Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
FBReader 0.11 beta

FBReader just released a 0.11 beta. I tried it on my iLiad. 0.11 seems working on iLiad, but compared with 0.10.7, the initial loading of 0.11 took too much time. The package of FBReader will take 4-5mb storage space.
By the release info, I don't see if there are any major improvements in 0.11. Maybe I should stick to 0.10.7 for now.

Last edited by ericshliao; 09-27-2009 at 09:23 PM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:13 AM   #2
romanas
Enthusiast
romanas began at the beginning.

Device: Irex iLiad ebook edition, DR1000s
Changes:

* A support for eReader (Peanut reader) book format has been added.
* Mobipocket support has been improved.
* German localization has been added (many thanks to Rainer Paul).
* An information about books (like title, author name, language, etc.) is now stored in SQLite database files instead of the old books.xml file.
* An interaction with the feedbooks.com online library has been fixed.

Its interesting what means better mobipocket support???

But the biggest improvment that im waitin is table support. Sad, but they are planing it just in 1,0 version.
romanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:48 AM   #3
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanas View Post
Changes:

* A support for eReader (Peanut reader) book format has been added.
* Mobipocket support has been improved.
* German localization has been added (many thanks to Rainer Paul).
* An information about books (like title, author name, language, etc.) is now stored in SQLite database files instead of the old books.xml file.
* An interaction with the feedbooks.com online library has been fixed.

Its interesting what means better mobipocket support???
It means FBReader will be prettier for DR1000 users. (I doubt it's better than the mobipocket reader the iLiad has) I'd rather they improve epub rendering, but that's just my quirk.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
pwarren
Connoisseur
pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Irex Iliad (Dead), EcoReader (Smashed screen), Kobo Touch
FBreader was already way better at rendering mobipocket than the java app that comes with the iLiad. Faster page turning, and vastly wider font and display choice.

The improvements are that it can now render mobipocket books that utilize the huffdic compression mechanism.
pwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

It seems that FBReader does not support all tags defined in mobipocet format. For example, pagebreak. Besides, dictionary lookup is an important feature that I need.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
ericshliao
Guru

This is FBReader0.11.0beta for iLiad using xepdmgr 1.9i for screen refresh.
To install, unpack the attachment to dir "/media/card/programs" and a new dir "fbreader-0.11b" will emerge. The path is mandatory. Execute the application from contentlister.

I think I have put all required libs, such as GTK+2.14, glib, pango, sqlite, libcurl... in the attachment. It will take up about 20mb. In case I miss anything, execute ./run.sh under "/media/card/programs/fbreader-0.11b" in mrxvt to get missing libs and tell me. I will put it here.

The loading of FBReader will took about 3-5 minutes. Be patient. If you can't get it loaded in 10 minutes, there must be something wrong, but maybe I don't know how to solve it.

Nothing in source code is modified. This is just a convenient port for people to try it. I only added a quit icon in toolbar so that I can quit FBReader without resetting iLiad. To quit the program, tap on the triangle on top-right screen, and then a menu will drop down, tap on the white area below "About FBReader". That white area is the icon to quit FBReader.
Attached Files
File Type: rar fbreader-0.11b.rar (6.79 MB, 488 views)

Last edited by ericshliao; 09-28-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
This is FBReader0.11.0beta for iLiad using xepdmgr 1.9i for screen refresh.
To install, unpack the attachment to dir "/media/card/programs" and a new dir "fbreader-0.11b" will emerge. The path is mandatory. Execute the application from contentlister.

I think I have put all required libs, such as GTK+2.14, glib, pango, sqlite, libcurl... in the attachment. It will take up about 20mb. In case I miss anything, execute ./run.sh under "/media/card/programs/fbreader-0.11b" in mrxvt to get missing libs and tell me. I will put it here.

The loading of FBReader will took about 3-5 minutes. Be patient. If you can't get it loaded in 10 minutes, there must be something wrong, but maybe I don't know how to solve it.

Nothing in source code is modified. This is just a convenient port for people to try it. I only added a quit icon in toolbar so that I can quit FBReader without resetting iLiad. To quit the program, tap on the triangle on top-right screen, and then a menu will drop down, tap on the white area below "About FBReader". That white area is the icon to quit FBReader.
It takes 5mins to load every time it's run? (Sorry, never used fbreader before)
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #8
ericshliao
Guru

This is FBreader 0.11.1 beta. To install, unpack the attachment and overwrite 0.11.0. The right-most icon on toolbar is "quit".
Seems a little bit faster than 0.11.0.
Attached Files
File Type: zip fbreader-0.11b.zip (1.77 MB, 431 views)
Old 10-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
pwarren
Connoisseur
pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Fair enough wanting the dictionary, I've never used it, not having purchased a mobipocket dictionary!

Anyways, the first time it loads, it's converting it's xml database of titles, authors and tags to a sqlite database, it should only have to do this once, and after that, will load in a more normal time of about 20 seconds or so.

I've ported the page refresh to the native method, seems to work well I'll post the binaries if there's any interest.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #10
ericshliao
Guru

This is my modified toolbar config files for FBReader. This toolbar will grant additional icons for prev-page, next page, increase font size, decrease font size, toggle-fullscreen, and quit. With these six icons, it should be enough for people to read on iLiad.
FBreader does not have these icon images, so these six icons are all represented in small "x". If you want, you can put image files in share/pixmaps/FBreader with proper names.
To install, unpack the attachment, put the two xml files in share/FBreader/default and overwrite the original xml files.

It seems that the flickering problem does not exist anymore.
Attached Files
File Type: zip toolbar.zip (826 Bytes, 420 views)

Last edited by ericshliao; 10-14-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #11
ericshliao
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwarren View Post
Anyways, the first time it loads, it's converting it's xml database of titles, authors and tags to a sqlite database, it should only have to do this once, and after that, will load in a more normal time of about 20 seconds or so.
It seems that your porting is better. I always get waiting time much longer than 30 secs.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:17 PM   #12
pwarren
Connoisseur

hrm, my timing was a bit of a guess, I'll get a stopwatch....

22 seconds from selecting an epub in the content lister to FBReader displaying the page, down to 15 seconds if it is loading a page with little text on it.

I've noticed that font size seems to have an effect on page load times, the last page in a chapter, with less lines takes a fair amount less time to load than a page dense with text.

Anyways, attached should be a zip file with FBReader 0.11.1 with my patches. Unpack to /media/cf/Programs

Disclaimer: It works for me, might not for you etc.
Attached Files
File Type: zip fbreader-0.11.1.zip (3.55 MB, 416 views)
Old 10-15-2009, 01:01 AM   #13
ericshliao
Guru

Pwarren, do you modify your registry.xml for this FBReader?

I also get about 20 secs waiting time for FBReader 0.10.7 (with registry.xml modified). So, I guess that 0.11.1 on my iLiad took so much time loading is caused by registry.xml not modified.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:02 AM   #14
pwarren
Connoisseur

That's correct, my registry.xml is modified to use fbreader for most things, and I was timing how long it took to open an epub via that method.