Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-09-2021, 05:45 AM   #1
moriatenori
moriatenori began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note 2
Question Looking for tips for using calibre with annotated PDFs

Hello,

I have my collection of ebooks (mostly epubs) in Calibre but also an extensive collection of PDFs that I would like to add to my Calibre library. I do a lot of annotations on the PDFs with my ebook reader and I like to keep the original files untouched. I simply rename the file after reading it and then send it back to my PC via my cloud drive app. It's pretty straightforward, but I would prefer to have my PDFs catalogued in Calibre, among other things, to avoid buying books twice.

I have read a couple of threads (here and here) with tips on how to import annotated pdfs back to Calibre, but they both sound time consuming.

In the absence of an automated solution, perhaps other users have better ways of handling this process and would like to share them?

Thanks!

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-14-2021 at 01:13 AM.
moriatenori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:45 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Add the annotated version to the existing book as <whatever>.ANNOT-PDF and tell your OS to open .ANNOT_PDFs with your PDF Viewer.

Or, keep the original and annotated versions in a separate libraries and use the The calibre:// URL scheme to link the books in the Originals library to the same book in the Annotated library (and perhaps vice versa).

I use the latter because I sometimes have multiple versions - annotated, translated, illustrated.

The calibre:// URL Scheme is a recently added enhancement.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2021, 10:36 PM   #3
moriatenori

Thanks for your answer!

The option of having separated libraries for the originals and the annotated PDFs sounds good, however, I'm not sure how to use the calibre:// URL Scheme to link them, Calibre's manual isn't explicit on this point.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:31 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is no proscriptive way to how and where one might use the links. But…

Create 2 libraries, Annotated and Originals

In the Annotated library add a column called original/Original Book.

Click image for larger version

Name:	original_column.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	189178

In the Original library add a column called annotated/Annotated Book.

Name:	annotated_column.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	189179

Add a book to Originals and copy its show Book link to clipboard

Name:	add original.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	189180

Copy the book to the Annotated library

Name:	copy to annotated.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	189181

Go to Annotated library and put the link in the Original Column

Name:	link to original.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	189182

Now you might want to copy the link to the Annotated PDF, flick back to the Original by clicking the Original link in Book details and put the PDF link into that into its Annotations column

I've requested your PM be enabled so I can send you a PM with a link to the two libraries

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-10-2021 at 01:36 AM.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:26 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
. . .
I've requested your PM be enabled so I can send you a PM with a link to the two libraries
Done

BR
Advert
Old 09-10-2021, 07:24 AM   #6
moriatenori

Fantastic, thank you so much for this detailed explanation, very helpful!
Old 09-13-2021, 09:27 AM   #7
moriatenori

I have another question. Now that I keep the original and the annotated documents in different libraries, how can I tell Calibre companion to replace the file in the annotated library of my PC with the PDF file that I have annotated on my reader?
Old 09-14-2021, 01:13 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

I don't use Calibre Companion, but I don't think it can write a format file back to a calibre library.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:07 AM   #9
moriatenori

And how about connecting Calibre to the reader via usb?
Old 09-15-2021, 05:41 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

I would use a file manager (e.g. Windows Explorer) to copy the annotated PDF from my phone/tablet to my desktop, and then replace the existing PDF by DnD it into relevant book details panel, or via the Add books->Add files to selected record from clipboard … option. Calibre will pop message to confirm you want to replace the existing PDF.

That's how I handle audio/video clips that I edit on my 'media editing workbench'.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-15-2021 at 06:10 AM.
Old 11-17-2022, 02:07 AM   #11
moriatenori

Hi, after a year using the solution suggested by BetterRed, I recently figured out a simpler way of keeping a copy of the original pdf alongside with the annotated version. I simply change the name of the original file on windows explorer (adding a mark to indicate that it is the original) and copy into the same folder the annotated pdf from my reader with the filename that Calibre recognizes as the document. When I open the file from Calibre, I get the annotated version, and if I want to get back to the original, I simply have to open the folder via Calibre. No need to have a duplicate library of originals, which I ended up finding a little bit cumbersome, even if it is a "cleaner" solution.
However, I noticed that when updating the metadata of a book, Calibre also modifies the filename, and also deletes any backup files within the folder. Is there a way to stop Calibre doing this? Otherwise my method becomes too risky...-
Of course, any other ideas on how to keep a copy the original pdf in the simplest possible way will be welcome!
Old 11-17-2022, 02:14 AM   #12
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Yeah, no, that's intended. Treat the Calibre library as a blackbox.

Personally, I'd just change the file extensions of the non-annotated version to .origpdf, then use Windows Open With to assign that to your PDF viewer. Assuming it isn't a badly-programmed one that checks the extension instead of the header, it should open. Then you'll be able to add it as a separate file.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 02:31 AM   #13
moriatenori

I just tried, but Calibre will still delete the .origpdf file when updating the metadata. So another solution would be to keep a separate backup folder with all the non-annotated pdfs, and look manually for them if needed.
Old 11-17-2022, 03:13 AM   #14
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriatenori View Post
I just tried, but Calibre will still delete the .origpdf file when updating the metadata. So another solution would be to keep a separate backup folder with all the non-annotated pdfs, and look manually for them if needed.
You missed my last sentence: Add it to the book record and it won't delete.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 03:19 AM   #15
moriatenori

Sorry, I missed the last point. Yes, it works, thanks!