Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
so all is ended ?

so.. no new firmware to solve our problems with the reader ?
so nothing of nothing ?
so not even the release to the public of the source code of uds for helping user improvements ?
Gertjan please be kind once again and say a word..
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
sordie
Enthusiast
sordie began at the beginning.

Device: IREX 800SG
Wow - the silence speaks volumes. Oh well. We'll miss you IREX/IRX. I guess it's now time to consider selling my 800SG, and look for a replacement.
sordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Strange thing is, I see Gertjan on the active members list, but he doesn't seem to post.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
I know we've been awfully quiet, but we are still in the process of restructuring the business side of things, so I cannot give much insight on developments or release dates. But I can assure you that development of the firmware continues under IRX, and I continue to visit this place to keep up with community developments and assist where possible.
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Thanks for putting your head above the parapet Gertjan.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
bokjeid
Addict
bokjeid began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Thanks for your answer, Gertjan.
bokjeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:01 AM   #7
ricossa
Geneva
ricossa began at the beginning.

Device: iREX DR800S
Thanks, it's really appreciated
ricossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:25 AM   #8
antistar
Connoisseur
antistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: PRS-500, dr800sg, prs-950, MS SP3, Boox i86ML, Sony Z3TC, KV, Sony RP1
I am glad those of you who still have a working unit have something to look forward to. Gertjan is really kind to be still around. But to be honest the name Irex now leaves a very bitter taste in mouth when I see my 7 months old unit bricked for good with no one to turn to.
I now hate myself for not getting third-party warranty when purchasing on Amazon. Perhaps I was too naive. Misled by the sturdiness of my former sony unit I thought extra warranty would be a waste of money. How wrong I was.
400 bucks for a toy that lasted only half a year. I had loved the unit, and would have still loved it without considering those new models. But truth is I had to spit out another $229 because I can't do without an e-reader and irex has let me down. Sorry repods for whining in your thread. Guess I just can't get over the feeling of being cheated.
antistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:14 AM   #9
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
Well.. seems sordie wants to sell his, so perhaps you can replace your faulty one at reasonable cost, antistar..
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:44 AM   #10
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
Quote:
Originally Posted by antistar View Post
I am glad those of you who still have a working unit have something to look forward to. Gertjan is really kind to be still around. But to be honest the name Irex now leaves a very bitter taste in mouth when I see my 7 months old unit bricked for good with no one to turn to.
I now hate myself for not getting third-party warranty when purchasing on Amazon. Perhaps I was too naive. Misled by the sturdiness of my former sony unit I thought extra warranty would be a waste of money. How wrong I was.
400 bucks for a toy that lasted only half a year. I had loved the unit, and would have still loved it without considering those new models. But truth is I had to spit out another $229 because I can't do without an e-reader and irex has let me down. Sorry repods for whining in your thread. Guess I just can't get over the feeling of being cheated.
don't worry we are all on the same ship..
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
You were running "unofficial" third party firmware, right? Not sure you would have gotten warranty support on it anyway.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
antistar
Connoisseur
antistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: PRS-500, dr800sg, prs-950, MS SP3, Boox i86ML, Sony Z3TC, KV, Sony RP1
True. But at least I would be able to have the machine checked, and would be happy to pay whatever cost due to me to have it repaired. Well, it's no use talking about if-onlys. Come to think about it, it's the third party contributions that make dr800 such a great device. My only regret is Irex's untimely demise and my omission of insurance.
antistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:04 AM   #13
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
It would be really nice if the battery drain bug on DR1000 could be solved. My collegue has also a DR1000 and also his battery is empty after a week when DR1000 is shutoff. We both have the newest firmware.

Its a pitty - the dr1000 is otherwise a very very nice machine.
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:43 AM   #14
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
The 'problem' with the DR1000 is that at least some part of the device needs power to be able to detect your finger at the power-on touch-button. So there will always be some battery drainage (without a hardware patch). I do not know how much this would typically be and if the DR1000 is draining more then that.
So battery drained after a month would be 'normal' with the design of the DR1000, battery drain after a day is certainly a bug, but after a week might be in the grey-zone.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:56 AM   #15
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
True. But at least I would be able to have the machine checked, and would be happy to pay whatever cost due to me to have it repaired. Well, it's no use talking about if-onlys. Come to think about it, it's the third party contributions that make dr800 such a great device. My only regret is Irex's untimely demise and my omission of insurance.
It is sad, but we weren't cheated. Businesses do go bankrupt, what can you do. We should have done our homework before we bought. At least prices have dropped so much in the mean time that you can get a decent replacement for a lot less money. I can only hope that my Irex holds up until some better technology comes along. While it is still in good shape I am quite happy with it.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote