Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-31-2013, 06:10 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Sony's PRS-T3, more leaked specs, to debut at IFA on September 4

The buzz is now too loud to ignore. Sony is most likely going to unveil their upcoming PRS-T3 e-book reader in Berlin on September 4, two days ahead of the official opening of the IFA conference. This suggests that our earlier estimated release date of September 19 could be pretty close.

Meanwhile, we've received some more specs (in bold), in addition to what's been leaked before:
  • 6-inch E Ink screen with "Clear Touch" IR, 1024x758, 16 grey levels
  • WLAN (802.11b/g/n)
  • RAM: 2 GB, expandable to up to 32 GB (microSD)
  • 8 font sizes, 6 different fonts
  • Fast-charging battery (three minutes), not sure for how much of a charge
  • Browser included (said to be unblocked, so we assume any website can be visited)
  • Direct shop access via browser and WiFi
  • Support for PDF text reflow
  • Support for Evernote Clearly und Facebook API
  • 15 dictionaries included (English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch)
  • Support for word lookups via Wikipedia and Google
  • Full-text search, marking and annotation features
  • Three non-free e-books included
  • Supported file formats: EPUB (with and without DRM), PDF (with and without DRM), TXT, JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP
  • Cover with automatic start/sleep function, integrated into the device
  • Optional: Cover with integrated light
  • Dimensions: 160x109x11.3mm
  • Weight: 200g
  • Available in the colors black (PRST3BC), red (PRST3RC), and white (PRST3WC)

Thanks to Mobilereader dieterpops for the heads-up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sonyprst3.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	110264  

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 08-31-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:07 AM   #2
alvina
Connoisseur
alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Charging in three minutes would be awesome. How is that possible? And I think the red and white Reader won't be glossy anymore as far as I can tell from these pictures.
alvina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:14 AM   #3
lems1995
Zealot
lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: sony prs-t2,prs-t3, onyx boox n96ml, maxcarta, Likebook Note+Mimas
what version of epub?, features are like prs-t2!
lems1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Quote:
RAM: 2 GB, expandable to up to 32 GB (microSD)
Where can i get some microSD-RAM? Really nice.. and are there two slots? For RAM and normal micro-SD-Flash-Memory-Cards? *lol*

Quote:
PDF (with and without DRM)
And the most common DRM for PDF - Adobe LiveCycle - is not supported, as always... (there is even no support for Android or iOS).

Last edited by samy2; 08-31-2013 at 07:40 AM.
samy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Higher resolution is nice, but no change in the fonts?
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
At least this cinches it. After the last leak, I didn't think it would include a front light. Good luck Sony. It's been a long ride, but I will be getting off the train.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
It's a shame Sony didn't incorporate a front light that could be turned "off" and offer (or include) a cover with integrated light as well. That might have made both sides of the aisle happy.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #8
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Unless it's bargain-priced, I honestly don't see the point of this device. No front light, infrared touch screen, and the same resolution as just about every other 6" reader.
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I remember when Sony readers had all the latest tech, and premium features as well. They were I think the first, with touch, dual memory cards, it was competitive with everyone else. Now they are solidly behind the curve, and still charging a premium.

Internal memory is unchanged since the PRS-650, sure the screen is better now, but everyone else is using the same screen too. I am not even sure that the OS is much improved, I think for Sony the switch to android actually took them a step backwards in some ways.

Light, something that's built into the premium models from pretty much everyone else, that's an extra $50 and in a cover. Maybe finally a cover that pulls power from the reader, but who knows yet.

Same format support as before as well. This is an "also-ran" at best, it's a minor refresh, at what is sure to be a premium cost, that's been getting harder and harder to justify.

It's a shame too, I've been with Sony since the PRS-500. I've had every device through the T1. Well I returned the 700 and 600 readers within a week or two of purchase, and stuck with the 505 until 650 came out, but at least with those Sony tried. It doesn't seem to be doing that anymore.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
It will include a case in the price, but the lighted cover is optional and will cost more. Other e-readers include a light these days. To remain relevant to the market, Sony must include some form of light (on the screen or in the case) in the price. They have failed to do so.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
It will include a case in the price, but the lighted cover is optional and will cost more.
The extra cover+light will be sold for EUR 50 in Europe.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lems1995 View Post
what version of epub?, features are like prs-t2!
I don't see anything new, either.

Aside from the screen this is the same ereader in a new shell. Or did I miss something?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:13 PM   #13
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
Wow. Post after post in a couple of these threads knocking the T3 that no one has seen yet. Gotta have front light or else. Gotta have every possible new gimmick or else. Gotta have all that AND a bargain price or goodbye Sony. Very tiresome.

I guess I'm getting old and cranky.

As for me, I love my 350. Turn it on. Turn on a light in the room. Read. Gee, just like reading a book.

I prefer a 5" screen. More accurately, I prefer the overall size and weight of a 5" reader like the 350 so I can hold it easily or stick it in a pocket. The T3 looks interesting because it appears to approach the overall size of the 350 + cover. Now if the T3 size and weight specs include the integrated cover, that might be awesome. A 6" reader not much larger than the 350.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #14
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I hardly think having a front light is a gimmick. And things like using two fingers as a slider to control the light (if it had one) is hardly a gimmick either. Most of these options are very useful. Now if people were complaining because the new Sony didn't come with a "Reading Life" mode then I could see your point but as far as I'm aware no one has.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:24 AM   #15
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
That's it for me as well my next reader will be a Kobo, despite claims to the contrary I've actually found the T1 firmware far buggier and less useful than the basic Kobo Mini and that was the same price as the T1 cover.

Time for an Aura HD I think.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote