Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Kindle Fire HDX Tips & Tricks

I've been ask to start a thread where we can post tips and tricks for the HDX.

How To Sideload books on the HDX

It's really easy!

Download the book to the books folder on your HDX.
Do not put it in a one of the sub folders
It will immediately shows up in your Books tab.
No need to restart anymore!

AZW3 works the best. Mobi will work but there is no Table of Contents.
As of Firmware update 13.3.0.5 Mobi books now show a Table of Contents.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-31-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

X-Ray: Lyrics

HDX now has X-Ray for music!

To use this you must select a song that has the words [+lyrics] in the title.
Once you do that the lyrics will appear on the screen and highlight as they are sung.

You can expand the lyrics window by touching on the double lines icon = or where is says X-Ray lyrics.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I just turned Airplane Mode on for my PW 2012, PW 2013, HD 2012 and HD 2013. I will only turn it off for specific syncing before and after a reading session. I'll leave it on during the session to minimize button presses. That should save lots of power.

Also, I'm leaving Location Based Services off for both the HD 2012 and HD 2013. On occasion that item draws unneeded power in large amounts. That function is really only used by Amazon and App producers to gather geographic data on how their software use is distributed.

When expecting a firmware upgrade (reading about it in this Forum), then leave Airplane Mode off all the time until the upgrade is installed.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

How to Take a Screenshot on Your Kindle Fire HDX

Hold Power + Volume buttons down for a second till your hear a camera shutter click sound and see the snapshot on your screen.

Screenshots can be found in your Pictures folder in a subfolder called Screenshots they are png format. they are quite large about 1.8MB and will need to be resize for web use.

If you miss and the volume changes instead of taking a screenshot wait for at least 30 seconds before trying again.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
How to Take a Screenshot on Your Kindle Fire HDX

Hold Power + Volume buttons down for a second till your hear a camera shutter click sound and see the snapshot on your screen.

Screenshots can be found in your Pictures folder in a subfolder called Screenshots they are png format. they are quite large about 1.8MB and will need to be resize for web use.

If you miss and the volume changes instead of taking a screenshot wait for at least 30 seconds before trying again.
Thanks, that works on the Nexus 7.2 also, so it must be a Android 4.3 thing. I had to use the down volume button though, the up volume didn't work. Pretty screen though....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nexus-7-2-Screenshot.jpg
Views:	1077
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	114395  
Old 10-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Thanks, that works on the Nexus 7.2 also, so it must be a Android 4.3 thing. I had to use the down volume button though, the up volume didn't work. Pretty screen though....

Cool! you need to get rid of screen filter though! Screen Dim is the app to use. It actually lets you lower brightness or contrast or both. It has a widgets so you can put the presets right on your homepage.
It also doesn't interfere with anything like the other app does.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Cool! you need to get rid of screen filter though! Screen Dim is the app to use. It actually lets you lower brightness or contrast or both. It has a widgets so you can put the presets right on your homepage.
It also doesn't interfere with anything like the other app does.
I actually had ScreenDim Full too. It was one I bought from the Amazon app store, so I just installed it on my Nexus 7.2. I forgot I had it. Good thing these stores (Amazon and Google) keep a record of what you bought and let you download them to new devices! Thanks for the info on it. I'll uninstall Screen Filter.

EDIT: Oh yes, much better app. I remember all the preset buttons now. This will be so much better and faster to use.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-31-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I actually had ScreenDim Full too. It was one I bought from the Amazon app store, so I just installed it on my Nexus 7.2. I forgot I had it. Good thing these stores (Amazon and Google) keep a record of what you bought and let you download them to new devices! Thanks for the info on it. I'll uninstall Screen Filter.

EDIT: Oh yes, much better app. I remember all the preset buttons now. This will be so much better and faster to use.
It's best to use compact mode it lets you adjust the screen perfectly because you can see it as you are adjusting. Compact mode doesn't work with all devices but it does on the Kindle Fire and Nexus.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
It's best to use compact mode it lets you adjust the screen perfectly because you can see it as you are adjusting. Compact mode doesn't work with all devices but it does on the Kindle Fire and Nexus.
Thanks, I'll do that.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:22 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Thanks, I'll do that.
Welcome. BTW: I sent you a PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #11
Lyor
Enthusiast
Lyor began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HDX7 Sony PRS-950, , Galaxy Note 10.1 & Tab 7+, Nook STR & HD+
This is a nice site that lets you download APK files from Google. You can then side load the APK.
http://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/
Lyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I've been ask to start a thread where we can post tips and tricks for the HDX.

How To Sideload books on the HDX

It's really easy!

Download the book to the books folder on your HDX.
Do not put it in a one of the sub folders
It will immediately shows up in your Books tab.
No need to restart anymore!

AZW3 works the best. Mobi will work but there is no Table of Contents.
As of Firmware update 13.3.0.5 Mobi books now show a Table of Contents.
You can also put them in /kindle or /Documents folder.

But is there a way to get them to show up in Books list? Sharing options are not available unless Fire thinks it is from Amazon.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
You can also put them in /kindle or /Documents folder.

But is there a way to get them to show up in Books list? Sharing options are not available unless Fire thinks it is from Amazon.
For them to show up under books they will need the ebok tag. Do a search on ebok for more info. Books e-mail to your kindle with have pdoc tag and show up under documents.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:24 AM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
For them to show up under books they will need the ebok tag. Do a search on ebok for more info. Books e-mail to your kindle with have pdoc tag and show up under documents.
Ok, too much trouble I think. Thanks!
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:34 AM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Ok, too much trouble I think. Thanks!
If you set your profile in Calibre to Kindle Fire when you convert it will do it automatically.