Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 03-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
Surveyah
Surveyah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Pocketedge a Nexus?

I have some apps i would like to install, and the PocketEdge is identified as a
HTC Nexus One. I suspect this is why some apps do not show up in marketplace same as they do on my phone (DroidX2). Is there a way to change what it is identified as, or some workaround to get these apps installed. The last one i wanted to use was EverNote but it says its not compatible

SOLUTION: I went to http://www.freewarelovers.com/android, and downloaded an earlier version (Evernote_3.5.1.apk). At first I didnt think it was going to work, but seems to be running and syncing just fine.

Sooooo.....I guess my question now is the same.....can I change how my PE is identifed to Marketplace?

Last edited by Surveyah; 03-22-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Surveyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
greyhair
greyhair began at the beginning.

Device: edge
First, you have to know that since the PE is not a Nexus, The app may or maynot work.
Many multimedia apps are actually hybirds that run both Android DEX code and native linux libraries. Unless the details of the processor and the system match, native libraries will fail and the app will fail, even if you change the ID of the device. Data processing apps tend to be pure DEX code and are very portable (email readers for example).

Now if you want to change the id of the device, you have to modify the build.prop file.
greyhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
Since Entourage never intended this thing to run Google Market (Play) then it doesn't have an entry in Google's database. Simply put, Google has no idea which apps are compatible with this and which aren't.

The person who put together the ALLMINE programmed the Nexus as the device ID as it's the closest match to the PE. The drawback is that a lot of apps that are not compatible with the Nexus (that might be compatible) don't show up on the list, but still this is better than having no Google Market (Play) at all.

If you were to go about editing files to make it into another "device" then you might end up with an app that could possibly brick your PE.
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Surveyah
Surveyah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the advice.....think i'll leave well enough alone ... lol
Surveyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
teledyn
teledyn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: enTourage Pocket eDGe
Long live the pirates!

And that is why god invented all those pirate apk sites
teledyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2012, 04:33 AM   #6
Burgher
Connoisseur
Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Entourage eDGe
I've installed Allmine on my fullsize EE and also found that many apps that I was going to install from Market are marked as incompatible although they do work on the EE when installed from APK files. I've tried changing the device ID in build.prop to all possible kinds of modern devices that do support all those apps to no avail. Then I've tried changing LCD density as advised on some Android-related sites for fixing the incompatibility issues. That didn't help either.

vldmr, the guy that was the first to succeed in installing Allmine on fullsize EE, suggested in PM that
Quote:
I believe application compatibility is determined not as much by model of device, but by its capabilities, many of which are defined in build.prop, but some might be queried by software at runtime. Thing that are determined at runtime would be for example screen resolution, availability of orientation sensors, and other HW related stuff. You can not really change any of those.
Burgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
Could you spell out the steps needed to make allmine work on the full-sized edge ? In another post, vldmr
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...41#post2019041
seems to say that
(i) one just should take the allmine version for the pocketedge and try to install
(ii) write the serial number of the device manually to /system/serial_number
(iii) do sqlite update of library.db
(iv) unpack gapps

especially steps (iii) and (iv) are not clear to me, how do I do (iii) and where do I take gapps from for (iv), are they in the allmine update file ? also in case the device freezes, how do I manually write the serial number to a file, I can do that on a working device, on a nonworking one, I have no clue ...

What did you have to do ?
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
Burgher
Connoisseur
Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fekhner View Post
Could you spell out the steps needed to make allmine work on the full-sized edge ?
HERE.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
teledyn
teledyn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: enTourage Pocket eDGe
I don't mind the Apps rejecting the device but what irks me is Market (Play) refusing to try and then finding the Pirate copy from some shady download site works just fine. The Facebook app for example, has anyone found a reliable source for this?
teledyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
Burgher
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledyn View Post
what irks me is Market (Play) refusing to try and then finding the Pirate copy from some shady download site works just fine.
Yes, that's what's most frustrating for me as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teledyn View Post
has anyone found a reliable source?
Try http://www.androidpit.com/