Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-22-2015, 09:34 AM   #316
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@nowyouare:

Try to base your remap on fc-override-fallback.tpl instead of fc-override-serif.tpl, I'm guessing the CJK stuff more closely matches that .

(And, yeah, that was Futura ^^).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:59 AM   #317
nowyouare
nowyouare began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
@NiLuJe:

I followed your instructions, and it seems to be working!
Thank you
nowyouare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:19 PM   #318
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@nowyouare: Great, now I have a definitive answer for that the next time the question comes up .
Old 08-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #319
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Refreshed the package in the first post with a hotfix for an issue that broke installs when not using MRPI.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-23-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:07 PM   #320
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Hello, Thanks for all your hard work, I see a lot has been done since the last time I hacked a Kindle.

Now I have JB'd my Voyage, installed KUAL, MRPI, and the linkfonts. However I do not have new fonts showing in the list. Do I need to install Python? This is running 5.6.5 (BO13 wifi Voyage). Yes I did the update cache command, and tried it with two different fonts.

Thank you.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:37 PM   #321
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@booklover6: Which list?

You won't ever see custom stuff in the Aa menu. The goal is to *replace* an existing family with a custom one (I usually override Ceacila Condensed), which you can do from KUAL once the menu has been populated.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:51 PM   #322
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@booklover6: Which list?

You won't ever see custom stuff in the Aa menu. The goal is to *replace* an existing family with a custom one (I usually override Ceacila Condensed), which you can do from KUAL once the menu has been populated.
Thanks, that answers my question. So I'll run the python and go from there.

And....success! Wow. Thanks for all the hard work. It is so nice that I won't have to embed my fonts any more!

Last edited by booklover6; 02-06-2016 at 06:10 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:14 AM   #323
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
@NiLuJe: I am trying to replace Palatino with CharisSIL. I have read your post #92 but when I try that, namely in my case:
start with fc-override.tpl, tweak it : TO_OVERRIDE = Palatino; TO_USE = CharisSIL, and save it to linkfonts/etc/conf.d/98-override-Palatino.conf

Palatino gets replaced by Helvetica (although I did write CharisSIL as a replacement in the scrip).

Now if I try to replace the serif default (bookerly) with CharisSil by just using the hack, without manually tweaking a script, that works perfectly well, so CharisSIL seems to be ok.

Is Helvetica the Fallback font, and what am I doing wrong?

I'd love to also replace Futura with Trebuchet. I know you are advising to not replace the sans fonts, but would Futura be less problematic than Helevetica ? Because I never ever ever use Palatino, Futura or Baskerville and it would be great for me to be able to replace them.

PS: I know the font hacks is not your favorite child, but I would really appreciate your help here.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:02 AM   #324
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@aceflor: Are you sure that's actually the proper name fontconfig sees CharisSIL as? (i.e., what name does it show up as in the KUAL Font Override menu?). Space and casing has to be exact.

That's the only thing I can think of that would make it pull the default sans font instead... . IIRC, the handling of Palatino is pretty straightforward, so that should definitely work.

And yeah, I really, really, really don't recommend touching either sans, Helvetica or Futura . Although it's possibly becoming less of an issue on 5.7.x (for Futura & Helvetica), since they've switched to a different sans font in the UI and neither Futura nor Helvetica should be used anywhere in the UI any more.
But I still have stuff to check on FW 5.7.x, so, not ready yet .

EDIT: The latest snapshots should handle FW 5.7.x better, and as mentioned in the previous paragraph, the sans override is now safe (on FW >= 5.7.x, that is).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-07-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:06 PM   #325
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@aceflor: Are you sure that's actually the proper name fontconfig sees CharisSIL as? (i.e., what name does it show up as in the KUAL Font Override menu?). Space and casing has to be exact.

That's the only thing I can think of that would make it pull the default sans font instead... . IIRC, the handling of Palatino is pretty straightforward, so that should definitely work.

And yeah, I really, really, really don't recommend touching either sans or Futura . Although it's possibly becoming less of an issue on 5.7.x (for Futura), since they've switched to a different sans font in the UI and neither Futura nor Helvetica should be used anywhere in the UI any more.
But I still have stuff to check on FW 5.7.x, so, not ready yet .
OK dok, no Futura. I'll check the exact denomination of Charis including casing and will try again and report back.

Thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions !

EDITED TO REPORT : you were right (as always), there was another denomination in KUAL. Changed it accordingly in the script and BAM! it works! Palatino has been replaced by Charis.
FYI:OpenDislexic changed to Helvetica without me doing anything, just with the Font Hack. Don't mind as I would not use it anyway, but it is maybe an interesting info for you. Off now to replace Baskerville...

Last edited by aceflor; 02-07-2016 at 12:38 PM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:30 PM   #326
Gabbb
Enthusiast
Gabbb began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Anyone tried this on 5.7.2 yet?
Gabbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:36 PM   #327
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=133
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:56 PM   #328
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
For what it's worth, I used your snapshot before the refresh for 5.7.2 -- on my Kindle Voyage running 5.7.2. Worked just fine, substituting Georgia for Caecilia Condensed. Is there any reason to run the update?
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:31 PM   #329
Gabbb
Enthusiast
Gabbb began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Thanks! Successfully replaced Cecilia condensed with google Literata.
Gabbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:08 PM   #330
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@rogerinnyc: Unless you're using sans or fallback overrides, it's not critical, no. If you're using a freetype override, there's an updated build, but that's it.

EDIT: Unless you're seeing some issues with the fonts added in 5.7.x, like Open Dyslexic. In which case, update and refresh your overrides.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-07-2016 at 06:58 PM.

Tags
fontconfig, fonts, freetype, hacks, paperwhite, touch