Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Tiny glowing speck on screen

I just noticed this today. I know a few people have mentioned having this problem on kindle boards so I thought I'd really give my screen a thorough look over before the 30 days is up to see if I had anything like it. Ha, bad idea.

At first I saw nothing at all, but then happen to come across it tonight. I had the light on high and reset my kindle and saw it on the start up tree screen in the dark area. I'd have probably never noticed it, but as it was starting I scanned the screen again. I can really only see it when the light is on high, say 20 or above, and it's very tiny. I don't see it when reading at all, but when I turn the page and have the light up high sometimes I'll notice it now because I know where it is.

My screen is fine otherwise so I'm not sure 100% sure I'll exchange it, but it again goes to show how bad the quality control is on these. Anyone else notice this on theirs? Although I wouldn't suggest looking too hard. LOL.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Mine don't seem to have that, and I'll try not to look too hard. I've read some who claim it is caused by a speck of dust on one of the substrates, but I don't have any idea whether that is correct. Gross thought, maybe the person who was assembling it sneezed!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:07 AM   #3
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I somehow wouldn't be surprised. Maybe I'll try for an exchange. Although between the glowing specks, the uneven lighting, and the mysterious pink and blue blotches (and waiting to see if they go away ) it could be the never ending kindle exchange.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Raise your PW light levels to the 22 (default) out of the 24 possible and lots of those "defects" will be drowned out by the light.

Reducing the PW light to a very low level appears to make all the warts stand out. Evidently, these multiple layer, inward lighted screens need the higher light levels to work properly.

I have a hunch that the Amazon promotional photos were all made with the PW light at the highest 24 level. They were never really built to be viewed at low light levels with highly focused high level camera lenses.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-08-2012 at 09:33 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Thank you for the suggestion, sirmaru. For me, when I have the light up high, it becomes more noticeable, although it's mainly only when I turn a page that I see it or if there's a black cover on my home page. I do also keep page refresh on all the time, but because I know where it is it becomes more noticeable to me now.

I noticed it because a few others mentioned having them so I scanned my screen thoroughly to check mine and I caught it. It's pretty minor, not as big as the speck another user on here posted, but I may ask for an exchange anyway as it really shouldn't be there.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

I pulled up the User Manual last night to go through it for the 3rd or 4th time just to see if I had missed anything. I paged back to the cover which is that black tree with a person under it reading, like the Start Up screen. I held my breath when I realized that much of my screen was now black and tried not to look. But it is like that old Bill Cosby routine about the overwhelming urge we humans have to turn around to see what it is that is about to eat us alive, the urge to turn and look at the monster rather than run. So like a deer caught in the headlights of an oncoming car I had to stare at the screen. Thankfully I didn't see any glowing specks!

As far as using light level 20 or above, I don't know about other people but on mine if I crank it up that high it looks like that long bright tunnel with dead relatives at the other end. Well, dead authors anyway. During nighttime power failures I plan to lay my PW flat on a table and use it at level 24 to illuminate the room! Yeah, it is that bright.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

LOL Jack.

It's takes a brave man to to scrutinize the start up tree screen for specks. I'm so glad you don't have any. It's pretty awful when you see something wrong, especially considering my screen is fine otherwise. I did a no no nooooo. Afterward I tried a bunch of things that I knew wouldn't change anything, but that you're compelled to try anyway. Microfiber cloth, restart, leaving it alone for awhile and then looking at it again and hoping it mysteriously disappeared.

So I ended up calling Amazon a little while ago and a replacement is on the way. I considered living with it, but then I thought, why should I? And of course once you see it you can't un-see it.

They said my replacement will be here on the 10th, so pretty quick. I may need a shot of vodka before I turn it on and check it over.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Lordy. I opened up my (going to be replaced due to clouds/splotches) unit, and tried to think of a good test. I have a bunch of cookbooks with photos (I usually read these with the kindle app on my ipad, don't get me wrong), so I loaded one up to see if I had any light spots.

No, but on page illustrations (photos), in the darker areas of the image I can clearly see (clear enough to read) the ghosted/inverted image of whatever text was on the previously-rendered page. This is with Page Refresh on. I'm pretty sure my KK didn't do this, the few times I looked through a cookbook or other book with photos, but now I'll have to check when I get home. (Sorry if this is sort of a thread derailment--but would anyone else like to check a book with photos (or possibly just the cover image) and tell me if the same thing happens?)
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #9
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

TD - I tried it starting at the cover of a couple of books and at most I see maybe a very faint line where the edge of the book cover was and maybe a very faint hint of a few bits of the cover, but nothing really obvious. I have to really look to see it. I'll be curious what others say.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
TD - I tried it starting at the cover of a couple of books and at most I see maybe a very faint line where the edge of the book cover was and maybe a very faint hint of a few bits of the cover, but nothing really obvious. I have to really look to see it. I'll be curious what others say.
Hopefully I just got an all-around effed-up early unit. Replacement arrives tomorrow.

Attempting to attach a picture. The text with '1 cup...' etc is not supposed to be part of that photo, it's from the previously-rendered page. And I double-doublechecked that Page Refresh is ON.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).JPG
Views:	270
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	93662  
Old 10-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Yikes, that is quite bad, mine is nothing like that. That shouldn't happen with page refresh on. I really don't think your new one will be like that. Let us know how it is when it arrives!
Old 10-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

TD the first one I had was really bad at ghosting anytime I had a popup window or image display. I also had really bad and uneven text rendering on it.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #13
Trauma Doll
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
TD the first one I had was really bad at ghosting anytime I had a popup window or image display. I also had really bad and uneven text rendering on it.
Ah, I remember you mentioning (and showing) the differently-weighted text, but I must have skimmed over the ghosting stuff. It wasn't noticeable (and the every-page refresh seems fine) until I loaded an image.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #14
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Your replacement was almost as bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
You posted a picture of your replacement as well. It looked REAL BAD to me. The screen was way off white and the blotches on the bottom were HUGE and DARK.

If I had your experiences, I'd be done with PW's for good and be ordering a Kindle Fire HD 7" 32 Gb. I ordered one of those myself to add to my PW.

There are simply too many complaints on this forum about the PW screen. Something is wrong somewhere.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
All these problems. I don't remember any Kindle having so much fuss. I am at the point where I am going to wait for the next model and see if the problems get fixed. I was looking forward to this like everyone else but I just don't want to play let's get a good one! again.

I will pick up a 7" KFHD 16GB instead. I use my KF nightly so a better screen will work for me. I can read long periods on it as long as I have the screen dim app active.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote