Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 07-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
yvesleon
yvesleon began at the beginning.

Device: bebook
difficulty installing OI with a mac on my bebook

When i download the software into my mac it creates a zip file.
When i transfer this file on a sd card it creates a file v3update.bin
After clicking on that file it makes a file v3update.bin.cpgz, which after clicking on becomes the .bin file again. and endless loop.
Have heard that i can have OI on my sd card and use either the Bebook software or the OI software, but can not seem to install the oi software.
On my Bebook it shows an empty zip file.

Can anybody help me out please?
Old 07-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I don't have a Mac, but the instructions say:
Quote:
HOW TO INSTALL (update will take max. 10 minutes)

***BEFORE YOU START:***

- BACKUP/COPY ALL CONTENT FROM YOUR BEBOOK TO YOUR PC!!
- MAKE SURE YOUR BEBOOK IS FULLY CHARGED

* Download the update by clicking the orange button
* Check the filesize of the downloaded file. febupdate.rar should be : 37,9 MB (39.753.082 bytes)
(To check : right click the downloaded file and choose : "properties" it will show the actual size. Don't use the update if the filesize is different.)
*Unpack the febupdate.rar file using WinZip or WinRar. (free trial versions: http://www.winzip.com/ and http://www.rarlabs.com/); The filesize of the unpacked file (V3update.bin) should be 55,0 MB (57.671.680 bytes).
* Copy the unpacked file 'V3update.bin' onto the root of an SD card. (SD cardsize should be larger than 128MB, but no greater than 1GB.)
* Turn off the BeBook
* Insert the SD card into the BeBook eReader.
* Press and hold the V+ (volume up button) and turn on the BeBook eReader.
* When the update interface appears, press the "OK" Button to start and wait until it's finished.
* Restart the BeBook.
Done!
So, you need to UNZIP the downloaded file on your Mac and then copy only the resulting file 'V3update.bin' onto the root of an SD card (this card can already be installed in the BeBook if you want, but don't put the file in the BeBook's internal memory). The "root" is the initial folder on the SD card, containing all the other folders and files.

I think the SD card needs to be 1GB or less, or at least the V3update.bin needs to be in the 1st GB of the SD card (which is easiest to arrange with a 1GB card).
Old 07-22-2009, 05:30 AM   #3
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesleon View Post
When i download the software into my mac it creates a zip file.
When i transfer this file on a sd card it creates a file v3update.bin
After clicking on that file it makes a file v3update.bin.cpgz, which after clicking on becomes the .bin file again. and endless loop.
Please try installing Stuffit Expander and use that program to unzip the file.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:35 AM   #4
yvesleon

I am definitely not good at this...

Even though i put the OI software on my SD card, it installed it on my Bebook.
Browsed through it, and found out that it could not open my .lit books, of which I have quite a few, so decided to remove the software

Result... Nothing is working anymore and iget a message saying: invalidate File please check your update file.

Resetting does not help, and removing the battery does nothing, the message stays there and nothing changes.

What I actually wanted to achieve was OI on my SD card, and the original Bebook software on my reader, and then switching from one to the other according to the format of the book I wanted to open.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
What I actually wanted to achieve was OI on my SD card, and the original Bebook software on my reader, and then switching from one to the other according to the format of the book I wanted to open.
If the file name that you used was V3UPDATE.BIN, then you installed OpenInkpot onto your device and your original system is gone. The live version of OI that runs off your SD card has a different file name altogether. Both the live and real version of OI are in the same directory at the OI FTP site, and you just pick the one that you want to download. If you want your original system back, then you need to get the V3UPDATE.BIN file that contains your original system.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #6
yvesleon

Thanks Dave, I have put the V3update .Bin file on the sd card, but my problem now is that the bebook does not react to anything.The red light is shining continuously, and connecting to my mac does not do anything, nor removing the battery.
All it shows is that Invalidate File message
Old 07-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #7
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
All it shows is that Invalidate File message
That means that it cannot read your SD card correctly. You will need to reset the device using a paperclip through the small reset switch hole on the back of the device, and try again with a readable SD card.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
yvesleon

Tried that, and also removing the battery, but no reaction at all.....
Old 07-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Tried that, and also removing the battery, but no reaction at all.....
Have you done all that while the reader was plugged in to a USB port or a USB charger? On my device, I have seen the OEM battery go from 87% to nothing overnight when the device was not even in use! I do not know why that happened, but it may be worthwhile to try your restarts with the device running from USB power if you have not tried that yet.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #10
yvesleon

yes tried that also, but nothing changes
Old 07-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #11
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
yes tried that also, but nothing changes
Sorry, but you have run me out of suggestions. I hope someone else shows up here that can give you better help.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #12
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Device: N516,V3,PRS505,iLiad,eSlick,E60,K3,K4NT,M90,PB912,KoboMini
remove the battery and sd card, plug in the usb charger, press the power button.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #13
yvesleon

no such luck, does not react at all
Old 07-22-2009, 05:39 PM   #14
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Device: N516,V3,PRS505,iLiad,eSlick,E60,K3,K4NT,M90,PB912,KoboMini
Do you still see "Invalidate File" on your screen?
Old 07-22-2009, 05:41 PM   #15
yvesleon

no, now i see version 1.0.5 2008-03-21 checking update data please wait, but the red light is continuously on and it looks stuck there