Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2021, 03:54 PM   #1
cherryscones
cherryscones began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Bizarre page counts

I tried searching the forum for this but I just got a lot of slightly different page count issues. So apologies if this is a repeat...

Recently when uploading some epubs (epub3), I've been getting some really weird page counts on my Kobo.

For example, a normal length book has a page count of 3000 when with my usual font size I'd expect around 400-500, with the page count jumping several hundred pages when going from the last page of chapter 1 to chapter 2.
The chapter itself then may be 150 pages long (at least that's the count at the top), but when flipping through those 100+ pages the count at the bottom will only increase by 6 pages.
Now this is only a minor annoyance and I don't expect the page counts to reflect printed books or anything, but I do like knowing roughly how far along I am through a book. And this isn't doing it.

Does anyone know what's causing this? How can I fix it?
cherryscones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:29 PM   #2
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Are these books you're uploading all from the same source? Adobe page numbers are based on the size of the html files inside the book, (so variances are more due to the way the html is coded.).. either the books you're reading have a significant amount of hidden junk at the end of each file, or there is something about them triggering a bug.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2021, 12:19 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
While there are some problems with page numbering, as @rashkae, it is most likely a problem with the book. My guess is that the ToC has some issues. As it is an epub 3, that could be the nav document or the NCX, depending on which it has.

You don't say what format it is on the device, but, the mention of font size and an expected page count, implies kepub. But, other things imply epub. Which format on the device is important as the errors in the book have different effects on the device.

I would start by checking the book for errors. I do that with the calibre editor and running the error check. Sigil has something similar. Fixing any errors found, might fix the problems on the device. Alternatively, doing an epub-to-epub conversion in calibre can fix a lot problems.

Other than that, we would need to see the book. If it is legally available somewhere, post a link and we can look at it. Even a preview can help to understand what is happening. Or the ScrambleEbook plugin in calibre can produce a version that can be posted here.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote