Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
frustration about PRS 950

I got a PRS 950 ($199 special price) from BB. After playing with it for 2 days, I am so frustrated with the device and thinking to retun it. I use the device to read scientific papers. The reader has no folder structure. All my >300 papers are displayed according to the so called "title" or "author", which are basically displayed randomly. I could use Calibre to type in the title/author for each paper or classify them into "collections". But that will take me quite a long time to do that. Before I return the 950, I am curious about my fellow readers' feeling about this device. I am sure there are many other 950 users who also use the device to read scientific papers. How do you solve this problem? If you don't care about folder structure, why not just buy Kindle DX? Thanks.
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
PRS+ in the Dev section.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
If you don't want to use calibre, then another option is the Sony Reader Library software. You can create collections and then drag and drop your books into the collections. You can even order the list to be any sequence that you want and not just sort by author or title. It's just like you would create playlists for an iPod in iTunes. You can even setup collections to auto-sync if you want. It shouldn't take that long to setup.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
netboy
Enthusiast
netboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watch

Device: prs-505, prs-950, irex dr800sg
You can add tags to your books to add them as a collection which will act as a folder. You can do this either on the reader itself or through calibre.

For example, books a,b,c just add tag physics and books d,e,f add tag math. THen when you go to the collections tab in the reader there will be two folders called "physics" and "math" with the appropriate books in them.
netboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Ironically, the organization of the library is one of the PRS series' best features. You can do any of the things mentioned here to better organize books.

Rewriting some of the tags and applying the rewrite across entire group selections in Calibre would be a quick way to accomplish this. I personally will be using CFW on my new 950. Waiter, folders for everyone.

If you take your 950 back and get a Kindle DX instead, you're going to be far more frustrated with its file management system. I like a lot of the DX's features, but library organization isn't one of them.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-23-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi all, thanks a lot for the help! After reading your posts, I feel much more confident about PRS 950. Netboy mentioned to add tags to each paper. I can easily use Calibre to do that. After I add the tags, I can export the files from calibre to the SD card. My question is: after I insert the SD card to the Sony reader, how to tell the Sony Reader to creat collections using the tags? I don't like to use the Sony Reader Library because I use Linux and there is no Sony Reader Library for Linux. Thank you!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
barium
Connoisseur
barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: None
First, go to the collections menu and use "new collection" to create the collections you want.

Then go to the books menu, press options, and select the "add to collection" item.

You can also add items to collections from calibre, which may be easier.

Keep in mind that having lots of books on your device can make it less responsive.
barium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj123 View Post
Hi all, thanks a lot for the help! After reading your posts, I feel much more confident about PRS 950. Netboy mentioned to add tags to each paper. I can easily use Calibre to do that. After I add the tags, I can export the files from calibre to the SD card. My question is: after I insert the SD card to the Sony reader, how to tell the Sony Reader to creat collections using the tags? I don't like to use the Sony Reader Library because I use Linux and there is no Sony Reader Library for Linux. Thank you!
If you use Calibre you can make your life very easy:
  1. go to Preferences - Sending books to device. In the box labelled Metadata management set it to Automatic management
  2. go to Preferences - Plugins - Device Interface - Sony - Customize. Then find the box with a long label starting 'Comma separated list of metadata...'. The default is series, tags. Change it to just tags if that's what you'd prefer.
  3. Connect your device to Calibre, let it do its stuff then disconnect. All the Collections should be created and kept in-synch every time you connect.

Note: This option is not compatible with you also trying to create/maintain Collections manually on your Sony.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj123 View Post
It's been my experience that the Sonys read the tags as collections automatically; the reverse, however, is not the case - collections you initiate on the device will not be recognized by Calibre as "tags".
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #10
pj123
Zealot

Hi all, especially to jackie_w, thank you so much for the help! I really appreciate it. The "Automatic management" function is really cool.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Great! I'm glad you found a solution that works for you. The 950 has a lot of features packed into it. I suggest that you browse the user guide for some tips, and keep asking questions here and someone is bound to have a helpful answer.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote