Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #91
Mcjam24
Mcjam24 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Thanks for the quick reply. I should have mentioned that its revC and its running 3.13 but it did prompt me to check for an update to the firmware, none as of yet.

Now, for fun I set up my phone to act as a wireless access point, again using wpa2 but it wanted a password instead of a pre-share key(I don't know if they are the same thing) and I used a smaller password of 13 characters again alphanumeric using psk instead of aes and it worked.
So I set my router to use both WPA and WPA2 and both tkip and aes, no joy, then I went from 64 to 63 characters and it worked. now to see how long it lasts.
Mcjam24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #92
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
From what I understand about WPA you are allowed a "pre-share key" (or some devices simply call it a "password") of 63 ASCII characters or 64 hexadecimal digits. See https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm for some explanations.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #93
Jambar
Jambar began at the beginning.

It seems no one can get their Kobo Touch to connect to WPA2 w/ AES encryption. This combination appears to result in the Invalid Password error. Even if you have your router set to recognize WPA2/WPA and AES/TKIP, you will still get the error.

I fixed mine by forcing my router to WPA ONLY w/ TKIP ONLY and reducing my password from 64 characters to 13. There was no need for a factory reset or manually entering my SSID after I did this. It seems that the Kobo Touch just does not recognize WPA2-AES w/ 64 character PWs.
Jambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #94
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambar View Post
IIt seems that the Kobo Touch just does not recognize WPA2-AES w/ 64 character PWs.
But "yes" with wpa2, aes and 63 characters?
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:08 AM   #95
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Fixed mine, bought a new router. Have used exactly the same security as the old one - WPA2 aes, 13 char key. Connected easily - dangerous though, I don't even need to get off the couch to buy a book now.

I have had numerous other problems with my router which is why I took what may seem drastic action.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:34 AM   #96
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
Fixed mine, bought a new router.
What model?
Old 07-02-2011, 12:49 AM   #97
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
What model?
I wonder if some of the routers are having firmware issues? Cheaper to download a new firmware as opposed to buying a new one. Not saying that it will fix it but its a small step that might and save some monies

regards
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:08 AM   #98
zoran
himself

More than few routers have connectivity problems. I still use
old good linksys wrt54gl, with dd-wrt reflashed on it.
Some decent hardware routers have bad, bad firmware on it.
Find compatibility list and go with openwrt or dd-wrt. People
like netgear 3500l model or newer asus.
YMMV.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:13 AM   #99
yum9me
yum9me began at the beginning.

I know the routers provided by New Zealand ISPs are pieces of poop. They always have connectivity issues with some devices. I normally tell my friends to save up and invest in a decent router. The ones that don't get a better router normally end up thanking me later when they finally give in after hours of frustration with devices that won't connect and/or constantly disconnect.
yum9me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:44 AM   #100
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
What model?
A netgear N300 dgn2200 - if that means anything to you! Fairly middle of the range I think (or for us in NZ anyway).

Previously had a belkin n. It had up up to date firmware but I still couldn't get it to connect to my phone or kobo - and it had random disconnects, and speed issues as well. This new one seems really fast, was easy to set up and so far so good.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:23 AM   #101
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

The DGN2000 isn't a bad router... not a stellar performer, but very stable in my experience. They can also be tweaked for a little extra oomph using the DGTeam firmware.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #102
zoran
himself

Quote:
A netgear N300 dgn2200 - if that means anything to you!
Finally found the link to it. Combined device, dsl modem and wifi
router in one box. Not my cup of tea and sounds a bit expensive.
If suits you, perfect.
I take another approach: I would divide parts at any cost. Modem
as provider gave it, router separated from it. Helps to troubleshoot
issues, since they always come.

Quote:
Previously had a belkin n.
A lot of complaints on those routers on forums.
Take a look at this product:
http://www.shopbot.co.nz/pp-netgear-...ar-206151.html
Old 07-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #103
kiwipippa
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJ View Post
The DGN2000 isn't a bad router... not a stellar performer, but very stable in my experience. They can also be tweaked for a little extra oomph using the DGTeam firmware.
Stable, that's what I like to hear. Can live without high performance, but stability is what I need.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #104
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
A netgear N300 dgn2200 - if that means anything to you! Fairly middle of the range I think (or for us in NZ anyway).

Previously had a belkin n. It had up up to date firmware but I still couldn't get it to connect to my phone or kobo - and it had random disconnects, and speed issues as well. This new one seems really fast, was easy to set up and so far so good.
A few years ago I would have recommended belkin, nowadays however its linksys. Belkin has for some reason slipped from good to bad quality for their support.

Glad its working out for you . I have a question thouh regarding "N" do you find it worth the extra money to go to from g? I have a g router (linksys) and with my wifi was wondering if the n would be better, my tivo wifi dongle is g so not sure if it would help any way.

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #105
kiwipippa
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
I have a question thouh regarding "N" do you find it worth the extra money to go to from g? I have a g router (linksys) and with my wifi was wondering if the n would be better, my tivo wifi dongle is g so not sure if it would help any way.

regards

jack
I'm not really sure - I had a belkin g before I got the belkin n. We're in a 2 storey house and the coverage was rubbish so I swapped it out for an n. It seemed to solve the coverage problem.

I did notice that there weren't many g routers for sale, most were n, n+ and even an n++. I am not very techie and just went for what I was familiar with and within a price that didn't make my eyes water too much ($229NZD, which is about $190USD).

But it is certainly much faster than the belkin n was - which was an unexpected bonus.

I'm not sure why wifi has to be so hard - there must be lots of people making money out of setting up wifi for those who have no idea what they are doing, and lots of unsecured networks out there as well.

Work for me today - would rather be at home enjoying the winter sun and reading! Enjoy the rest of your long weekend