Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
ginakra
ginakra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle Loses "Place" or Bookmark in MP3 files When in Sleep Mode?

Hi all, my Kindle Keyboard 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) B006 (software 3.3) has really had this problem since I bought it, but I didn't know until well past the 30 day return. I have ripped many of my audiobook CD's to MP3's, and when I pause the playback on my Kindle, and it happens to go to sleep, after it wakes up it is back at the beginning of the MP3 file. In other words, it loses the place. It doesn't bookmark the location where I stopped it.

My Kindle 2nd Gen did not do this. I listened to mp3 audiobooks, and when I paused it and let it sleep, it remembered the place after it woke up.

In order for it to remember the place, I have to pause the playback, then exit out of the audiobook to the home screen. Then, when I open the audiobook back up, it has remembered the place, no matter if it went to sleep or not.

Note this is NOT Audible.com audiobooks. Has nothing to do with them, this is regular MP3's I have ripped from cd's.

Does anyone else have this problem or is it just my Kindle? Any old mp3 will work if you want to test it out. I hate having to remember (or wake up enough) to do the procedure to remember the bookmark, usually I forget and have to forward the book 30 seconds at a time to almost all the way to the end, which is really annoying!

Thanks,
Gina
ginakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
ginakra

Doesn't anyone want to throw me a bone on this? Id like to know if anyone has this problem or would test it out for me before I call tech support. I've tried emailing support, but they don't read my whole email and send me a canned response to contact Audible, who has nothing to do with it. If its on all kindle keyboards, then a replacement/buying a new one won't work, and I'll need to talk to software support.

Thanks for any help.
Advert
Old 06-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
chattycathy
chattycathy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Not sure about the K3, but on my Kindle Touch, this is the same. To make the Kindle recognize the mp3 as an audiobook, you have to put it in the "audible" folder in the root directory. When you do this, it appears on your home screen as a "music" file, and remember your place when you pause it. Note: you can't do other things on the Kindle while listening to an audiobook.
Well, at least on the KT, anyways.
chattycathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
ginakra

Hi chattycathy Thank you for replying! I actually do have the mp3s in the Audible folder, and it's still not bookmarking.