatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #40
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Do you mean this version? I'll answer there (where you should have asked).
Old 02-21-2015, 10:32 AM   #41
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Wow, this is great! I was getting more and more frustrated by my Kindle's limited typographic abilities. I started converting some epubs to PDF by using Calibre to convert to RTF from there to LaTeX using rtf2latex – but then I had to do some manual tweaking for every epub. This is so much easier and looks almost as good as LaTeX.

One question though: I added some faint lines at the top and bottom of every page so that my Kindle doesn't do any auto-cropping of white space (which can't be disabled, as far as I can tell). There's always a small margin between the lines and the borders of the page. Do you know how I can get lines at the very top and bottom of the page?

This is how my default.css looks at the moment:
Code:
@font-face {
    font-family: serif;
    src: local("Sirba")
}

@font-face {
    font-family: sans-serif;
    src: local("Lato")
}

@font-face {
    font-family: monospace;
    src: local("Source Code Pro")
}

@page {
  size: 85mm 114mm;
  margin: 2mm 1mm 2mm 1mm !important;
  border-width: 0.1px;
  border-color:rgb(240,240,240);
  border-top-style:solid;
  border-bottom-style:solid;
}

body {
  font-size: 10pt !important;
  font-family: serif;
  text-align: justify;
  hyphens: auto;
  prince-hyphenate-lines:3;
  prince-image-resolution: 166dpi;
  orphans: 1;
  widows: 1;
  line-height: 1.4em;
  word-spacing: 0.5pt;
}

h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {
  hyphens: none;
}

:lang(it), :lang(es) {
  hyphenate-before: 3;
  hyphenate-after: 3;
}
EDIT: Nevermind. I found out that by reducing border-width to 0.01px the lines are as good as invisible on the Kindle. And that's what I wanted.

Last edited by IceHand; 02-21-2015 at 10:45 AM.
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:49 AM   #42
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

I'd guess that's because of the margin, the margin goes outside the border, for spacing inside the border you'd have to use padding. Try:

Code:
@page {
  size: 85mm 114mm;
  margin: 0 1mm 0 1mm !important;
  border-width: 0.1px;
  border-color:rgb(240,240,240);
  padding-top: 2mm;
  border-top-style:solid;
  padding-bottom: 2mm;
  border-bottom-style:solid;
}
Old 02-21-2015, 10:54 AM   #43
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Thank you, Jellby, that works perfectly! I also found out that by reducing border-width to 0.01px the lines are as good as invisible on the Kindle while still preventing the auto-crop.
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:37 AM   #44
Flashwalker
Flashwalker began at the beginning.

Device: bla
Lightbulb Hi there

Helllo from Russia! Nice work . I was used ebook-convert, but it's very slooow and little bugy. Then i wrote a simple bashscript, but script wasn't smart enough without xml parsing. Until i found your script.

Prince is good, nice ability to adapt file for e-read-devices, but needs to remove logo manually (I'm using "Master PDF Editor" http://code-industry.net).

So, i wrote a modification based on your bash script (for my humble printing needs). It uses Fuse-zip (apt-get install fuse-zip) and WkHTMLtoPDF (wk means WebKit http://wkhtmltopdf.org) instead of Unzip and Prince. Fuse-zip mounting a little faster then unzip unpacking and WkHTMLtoPDF have no watermark and it's opensource. But WkHTMLtoPDF have no options for metadata, like in Prince (but i found in your script it doesn't used), and output pdf file size some times a little bigger (may be fonts). To test WkHTMLtoPDF you can try firefox addon "Print pages to PDF", which based on it.

And one sad thing: WkHTMLtoPDF can't print svg cover (cover image in epub usually wrapped in svg tag).
But! I maid a workaround in script (unwrap svg image tag to img tag), and it works, cover prints, but not upscaled to page size.

Here is the script: epub2pdfwk.sh and a little custom style.css.

Dependencies: (in addition to xmlstarlet and optional(for metadata) pdftk and recode):
fuse-zip, wkhtmltopdf, sed.
Options: are same plus 3 additionals:
-n means not load default.css. (Using both -n -S equivalent to use only -s).
-d means don't print cover.
-o accepts wkhtmltopdf options (-o "--grayscale --quiet --page-size A5" Or -o "-gqs A5" Or -o "--page-width 800px --page-height 600px" Or -o "--header-font-name 'Liberation Sans' --footer-font-name 'Liberation Sans'" ...) (By default WkHTMLtoPDF prints to A4 size format).

Already specified WkHTMLtoPDF options can be edited in "WKHTMLTOPDF OPTIONS SETTINGS" section of script in set_wkh2popts() function. They are self explained.

And a little fix and improvement of your epub2pdf.sh: epub2pdf.sh

Cheers!

Just outline how script works:
Code:
## Mount epub archive:
	#mkdir "$HOME"/.ZIP
	# umount before mount
	fusermount -uz "$HOME"/.ZIP
	fuse-zip -r "file.epub" "$HOME"/.ZIP -o modules=iconv,from_code=CP866,to_code=UTF8
(iconv here can fix ugly cyrillic filenames in nasty winziped archives)
## Convert html files to pdf
	wkhtmltopdf OEBPS/article0.xhtml ... OEBPS/article100.xhtml wkhtmltopdfoutput.pdf
## or:
	wkhtmltopdf -l --image-dpi 144 --image-quality 90 -T 5 -R 2 -B 5 -L 2 --user-style-sheet "${HOME}/bin/style.css" cover OEBPS/cover.xhtml OEBPS/article0.xhtml ... OEBPS/article100.xhtml ~/Documents/wkhtmltopdfoutput.pdf
## or even:
	wkhtmltopdf --lowquality --image-dpi 144 --image-quality 90 -T 5 -R 2 -B 5 -L 2 --user-style-sheet "${HOME}/bin/style.css" --page-size A5 -O Landscape --load-error-handling ignore --load-media-error-handling ignore --javascript-delay 2500 --header-left '[title]' --header-right '[date]' --header-font-name 'WenQuanYi Micro Hei' --header-font-size 8 --header-line --footer-left '[webpage]' --footer-right '[page] / [topage]' --footer-font-name 'WenQuanYi Micro Hei' --footer-font-size 8 --footer-line --custom-header 'User-Agent' 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/25.0' --custom-header-propagation cover OEBPS/cover.xhtml OEBPS/article0.xhtml ... OEBPS/article100.xhtml ~/Documents/wkhtmltopdfoutput.pdf

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-09-2015 at 05:45 AM. Reason: removed shortened URLs
Flashwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:21 PM   #45
Flashwalker
Flashwalker began at the beginning.

Device: bla
Lightbulb

Script also posted on http://notablog.tk/epub2pdfwk-epub-v...z-wkhtmltopdf/.
Flashwalker is offline   Reply With Quote