Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
pops1959
pops1959 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Using Calibre with different devices?

My wife and I both have rooted Nook Colors and have been using Calibre to side load our books quite nicely. My wife will be receiving a Kindle (a 3 I think) and I am curious to know how to handle this situation? Obviously we will continue to use Calibre for our Nooks, but can we also use it for the Kindle since it is set up for the Nooks?
pops1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops1959 View Post
My wife and I both have rooted Nook Colors and have been using Calibre to side load our books quite nicely. My wife will be receiving a Kindle (a 3 I think) and I am curious to know how to handle this situation? Obviously we will continue to use Calibre for our Nooks, but can we also use it for the Kindle since it is set up for the Nooks?
The device setting, mainly applies to News and Comics (sets screen size for conversion).
Why not just try it withe the K3? and see what it looks like.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can use it for the Kindle as well, however conversion will not be optimized for the Kindle, unless you set the output profile in the calibre conversion settings to Kindle. This may or may not matter to you, try it and see.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:16 AM   #4
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Kovid, I am just thinking a little bit around this. More and more families, peoples become to have more than one device at home. May be it makes sense to have something like a combined device detection and a preferred device output format table in the preferences set-up for user with more than one device. The function itself is already in place but only for one device. May be this is something for an enhancement sometime in the future?
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The problem isn't having settings for more than one device. The problem is a given conversion can use only the settings for a given output profile. For most people this should not really be a problem. The output profile mainly regulates the scaling of images. Simply plugin in multiple devices at differnt times and calirbe will transparently send your files over.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I forgot this (after i had done that long time ago). It's in the device set-up. Thanks
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
It happens you forget... You´re human

Here, three devices are synced to the same Calibre: A Nook Color (1st ed), a Papyre 6.2 (AKA Bq Avant) and a Sony PRS T1. Each is synced to different things, for instance magazines in color to the Nook, sci fi books to the T1, and tech books to the Papyre. I use the tags to know what content goes where, and sometimes one book can go to two devices at once. Edit your tags wisely.
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote