Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-28-2015, 06:53 PM   #16
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I apologize if we sound harsh -- in the past, people have complained, whined and trolled about the file structure of the library backend, to the point where it has become a sore topic.

There is an official sticky and an official FAQ entry as a result, and Kovid Goyal has made it clear that every objection raised will not change his mind -- it is simply not worth it to him to change the library structure at all.

There are several approaches to dealing with the matter, including just dealing with it. Or duplicating your library using save-to-disk.

theducks is merely pointing out that if you simply cannot live without calibre keeping its hands off your carefully chosen filenames... then perhaps calibre is simply not the tool you need.

And the one and only person in charge most emphatically will not change calibre's direction and make it that tool either.

Use the bits of calibre that you like, and get used to or reject the rest. You wouldn't be the only person to write custom scripts utilizing calibre's rich CLI backend to do things strictly the way you are used to.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:16 PM   #17
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Your ebooks file have garbage meta data, I would say you have calibre set to read meta data on import from the file. If the title of the ebook is truncated in meta data then the calibre file name will be truncated. Fix the meta data in calibre then export it using save to disk or folder.

Or set calibre to use file name for meta data on import.

Guessing metadata from file names

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #18
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@gbm -- How many people have to have previously said that calibre will truncate filenames all on its own before you will be convinced?

You have come late to the game, in order to say something factually incorrect!!

I will venture a random guess that the OP is intelligent enough to notice if the metadata in calibre's GUI is totally messed up.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-28-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:29 PM   #19
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
@gbm -- How many people have to have previously said that calibre will truncate filenames all on its own before you will be convinced?

You have come late to the game, in order to say something factually incorrect!!

I will venture a random guess that the OP is intelligent enough to notice if the metadata in calibre's GUI is totally messed up.
NO, not all file names are truncated, I just checked some. But I DO NOT CARE what the file name in caliber is.
Code:
/home/XXXXXXX/Calibre Library/A. Bertram Chandler/Gateway to Never (3603)/Gateway to Never - A. Bertram Chandler.epub
Calibre will only truncated names that are over the limit of IIRC 250 characters.
Code:
/home/XXXXXXX/Calibre Library/S. M. Stirling, Harry Turtledove, Jody Lynn Nye, John Ringo/Exiled_ Clan of the Claw, Book One (1837)/Exiled_ Clan of the Claw, Book One - S. M. Stirling, Harry Turtledove, Jody Lyn.epub
Quote:
Fix the meta data in calibre then export it using save to disk or folder.
The calibre library name will be based on whatever meta data calibre reads when the ebook is imported. Garbage in garbage out.

The MATA DATA in the original ebook file is what is messed up. Read the manual.
I said:
Quote:
Fix the meta data in calibre then export it using save to disk or folder.
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:50 PM   #20
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

You are jumping to a random conclusion that the metadata in the original file is messed up. That conclusion is unwarranted by the facts at your command.

At no point did I state that all filenames are truncated. I did however state that calibre can and will do so, when it deems fit.
I do not care to guess when and how that will trigger, and I will CERTAINLY not try guessing when I have not been told what actual path was used... unless your crystal ball came online and you can tell me the exact path that the OP didn't mention to us?
Quote:
Read the manual.
There are few people who have read the manual more than I have.

P.S. calibre will rename the in-library file whenever you change the metadata. If it left the files wherever they were first added to, that would be in effect violating (to a small extent) Kovid's ironclad rule as laid down in the sticky+FAQ.
Advert
Old 04-29-2015, 09:02 AM   #21
nono01
nono01 began at the beginning.

Device: none
i want to thank this community for being so passionate and quick to react, and thank LadyKate for her understanding and being so diplomatic !

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Your ebooks file have garbage meta data, I would say you have calibre set to read meta data on import from the file. If the title of the ebook is truncated in meta data then the calibre file name will be truncated. Fix the meta data in calibre then export it using save to disk or folder.

Or set calibre to use file name for meta data on import.

Guessing metadata from file names

bernie
I've already tried both : read metadata from the file name and from file contents. The original file name is not truncated neither does the metadata. The metadata in Calibre is ok. The limit of IIRC 250 characters hasn't been reached, far from it.
Moreover, the save to disk or folder doesn't work :

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\save.py", line 172, in do_one_write
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\save.py", line 205, in write_book
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'split'
nono01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:19 AM   #22
nono01

I've tried "Save single format to disk" (desktop) and it worked. Strange...

Last edited by nono01; 04-29-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:51 PM   #23
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nono01 View Post
i want to thank this community for being so passionate and quick to react, and thank LadyKate for her understanding and being so diplomatic !

I've already tried both : read metadata from the file name and from file contents. The original file name is not truncated neither does the metadata. The metadata in Calibre is ok. The limit of IIRC 250 characters hasn't been reached, far from it.
Moreover, the save to disk or folder doesn't work :

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\save.py", line 172, in do_one_write
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\save.py", line 205, in write_book
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'split'
Were you saving one file? Were there more than one file type for this book? What version of Calibre were you using and what OS?

Did you get as far as the screen to select the folder location? I tried to get my version of calibre (2.22 64bit) to give me that error and failed.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:31 AM   #24
nono01

So : I tried saving on several locations (desktop, root of C, etc.) It seems that the pdf format gives the error. Saving more than one kind of format doesn't work either. It works for the pdf by "saving single format to disk". It works with the epub format in any case. I'm on W7 64bits and Calibre 2.26 64bits (now 2.27).
Nonetheless i've reached my goal.