Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
liminal
liminal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle SO
The Kindle with Speical Offers for Ireland

I posted this in an already existing thread but maybe it needs its own.

I'm from Ireland and going to the US next week. I was going to buy the Kindle with 3G from the US online store (the only way to buy a Kindle in Ireland), but I had a look at the BestBuy website and came across the Special Offers Kindle. It looks like a great deal, especially if the offers continue to be worthwhile.

If I buy an SO Kindle in the US, would it still function properly once I brought it home to Ireland?
liminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
liminal

Just got this from Amazon Customer Care. It'll be fine it seems.

Hello,

Yes, you can purchase the Kindle with Special offer from retail store in U.S and you can use the Kindle in Ireland without any problem.

However, you won't be eligible to claim the special offers.

We're always looking for new ways to help readers discover Kindle. Selling Kindle in physical stores is a natural extension of that philosophy.

We're selling the same Kindle and Kindle DX available on Amazon.com in retail stores. However, retailers determine their selection and pricing. Please contact the retailer directly if you have questions about Kindle pricing and availability.

For locations, see our Help page:

www.amazon.com/help/kindle/retail

You can also learn more about all available Kindle models on our product detail pages:

Kindle Wi-Fi: www.amazon.com/kindlewifi
Kindle with Special Offers: www.amazon.com/kindlespecialoffers
Kindle Free 3G + Wi-Fi: www.amazon.com/kindle3G
Kindle DX: www.amazon.com/kindleDX

Thanks for your interest in Kindle.
Advert
Old 07-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
liminal

Great forum you have here guys, been looking through it quite a bit. Hope to be an active user once I get my Kindle!
Old 07-25-2011, 05:16 AM   #4
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Liminal, you did the right thing. The $114 K3 wi-fi is a brilliant device (though of course you won't be able to buy a book if stuck on a train between Trenton and New York City, or perhaps I should say between Cork and Dublin). You can probably even fake up a US address and shop the US store without paying a foreign surcharge. I have no problem whatever in using my desktop computer and wi fi router as a link to Amazon.
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:59 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
It is pretty easy to fool the system so you can buy books from Amazon US. I have no idea how well that would work for claiming the offers on the Special Offers unit.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I will be going to Peru on vacation, I would immagine that my K3 would not be able to function in Peru expecially not in Maca Picachu. I guess I will need to download all the books that I could read before I go.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Not necessarily. Machu Picachu is a popular tourist location. I am guessing that they have decent WiFi if not 3G connectivity there.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Unhappy O gosh, what horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I will be going to Peru on vacation, I would immagine that my K3 would not be able to function in Peru expecially not in Maca Picachu. I guess I will need to download all the books that I could read before I go.
Oh lordy, the work involved is desperate to contemplate.

You must of course change your travel plans immediately................
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
andreabc
Zealot
andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (4th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I'm Peruvian so I feel that I have to make this clear.

Maca + Pikachu::

Machu Picchu::

Alright then. If you have 3G, you'll have no problem downloading any book wherever there's a cellphone signal (if not at Machu Picchu then definitely at Aguas Calientes or Cusco) even if there isn't 3G coverage everywhere (3G is available at Lima and Cusco). I imagine that it's likely that your hotel has wifi...
andreabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
My thoughts exactly about the maca root and Picachu. I appreciate the humor.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Need some maca music

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote